Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » What is Your Legion World Story? (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: What is Your Legion World Story?
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Raging Bull:
I signed up, and one of the people I got to know soonest was bellbookcandle/Seahorse -- whom I also had the opporunity to meet later that year. Unfortunately, he never made the move over to LW, but I'm glad we still manage to keep in touch through the magic of modern-day social media.

You're still in touch with Seahorse?!?! I wasn't aware that anyone still was! How's he doing, and what's he been up to?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leather Wolf
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leather Wolf   Email Leather Wolf         Edit/Delete Post     
I just joined Legion World only a couple of days ago, but I've been checking in on these posts for a number of years.

I first got acquainted with the Legion by reading old issues that my older brother had collected during the 1960's and 70's. I fell in love with the comic at that point. Timber Wolf, Ultra Boy, Lightning Lad and Cosmic Boy were my favorite characters.

I started my own collection with issue #303 (Sept. 1983) and faithfully collected all the Legion titles until #38 Baxter series (1987) when I quit my senior year of high school to save up money for college. I wanted to collect the Legion again after college but discovered that the Legion had been rebooted and lost interest, though my collection traveled with me over the years. When I discovered the Legion cartoon series I became like a kid again. My wife just rolled her eyes and joined me in making the Legion must-see TV.

I stopped by Legion World and other Legion sites many times over the years to see what was going on but never bought any comics since my "Legion" was long gone. Then last year, after I bought my iPhone and off-the-cuff decided to download the DC Comics app and discovered Legion Lost #1 with Timber Wolf, Dawnstar, Tellus and Wildfire on the cover, I was hooked because I knew the old Legion was back! Needless to say I've spent the last 10 months collecting all of the past issues of the retro-boot Legion to get back up to speed. Fortunately I don't have to collect all of the past 20 years since all of the re-boots don't fit into current continuity. (Though I do feel bad with you guys who lost "your" versions of the Legion when it got re-booted over and over throughout the years.

By the way, my favorite Legionnaires are still Timber Wolf, Ultra Boy, Lightning Lad and Cosmic Boy. To that list I now add Dawnstar, Dream Girl, the revised Tyroc, Tellus and Invisible Kid II.

The Legion has been the only comic I've ever collected (except for the short-lived Atari Force). I prefer my comics set in the future so that there might be a possibility that those events could happen some day.

Thanks for letting me be a part of Legion World!

From: South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by Raging Bull:
I signed up, and one of the people I got to know soonest was bellbookcandle/Seahorse -- whom I also had the opporunity to meet later that year. Unfortunately, he never made the move over to LW, but I'm glad we still manage to keep in touch through the magic of modern-day social media.

You're still in touch with Seahorse?!?! I wasn't aware that anyone still was! How's he doing, and what's he been up to?
Is he on FB?!?!?!
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Welcome to the party Leather Wolf. Glad you decided to stop lurking and take the plunge.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Welcome Leather Wolf! Jump right in ! [Big Grin]
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Welcome, Leather Wolf! You should try to collect the rest of the Baxter series after 38 and then sample Vol. 4. thru around issue 60 (the first top-to-bottom reboot happened after that). It was a controversial run, but it continues the Levitz run after an in-story 5-year gap in which the Legion breaks up. Some here hated it, some loved it. (Count me among the ones who loved most of it.) In any case you gotta read it to believe it! [Yes]

Hell, even the reboot that happened after Zero Hour is worth checking out! It's mostly very good, imo, with only one really forgettable period.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leather Wolf
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leather Wolf   Email Leather Wolf         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the recommendation Lard Lad! I have already started working on collecting the rest of the Baxter series. It's a good read. I'll have to sample the 5 year gap, but my next goal is to start filling in the gaps prior to my 1983 collection.
From: South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Welcome to the party, Leather Wolf! [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Leather Wolf:

(Though I do feel bad with you guys who lost "your" versions of the Legion when it got re-booted over and over throughout the years.

Thanks for letting me be a part of Legion World!

Thanks for the sympathy. There are quite a few of us Postboot Legion fans here, though I'm happy to say that the majority of posters appreciate elements of all Legion "boots".

It's our pleasure to have you on board!

And I agree with Lard Lad's recommendation - Ultra Boy and Cosmic Boy were among the most prominent Legionnaires in the vol. 4 run, and Tyroc and Invisible Kid II also had very good development during that run. And let's just say you'll see a very different side of Dream Girl in those issues!

Good luck with your collection - I believe a lot of us had to scour the back issue bins of many comic book shops to complete ours, so maybe some of the great people here can suggest some places for you to continue your search.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Leather Wolf:
Thanks for the recommendation Lard Lad! I have already started working on collecting the rest of the Baxter series. It's a good read. I'll have to sample the 5 year gap, but my next goal is to start filling in the gaps prior to my 1983 collection.

I highly recommend the Legion Archives as a nice way of collecting early Legion stories. The recently published Volume 13 contains Levitz's earliest Legion tales.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.