Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Fare thee well... (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Fare thee well...
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
I did indeed get the Marriot job. My understanding was there were about 150 candidates, and they picked me. So, I work at the front desk and as a night auditor now.

One funny part is - I was at a nearby Hampton interviewing for another hotel job (which was also offered) when I got the call that I was hired for the Marriot job.

It is nice not to dread going to work every day. The job also has some perks - cheaper hotel rates if I travel, and free meals. I also work with some very pretty young ladies, which doesn't hurt. I mean really pretty. It makes me wish I was much better-looking, or much richer, but then, I wish for those occasionally anyway.

This, however, has been a rough week for me personally. My wife's dad never seemed to care for me much. I don't know if it is because I am not Catholic or for other reasons. He took my family (my wife and 3 kids) to Disneyworld this week while the kids are on spring break. It is like he is rewarding my wife for our separation. Or, maybe I am being oversensitive.

The part that hurts is, my wife either turned off her cell phone or let the charge die down. This means, I can't call them. I have tried to call many times to make sure they are ok and see how they are doing. But - I am totally cut off from my kids, and I hate it. Even if her cell battery died, I don't see why she couldn't use one of her parents' cell phones to let the kids call me for a few minutes.

I just don't see how people can be so inconsiderate.

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Congratulations on the job, lance.

Although you didn't ask for advice, mine would be to focus on and celebrate the positive. It may take your wife and her family some time to come to terms with what has happened. Even though the separation was her idea, she is probably still hurting. Give her time, and don't assume she's turned off her phone just to spite you.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, and a couple of other things.

I actually did send a letter (return receipt requested) to the people from the mobile home. The guy called me and said he would send some money last week. Then he said yesterday. Then he said he got paid today, and I am supposed to hear from him. I have not yet heard from him today. I seem to be getting stalled, so we'll see what the next few days bring. I actually did talk to the police about taking them to small claims court, so I know what to do if they don't come through.

On to other things. I have asked this before, but - is there anyone out there who would let me call them and talk to them? I am still pretty lonely, would like to have more people to talk to. If this is ok, pm me your number, your name (or whatever you want me to call you) and the times most convenient for you. I still have some numbers from some people, but I know schedules change and just want to be sure my calls would be welcome.

Thanks to everyone for being so supportive, and I hope to see some of you soon in Chicago!

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Well, thanks, HWW. You're likely right - they are probably so busy and having so much fun that it is just an oversight. Pretty big oversight, though, IMHO.

If my wife is hurting at all, she is hiding it well.

Ah, well, gotta stop wallowing in self-pity and get out more.

Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
I am SOOOO happy you're out of a job you hate. Isn't it so much better?

Re: Mr. Mobile Home:

1) Write down the date and time he said those things, unless he actually wrote them to you, which of course is better. It is admitting the debt. If he leaves it as a message on your answering machine, bring a tape of it to court. If he hems and haws even for a second when the judge asks if that's him on the tape, they tend to lose their case. [Smile]

2) is he the one who technically owes you or is it her? I seem to remember that it's her mobile home in which you were living, yet you were making your checks out to him. Well, it's good at least that he's the one saying he'll repay you, but there may still be the issue that he doesn't own the home, if they're being cagey.

If you still get copies of your checks back, and they have "rent" in the memo line, hopefully a rational judge will ignore actual ownership as irrelevant. Your proof shows you paid him, and he admits he owes you. Should be enough.

Good luck, and again, SO F-ING glad you're out of that last job.

From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Congrats on the Marriot job.

As for the mobile home guy, Shining Son said it all. The only thing I would add is that if you do end up in small claims court, put both of them as defendents.

See if you can get them to go on Judge Judy. [Wink]

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
I would avoid Judge Judy because she could shred you too just for misspeaking for a moment, and with all the family stuff you have going, you don't need that to happen to you on TV. [Smile]
From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

I just called him. He said he didn't get paid today after all, but should get paid Monday. I am being patient, so we'll see.
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
Good to hear things are starting to look brighter for you Lance.

And being patient about the mobile home situation is good...honey and vinegar and all that jazz

From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Yes, he doesn't need to know you're recording every phone call, but do record them. [Smile]
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[snip]

quote:
Originally posted by lancesrealm:
...I also work with some very pretty young ladies, which doesn't hurt. I mean really pretty. It makes me wish I was much better-looking, or much richer, but then, I wish for those occasionally anyway...

First of all, congrats about landing the job you really wanted. (After almost four years of being in Job Purgatory myself, you have no idea how much reading this warms the cockles of my black, shriveled little heart.)

Second of all, don't sell us middle-aged women short. Maybe we're not always the most photogenic, but we can be fun to hang out with anyway. (And there's nothing wrong with asking anyone you're interested in to go Dutch to the movies or whatever. This is the 31st Century, after all! [Poke Joke] )

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by lancesrealm:
Well, thanks, HWW. You're likely right - they are probably so busy and having so much fun that it is just an oversight. Pretty big oversight, though, IMHO.

If my wife is hurting at all, she is hiding it well.

Ah, well, gotta stop wallowing in self-pity and get out more.

I know you're hurting, and I know this is tough.

My mother died shortly before Thanksgiving in 1993. For Christmas that year, my aunt (my mother's sister) wanted to travel as therapy. She invited me to go along, and we flew to Corpus Christi, TX, to get away. Meanwhile, my brother and my dad, who both had to work, stayed home.

Subsequently, my aunt and I were disturbed to find out that my brother and dad did not get together for Christmas. Each stayed home and dealt with grief in his own way. (I suspect each was waiting for the other to pick up the phone, but I never asked.)

There were a lot of emotions surrounding all of us at the time, and a lot of ways, both healthy and unhealthy, to deal with them. Was it wrong for my aunt and me to go on a trip? No, I don't believe so. Should we have felt guilty because my brother and father stayed home alone? No, that was their choice.

I guess my point is, we can't really know what's going through each other's minds. Outward appearances may be deceiving. I don't know you or your family, lance, and I'm not choosing sides. But I know from painful personal experience that it does no good to impute motives to the other person without solid evidence . . . and solid evidence is hard to come by when you're hurting.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

I think it's great to make sure you always give the benefit of the doubt whenever you can. I've lived that way most of my life.

I've learned that it's also important to realize when someone frequently and consistently causes you to activate the benefit of the doubt and you need to look carefully to make sure you haven't become an enabler of some sort. At some point, if there's a preponderance of anecdotal evidence, your guard needs to go up.

There's nothing wrong with letting her know that in the future you'd like to be able to maintain contact with your kids during long vacations.

Frankly, if you don't say this, and if what you've told us about her before is accurate, I gather she'd use it as evidence that you didn't care that you didn't speak to them for a week (or however long).

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Shining Son:
Yes, he doesn't need to know you're recording every phone call, but do record them. [Smile]

Not necessarily true. Some states make it a crime to record a conversation without the other person knowing. From a quick look, it seems that Kentucky has a one person consent law. Which means that only one party of the telepone conversation neds to consent to the recording. Obviously if lance records the telepone conversation, he is giving consent.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

I did talk to her about it today. I told her I was upset that for 6 days I didn't hear from them. She said that her cell battery died, and she didn't realize it. She did say she kept expecting me to call, but wasn't using her cell phone so she didn't know her battery was dead. I told her that I was really worried, since I had no way of knowing if anyting had gone wrong. She didn't have anything to say to that. This conversation was quite civil - no yelling and I tried not to make any accusations or try to place blame.

This wasn't an easy conversation for me. It has always been very hard for me to confront people I care about about things they do that I don't like. Still, I told her how I felt, and I feel better.

It's a start, I suppose.

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.