Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » The Uncanny Dave Cockrum Tribute (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Uncanny Dave Cockrum Tribute
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
This is a wonderful tribute to Cockrum's work. I was so pleased to see there's text - thought it would be just artwork. ("Just" artwork indeed!) Lots of Nightcrawler images and a few of Dave himself.

Funny, but for all the dramatic illustrations, my favourite was a very simple line drawing by Darwyn Cooke of Professor Xavier flying out of his wheelchair. A lot of emotion in that image.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chameleon Boy
World Changer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chameleon Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Chameleon Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, it's out finally!! Good, great, stupendous and darnit, it's not here yet.

Nightcrawler, did you order your's directly from Aardwolf?

I did so if they have shipped then it should be here along with my signed copy of FUTURIANS #0 and AARDWOLF COMIC BOOK #1 (finally located the reciept, guess I got 3 books coming from them! [Smile] )

Thanks! [Smile]

[Chameleon Boy]

--------------------
---Changing my Personal Circle with Courage and Love---

From: RWC, CA USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Nope. I ordered mine through my CBS, so it arrived on Thursday with the other books.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Wow. This is excellent.

Jim Lee and JHW3 both did standout Futurians pieces! [Love]

The linework on the Cooke Xavier drawing FC mentioned is beautiful.

My favorite of the moment is Walt Simonson's X-Men/LSH vs. the Brood!

I can't WAIT to get some of these scanned and try coloring them. [Color Kid]

-- [Poverty Lad]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Nope. I ordered mine through my CBS, so it arrived on Thursday with the other books.

Oops! [Embarrassed] Spoke too soon. I apparently also ordered a copy directly as it arrived in the mail the other day. Now I've got two of these beauties! [Smile]
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chameleon Boy
World Changer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chameleon Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Chameleon Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Sigh........... still waiting.............

[Chameleon Boy]

--------------------

From: RWC, CA USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
"Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong."

Icon 1 posted      Profile for l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN   Email l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN         Edit/Delete Post     
went to pick up my Cockrum tribute book that my comic book shop was holding for me and i gotta say it's great. with the exception of George Perez and John Byrne's contributions which were omitted or left out and the price, for $30.00 i expected a lot thicker book. i mean the Legion companion is twice as big as the Cockrum book and $5.00 less,.... go figure? [Confused] all in all i'm glad i got the book and it's all for a good cause.

ps i loved pgs#84-85 of the book the Neil Adams and Joe Rubinstein contribution were touching. :-)

[ August 05, 2004, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN ]

--------------------
Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/

From: Yonkers N.Y | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Cockrum's influence continues.... The X-Men previews show that girl Wolverine character sporting (of all things) Cockrum's Fang costume (from Imperial Guard). I wonder what explanation they'll come up with for that.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
is it b&w or color?

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
B&W.
Pov

And as I said before, begging to be scanned and colored...! [Color Kid]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Finally got my copy today along with the signed copy of Aardwolf #1 (signed by Dave, Paty and Clifford Lawrence) and the Futurians special issue.

Can't wait to flip through the Tribute.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
begging to be scanned and colored...! [Color Kid]

What they said.
The closest thing I've seen to Adams/Rubenstein was an issue of Warlord where Grell was really on his game and his pencils were made beautiful by Joe Rubenstein's fantastic inks. I'm dying to see the real thing now, not just Joe inking a guy who kind of draws like Neal.

Wow, I'll bet it's a sweet piece of work.

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

Sorry, YK, but they didn't actually do a joint piece of work. [Frown]

P.84 was Adam's 2nd contribution to the tribute, a picture of Dave's X-Men welcoming/reaching out to a wheelchair-bound Dave; p. 85 is a beautiful portrait of Dave by Joe Rubenstein, with an inscription along the lines of "Thanks for letting me be a part of YOUR X-Men." [Smile]

Touching stuff.

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

Chameleon Boy
World Changer

Finally got mine a day ago. [Smile] WOW!! Totally worth it and a very touching tribute.

It's really great that so many pro's and friends came together to make this all happen!!

Iron Mike telling his story and revealing that Lightening Lad is his favorite character and that he loved that costume design is one of his all time favorites, that's some nice praise. I have to agree. It's a fine looking costume design!! [Smile] Mike did justice to it.

There are many other pages that I liked but I was a bit confused by Mike Nassers contribution, took me a moment to figure out who those two characters were!! [Eek!] [Eek!]

I also got a signed copy of Aardwolf and Futurians Special Collectors Issue. Nice stuff. I can't wait for Futurians #1 to come out (I think Dave's planning on making that happen but I think, in all honesty, that he should ask DC or Image or some other stable independent company to "host" the book so there is good support, in-house feedback and a place to call home without worring about it going belly up [Big Grin] )

[Chameleon Boy]

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.