Legion World
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Kill-this-Thread III:The Thread That Would Not Die (Page 75)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 134 pages: 1  2  3  ...  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  ...  132  133  134   
Author Topic: Kill-this-Thread III:The Thread That Would Not Die
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Ann Marie (played by Marlo Thomas) is often cited as TV's first feminist: She was a single woman living alone in New York; however, my feeling is that TV's first feminist was Samantha Stephens. Samantha was a strong, smart woman, who, even though she chose a very conventional life, lived the life she chose.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Bewitched has a strong misogynistic streak to it. "I'm your husband and I say "no witchcraft'!" "yes dear"

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
It's more like Samantha says "Yes, dear," and then proceeds to do what she needs to get done. It was a product of its time, but certainly Sam fared better than most contemporary TV wives.

One can also make the argument that she chose to submit to Darrin's wishes for her not to use her powers because they made him feel inadequate and she was respectful of his feelings. Samantha could well be TV's first feminist, but Durwood had a lot to learn.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
In that respect Tony Nelson was much more confident. He didn't want Jeannie to do everything for him. He wanted to do things for himself. However, he would let her use her magic to do mundane chores, like vacuuming and cooking and getting the newspaper.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Jeannie on the other hand was about as far from feminism as one could get. Maybe she would have been happier with Durwood and Sam with Tony.

--------------------

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Not really. First, one could argue that as a genie she was required to be subservient or that it was part of her nature. Yet she was also strong willed. Many times Jeannie would disobey her master if she thought she knew better or if she wanted something for herself (basically getting rid of competition for Tony's affections).

She also wore what she wanted (aka the harem costume), but when the situation called for it, she would dress conventionally.

I don't think Jeannie would have been happier with Darren as she had a need to use her powers. And Darren still was the controlling personality that would not have allowed her to.

Getting back to the first feminist character on TV, one would have to include Victoria Barkley (Barbara Stanwyck) from The Big Valley. She owned and ran a ranch and a very successful one too.

--------------------

Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

I never really saw The Big Valley, but then I never cared for westerns, with the possible exception of Wild, Wild West, which was only a western by setting. It was more a spy/action show.

--------------------

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Gene Roddenberry once described Star Trek to some TV executives as Wagon Train in space.

--------------------

Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Funny how no one really even remembers Wagon Train now.

Wild, Wild West on the other hand--Robert Conrad running around shirtless in those pants that looked like they were painted on! Mmm-mmm-good! [Drool]

--------------------

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

I hated those pants. He should have taken them off.

--------------------

Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

I'm pretty sure the network censors had something to do with that.

--------------------

Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
I've never even heard of "Wagon Train" before. Then again we didn't get cable in my hometown till '88
From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Wagon Train is particularly notable for late appearances by Ward Bond.

Something I've realized recently is that one of the things that made Star Wars really unique is that it was heavily influenced by the Western genre (along with Samarai films and a dash of Lawrence of Arabia), much more than by older sci fi films.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Star Wars was also heavily influenced by mythology, particularly the scholarly work of Joseph Campbell.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

That's why Campbell soups are mmm mmm good!

--------------------

This topic comprises 134 pages: 1  2  3  ...  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  ...  132  133  134   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.