Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Fare thee well... (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Fare thee well...
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
I would be making all of He Who Wanders' points right now, but he saved me some time [Smile] . So here's the rest of what I have to say:

First of all, don't think TOO hard on this. I mean do think it through, of course, but realize that unless there's some hard and fast thing about the future you can be absolutely sure of, there's no point in picking a slightly more likely maybe over a regular maybe if you hate the former.

And clearly, you do.

As someone who's doing a job he loves, even though in this economy he's a luxury and therefore making 30% less in the last 4 years than before, I have to tell you the world is so much better if you're not hating your job.

If you're happier, you're healthier, and you're a better dad to your kids.

It you had any more reason to expect good things from your current job than you say, it would be different.

I say get the hell out of there. Yes, I'm a stranger on the internet who doesn't know much about you, or the entirety of your situation, but going by all you've presented so far, I have no problem saying there's a clear choice here. There's just not enough promise to make up for the down side of your current job. Also, unless you've actually SEEN someone promoted from within at Convergys, don't even give it much thought, my experience is it's much easier to move up by moving out. Especially in the situation you're in, where moving up would be to a job unrelated to the skills you're currently displaying. Unless you have a great boss who's observant and intelligent, it's not particularly likely.

Plus, if you're really qualified for that possible future position, you can still apply for it even if you're a former employee, as long as you left on good terms (gave enough notice, followed all applicable rules, didn't tell anyone off when leaving...)

In the end you might miss a good opportunity at the place you hate, but life is too short and you have kids to see. And they don't need to see a dad who's entire life except the moments he's with them is horrible, it puts too much stress on those moments to be perfect.

Seriously, haven't you been unhappy long enough?

From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Thank you all. I am going to bed now. I still need to think more about this.
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Actually, one more thing. Yes, I have seen people promoted at Convergys. One of the key things they look for is attendance. They seem to look more for availability, rather than ability.

But...is it worth it? Even the promotions are basically the same job. It would take me years to get a job I might be happy with.

Currently, I am thinking I might take the hotel job, if it is offered. Which I thinnk it will be.

Ah, well, whatever I do, I am sure I'll regret it...

Yes, I am a little bit cynical these days.

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
Your history (as my own) is a strong force pushing you towards cynicism, but remember that you regretting it is no more definite than is getting a better job at the place you hate. [Smile]

Dude, PLEASE don't wait years to be happy. A few years is an eternity to kids. You know you'll be happier at the hotel and you know you hate where you are. It sounds like everything else is either so close to equal or so indefinite that it's not worth any extra pain. Even if it was a choice between one you can't stand and can barely stand it would be clear.

But if you're considering all possibilities, here's another one: I don't see attendance being your strong point with all you're going through. You're going to want days off here and there for special occasions with your kids like school plays and emergencies, and god forbid, court dates. That's only going to put you at the back of the promotion line at hated-job. While there's no guarantee, my impression is that hotels are generally more understanding of schedules, and more appreciative of work quality.

From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
If you really hate the job, and Marriott is anywhere comparable in pay, it sounds like a clear decision. But yet nother change in so short a time can be a bit daunting.

Imagine that I am Marriott for a moment. Imagine that I call you up and said, "sorry, but we've given the job to someone. Else." how does that make you react? Is it relief? Disappointment? Maybe that helps...

Anyway, good luck with your decision.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
If you'd be happy at Marriott, and they're paying you enough to survive on, then taking that job seems like the right thing to do.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Kent makes a good point that change itself can be off-putting, especially after your recent upheavals. Try very hard though to recognize a change for the BETTER, and don't turn away from it just because it's change.

Instead focus on not having your stomach in knots every morning. You don't just say you hate your job, you repeat it immediately:

"I hate the job. I hate it."

You are overwhelmed with anxiety every morning at the mere thought of going to work!!!

You used to be a stay at home dad and repress how unhappy you were and look where that got you. How could it be any better to go to work and do the same thing?

lancesrealm
amiable

You guys are making a lot of sense. I really wasn't leaning towards one job or the other, but I do appreciate your input.

I think I will take the hotel job, if it is offered, and I am 90% sure it will be.

In other news, I called my wife tonight, and we had a pleasant conversation. It was nice. It even gives me hope.

Shining Son
oversexed young adult

And if for some reason the hotel job falls through, keep applying at other hotels. Or anything else you might not hate.
lancesrealm
amiable

Thanks for the advice, SS. If I ever get to New York, I'm buying you lunch.
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Putting something in my mouth to get me to stop talking? [Smile]
lancesrealm
amiable

1) I have no idea how to respond to that. I tried to think of something clever, but they all seemed too dirty or too gay, so I'll just pretend I'm distracted by something else.

2) I didn't mean to seem insensitive to everyone else. If I ever meet any of you (who have all been so wonderfully supportive!) lunch is on me. Not literally.

3) I did call the hotel today. It turns out there was an ad so there are many people applying. (I applied a few months ago and they pulled my application and called me.) The position is nowhere near as certain as I thought. Still, I will keep looking for something else.

Thanks again to everyone for your concern.

Shining Son
oversexed young adult

You would have had to work pretty hard to be too gay for me.

I thought there might end up being more competition than you thought for the hotel job, if only because there's SO MANY people out of work. But it's just a numbers game, the more you apply, the more likely one of them will happen to pick you out of the qualified applicants.

But the fact that they called you first means your resume must be decent, so keep sending it out, or dropping it off, whatever you do with resumes these days.

lancesrealm
amiable

Sometimes, the strangest things happen...

I interviewed for the hotel job awhile back. The lady who interviewed me was named Lorraine Sanz. The interview went extrememely well. I had never met her before the interview. Then, a few days later...

I was at the house, watching the kids while my wife did some volunteer work at the Catholic church. My oldest son (almost 11) gets a call from a boy in his class. They are supposed to be working on a project for school that day. He gives me the phone so I can talk to the boy's mother. I take the phone, and I hear a voice, "Hi! Lorraine Sanz here!"

It took me a few seconds. I immediately wondered how she got my home number (where I don't live) and why she was calling on a Saturday morning. Then I realized, her son was my son's partner for the school project. I spoke to her a bit, then I said, "Ms. Sanz, do you know who I am?"

She was silent a moment and I told her that I was the person who had interviewed with her a few days before. We both had a good laugh and I said, "Well, I don't mean to be pushy, but maybe this is fate!" She laughed as well, and we both thought it was quite bizarre.

I'm glad life still throws me the chuckles sometimes.

Shining Son
oversexed young adult

So it seems from the Chicago meetup thread that you got the Marriott job? Or at least *a* Marriott job.
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.