Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Fanfic Lass' Fantabulous Land of Eighties Enchantment (Page 9)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  17  18  19   
Author Topic: Fanfic Lass' Fantabulous Land of Eighties Enchantment
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't think I've heard any but the original version. I'll have to look it up.

I think it's funny that my spouse the ex-jock has Depeche Mode and the Furs on his playlist. I'm always ragging him about it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Have you or your spouse ever listened to the Teardrop Explodes' great 1980 album "Kilimanjaro"?

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Doesn't ring a bell, but The Negro Problem has a song called "The Teardrop Explodes."

...Mister Mellencamp, find me a hip small town that's free
Of them serial rednecks and all
With a righteous deli, arty bookstore, with Chomsky
Speaking down at the Veterans' Mall...

[Tyroc] [Band]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Cleome bumping this thread reminded me that I was thinking just the other night about one post I made:

quote:
Originally posted by Stealth:
Mandy Moore did a surprisingly good cover of that song on her surprsingly good all-covers album "Coverage." Other 80s songs she covered were Joe Jackson's "Breaking Us In Two" and The Waterboys' "The Whole of the Moon." I wish that album had been a hit, because I would have loved it if she'd done a sequel where she covered Julian Cope's "World Shut Your Mouth."

I neglected to mention that besides "Senses Working Overtime", "Breaking Us In Two", and "The Whole of the Moon", she covered a fourth 80s song, Joan Armatriding's "Drop the Pilot."

--------------------

cleome46

D'awww... [Love]

Joan Armatrading was so awesome back then. I wasn't too impressed with what I heard of her last "Blues LP," but it's nice that she can still get out the crowds, right?

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Yeah, anyone who can make a living doing what they like for almost 40 years deserves respect.

"Drop the Pilot" producer Val Garay also produced the Motels. I love Martha Davis, I think she has (had?) a great voice.

--------------------

cleome46

The Eighties did have some good female belters. Laurie Sargent from Face 2 Face (?), for instance? They tried to recast her in the Lilith Fair soloist mode in the Nineties, but it didn't suit her personality as well. (Though I have nothing against solo female singers.)

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

I have nothing against solo female singers, either, but I could never get behind Lilith Fair with its faux-crusty/faux-folkie/male-hating/transgender-hating vibe. That's also why I ended up exiling myself from the lesbian community as a whole, BTW.

--------------------

cleome46

I thought it was MWF that had an issue with transgendered women, not Lilith.

At any rate, I'll worry about their "man-hating" (???) when the industry proper gets over its misogyny-- but I'm not holding my breath.

Wiki says that one of the LF co-founders commented that you couldn't even get a radio station ten years ago to play two woman artists back to back. I remember from my stint listening to "hit" and "alternative" radio all day while temping in '09/'10 that nothing's changed in that regard.

The local "alternative" station played three songs by women during an eight-hour workday... if you were lucky. The "classic" rock station played maybe that many every two days. New decade, same old sh*t.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I hate general radio...and honestly from what I've heard on Sat. Radio, it's not much better.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Wow. I can be really bitter sometimes, can't I? Sometimes I'll look back at something I posted and cringe. This is one of those times.

Let's get the thread back on track. Before I took us on a bitterness tangent, I believe we were talking about 80s female singers with belting voices.

How can we forget Patty Smyth? Sure, she ended up in the middle of the road all too quickly, but "Goodbye To You" and "The Warrior" are classics.

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Aimee Mann (Til Tuesday) singing Voices Carry. Awesome Voice.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

I still like Wendy MaHarry a lot. I had "Fountain of Youth" as my sig line/link for a while there.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

I bought The Best of Altered Images CD for a dollar, and I got a lot more than my money's worth.

Clare Grogan was the original childlike frontwoman, paving the way for Liz Fraser and Harriet Wheeler.

I definitely remember hearing the delightful pop confections "I Could Be Happy" and "Don't Talk to Me About Love" when I was in grade school.

They also had the good taste to record T. Rex's "Jeepster" as a B-side, long before T. Rex became retro-hip.

The only duds on the album are the third-to-last and second-to-last singles, which hurt them so badly that their final single, a return to form titled "Change of Heart", didn't even chart in the UK.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

I LOVE "Don't Talk to Me About Love"!

--------------------

This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.