Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » 2008: the ultimate MEET-UP at San Diego: wrap-up, pics and sharing experiences (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 66 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  64  65  66   
Author Topic: 2008: the ultimate MEET-UP at San Diego: wrap-up, pics and sharing experiences
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I've been for Chicago all along, but Kippers bullet-point reasoning *is* pretty convincing. San Diego might be the best way to make it work.

I'm all for this--and I will do my best to make it to this, since it really will be the be-all/end-all meet-up! 2 years to get my expenses in order… [Big Grin]

If there is one con we all must be at, this is it!

PS – Kent’s idea seems cool, but it wouldn’t have everyone in one place, which is what I’d really hope for.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
SDCC would be great. I wish we could get some kind of offical plans from TPTB. Maybe we need to start sending Levitz some snail mail, reminding him that the Legion turns 50 in less than two years and DC better get on the ball to plan something or we'll have an uprising.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Director Lad
aka Sudro Brown II

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Director Lad   Email Director Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm still not sold on SDCC. I worry that we'll get lost in the swirl of the con. Plus, the logistical challenges of housing and parking are pretty daunting. Also, while the various creators will likely be there, SDCC is when major company announcements happen, so company talent is likely to be tied up in other activities.
I'd still rather choose a smaller show and get the word out that there'll be a big Legion presence and get some past and current creators interested in coming. Wondercon, in San Francisco, has a reputation for being a good show without the major crush of crowds that SDCC gets.

Mostly I'm just saying let's look at all the available options.

From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Absolutely. I think we need to pick a site and time soon, though.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
But we need to be mindful of any scheduled/planned official festivities. I know there is no way I can go to more than one Con a year and if, in 2008, they have the official Legion 50th Anniversary gathering at one particular Con, that would most likely be the one I'd go to, are plans here not withstanding.

While I'd love for nothing more than for us to have a big gathering, the largest ever, how many Legion anniversaries will TPTB actaully acknowledge? Maybe the 75th assuming comics are still around in 25 years. I'm just not sure I'll be around then.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saturn Girl
Always Leave Them Spellbound

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saturn Girl           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, one thing I know for sure is I will NOT have to have a hysterectomy that will wreck 2008!!! LOL.....
From: Utah (non-Mormon!!!) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Kippers makes some good points. My fear of SD overwhelming us is greater, having just attended, but...

"1. How many people can afford to make it to multiple cons during the summer?"

no, probably not. my idea was based upon enough regional resisters not willing to go more than 1K miles (if that).

"2. You're going to have a few people doing a whole lot of work. The 80/20 rule is going to apply here."

true. this occured to me after the post.

"3. Splitting the efforts up into multiple cons is going to fracture things. People won't feel the need to go to more than one or two. "

I agree. that's why I was hesitant to suggest it; but I thought it should be discussed sooner rather than later.

"However, the concept of having a Legion World booth at a con is great. I like this idea. It would totally give us a place to hang and to gather together, as well as draw newcomers in and possibly have a creator or two do some talking and/or signing."

I agree. organizationally, this would be the easiest - a sinlge booth, a single con

"I think it would be a good idea for those more in the know than I to recap the negatives of doing this at San Diego in 2008, please, because it seems to me like there are huge positives there:

1. It solves the mobility problem for our lonstanding west coasters who can't get east."

but not our longstanding easterners who won't/can't go west. Unless.... road trip, anyone?

"2. It's the largest con, and everything we could ever want to do, both as a group and separately, will be there."

very true. plenty of family activities in the area, too - the zoo, sea world, historic sites, beaches, etc.

"3. Those of us who want to hang out before / after the con could do so by having a meet-up in Vegas or LA (as was talked about this year.)"

this makes sense - it gives us time together before/after the craziness of the con itself.

"4. If one considers our Aussies and Europeans into the mix, it's about as centrally-located as were going to get."

maybe not for our Euros, but if it's to be anywhere west, SD or LV work as well or better than any.

"5. From what I've been hearing, airfare into Vegas is really about as cheap as you can get. We could all fly into Vegas, rent some cars, and drive to SD."

It works. rooms in LV are also a LOT cheaper.

"6. I'm hearing that there are some serious hotel issues in SD during the con, but surely there's a way we can get around that. Heck, we have two years to get around that. Could we rent a few beach condos or something? Keep in mind we have 2 YEARS. If the hotel issue is the main deterrent from doing this in San Diego in 2008, we ought to be able to get around that."

I've looked into condos; there are some deals. but mostly away from downtown, near the beaches. I didn't mind being on Coronado - we were closer to the Con than many in Old Town or Hotel Circle, but I think some of the others were less satisfied.

"7. Nightcrawler lives there, and if any LWer deserves to have this get-together in his hometown, it's him."

I won't try to answer for him.

"I don't know, after hearing the ecstatic reports from SD this year and last year from all of us who were able to make it, it seems to me like it's the very best possibility."

SD makes a lot of sense.

The negatives:

1. Size. we're going to be a small fish in a biiiig pond. We can overcome part of this by agreeing and booking lodgings well in advance, so we're not spread all over town. While those of us in SD did manage to meet up several times, we didn't hang out as much as Boston or Dallas, as we lacked convenient/central gathering points.

2. lodging expense. SD, at least at con season, is not as cheap as other locales. In this sense, a pre-SD Vegas meet-up would be more budget-friendly, although it potentially divides us into multi-events. other options for the budget traveller: youth hostels, RVs, camping or sharing floorspace. A big enough condo rental could help, too.

3. Chicago. I still present this as a viable alternative; the con is practically walking diatance from the airport (O'Hare), and Chicago has plenty of flight options from all over. Most pro-SD reasons can also apply to Chicago, even if it isn't as big a con, it's still a heavy, as I understand it. Miner would be the best able to compare, tho.

But let's decide soon.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
PS I did briefly talk to Paul Levitz about it. he suggested who to talk to. Unless anyone objects, I'll be Liaison Lad with DC.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I went to Chicago Con just befoew Wizard bought it, so take it for what it's worth...

Chicago seems more of a comic convention, where SD is for all kinds of pop culture. Chicago seems more likely to have a comic book related event. IT's located on the edge of the city and is more accessible. No to mention more afforadble.

Just curious- has anyone set up a pre-lim poll? It doesn't have to mean anything but gauge an intial consensus?

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm equally excited about both Chicago and San Diego. They both have plenty of rollercoasters in the area for me to enjoy. [Smile] Whee!!!

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'll go for either. I would perfer San Diego just becasue I owuld like to attend comic-con. But Chicago is a great town too.
From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm planning to go to SDCC in '08 'cause I'll be 21 (finally), and I won't be able to go in '07. I could probably get out to Chicago, too, since I'll have graduated by then; however, I don't know what my job situation will be and those sorts of things so... yeah. I can't really commit to more than SDCC.

Personally, I didn't feel overwhelmed by SDCC. Maybe it's because I haven't had a lot of experience with cons of any size, but... I mean, I got to talk to Steve Wacker for at least half an hour, Mike Carlin for longer, pictures with all the 52 guys...

[shrug] It's just something to think about. It's big and they're busy but there was nothing I wanted to do that I didn't get to and everything I wanted to get, I got. There were a lot of people, yes, and it was tiring but... I really, really enjoyed myself. Personally, I can't wait to go back again.

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
The SDCC sounds the best for me, esp if some of us do a "pre-meet-up meet-up" in Vegas (Vegas is still my cheapest flight destination).
From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey Eater Lad
Gorilla Griller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey Eater Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hawaii! Well okay so that might be a bit far, but hopefully I'll be done with school and flexible then. Here's something to keep in mind: the folks who put on San Diego Comic-Con always celebrate milestones for comic properties with programming and stuff in their program books (like this year was the Flash, Star Trek, Gumbi, Universal monsters, Dick Tracy, Archie, Captain America, and Space Ghost. I think that more than likely, and especially if we remind them, the Comic-Con folks (as well as DC) would likely celebrate the Legion's 50th birthday.
From: Alameda, CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Well from this faraway viewpoint all I will say is that come hell, highwater or a heart attack I am going to be there. (where ever there is [Smile] )

Flying into the east coast or even Chicago is pretty easy from the UK. the west coast is a heck of a long trip so I might be looking to meet up with some of the east coasters and rest for a couple of days before heading on out.

I'm starting to save now.

[Bouncing Boy]

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 66 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  64  65  66   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.