Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » COCKRUM HOSPITALIZED (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: COCKRUM HOSPITALIZED
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
We're with you in spirit Dave!

Get well soon!

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
More hugs from me too. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Get well soon, Dave.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
A faraway hug to a creator who came across as a nice guy willing to spend time with the fans. [hug]

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frog King
The B^|@h is back!!!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frog King   Email Frog King         Edit/Delete Post     
Too bad. Hope He will get well soon!
From: Berlin | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Best wished Dave.

Mrs. C, hang in there.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Best wishes on a speedy recovery Dave! We need you to get back to the old drawing board and show some of these kids how it's done!
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I received the following, via e-mail, through my CBG subscription. The article is avaiable on-line for subscribers.

quote:
Dave Cockrum has been hospitalized with a severe case of double pneumonia, as well as a bacterial infection in his lungs and his blood. He is in stable condition and is being cared for at the Intensive Care Unit at Bronx Veterans Administration Hospital in New York.

Cockrum made his professional debut in 1973 on DC’s Legion of Super-Heroes. One year later, he became one of the last members of Marvel’s now legendary bullpen, where he revamped the then-canceled (and now multi-million dollar producing) X-Men.

Since co-creating the updated X-Men (including Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, and Thunderbird) in 1975, Cockrum has co-created other X-Men characters including Phoenix, Mystique, The Brood, The Imperial Guard, The Shi’ar Empire, and The Starjammers. In addition Cockrum produced his own creator-owned team The Futurians.

Cockrum’s editor at Claypool Comics, Richard Howell, told CBG, “Dave Cockrum is a natural comic-book industry treasure. His love for comics and comics storytelling is evident in every panel, every figure, and every line he draws. He was a major asset to Claypool during his entire tenure here, both on his various Elvira stories and his more than 24 issues of Soulsearchers and Company. I’ve never given up on getting him back, even for a story or two.”

Work by Cockrum and his wife, Paty, appears at www.nightscrawlers.com.

A tribute book to benefit Cockrum is in the works. Contributors include Murphy Anderson, Chris Claremont, Peter David, Harlan Ellison, Tony Isabella, John Romita, Len Wein, Marv Wolfman, Dick Ayers, Mark Bagley, Ron Garney, Marie Severin, Dave Sim, Roy Thomas, Gene Colan, and Stan Lee. A benefit auction is also being planned.

People who do not know Paty Cockrum personally are asked to please not call her home. Cards are welcome and can be sent to:
Dave Cockrum
c/o Bronx VA Medical Center
130 W. Kingsbridge Road
Bronx, NY 10468

For more information contact Clifford Meth at thecliffordmethod@yahoo.com.

Titles Dave Cockrum has worked on include:

Amazing Spider-Man #163 and #188
Avengers #106-108 and #124-126
Batman #411, #412, and #423
Big Bang Comics Vol. 2
Blackhawk #251-255
The Brave and the Bold #167
The Champions (Marvel) #10
Daredevil #140, #141, #143, #145, #146, #151
The Destroyer Vol. 3
Giant-Size Avengers #2-3
Grimmax #0
Iron Man #101, #105-107, #110, and #122
John Carter, Warlord of Mars #1
Justice League Quarterly #9 and #10
Marvel Comics Presents #1-5, #7, #22-23, and #41
Nightcrawler Vol. 1 #1-4
Prime (Vol. 1) #19
Punisher: Bloodlines #1
The Sensational She-Hulk #54
Shadow State #1
Soulsearchers and Company #29 and #43-44
Star Trek (2nd series) #1-3
Superboy (1st series) #202, #295
Wally Wood’s T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents #1-4
Uncanny X-Men #145-#150, #153-158, and #161-#164
Vampirella: Summer Nights #1
Vigilante #44
Weird War Tales #99
Werewolf By Night #42
X-Men (1st series) #94-#111, #117-119, #121-122, and #124-126
X-Men (2nd series) #109

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Dave was taken off the respirator but is still very weak. Newsarama has an update and more information on the Tribute to be published.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the info. I spent 2 hours last night putting together a “get well” card, and sent it out today.
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Received this email through the Interlac APA list:

Mercy Van Vlack and I just got back from visiting Dave Cockrum in the hospital. He's doing well, relatively speaking. He's out of intensive care, but is very weak and tired. The worst seems to be over and it seems that he's at the point where physical therapy will be able to fix him up.

The address to visit or send cards is:

Bronx Veteran Affairs Medical Center

Floor 7C, Room 9B,

130 W. Kingsbridge Road,

Bronx, NY 10468.

He can't always pick up the phone. The nearest subway is the #4 to Kingsbridge Rd. Walk past the Armory on your right and the hospital is on your left in about five minutes. The only entrance is past the parking lots.

Also, Dave would like to embarrass Marvel. Not only are they not giving him the credit and money he is due on the New X-Men and the characters he created for them, not only are they not giving him work now, not only are they insulting him when they don't give him work, but they're not acknowledging his presence in the hospital.
DC at least sent flowers and a card.

He also gave me permission, hell, he urged me to spread the information around, so please forward this to whatever lists and chat rooms and people you feel might be interested.

Sorry to bring the bad news to those of you who didn't know, but at least it's not all bad.

Ken

Ken Gale

http://www.comicbookradioshow.com

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Come on Dave! We need you back healthy and happy again. SInce Marvel doesn't seem intelligent enough to recognize your incredible talent maybe DC will and in a stroke of genius, bring you back to the Legion fulltime. Here's hoping!

Get well soon!

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imskian78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imskian78   Email imskian78         Edit/Delete Post     
Dave, hope you get to read this. Im sure you will be up and about in no time. Just wanted to take this time to thank you for what you did for The Legion. Iv'e been a fan for years and I can tell you that your costume designs were a big part of why I have created my own world and characters for the past twenty years. It is a shame that politics get in the way as to the way creators/artists are brushed aside with no credit for the things they contribute to the world of comics just what you created with Xmen is huge! Anyway know that there are alot of people who have enjoyed your work and wish you well...Dean
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmeraldEmpress
Beautiful & Merciless

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmpress   Email EmeraldEmpress         Edit/Delete Post     
From Spain all my force for my hero Dave.
I hope you recovers soon.

--------------------
From Spain with glamour.

From: Valencia- Spain | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saturnrings
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saturnrings   Email saturnrings         Edit/Delete Post     
Get well soon, Dave. A card is on the way.
From: durham, nc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.