Legion World
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Kill-this-Thread III:The Thread That Would Not Die (Page 68)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 134 pages: 1  2  3  ...  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  ...  132  133  134   
Author Topic: Kill-this-Thread III:The Thread That Would Not Die
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
Cacklin' Rosie: she was indeed a stubborn woman.

Wasn't she a "store-bought woman"?

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm.. A catchy tune can make white slavery seem OK. It's like the Police song "Every Breath You Take". That's about a stalker.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
Cacklin' Rosie: she was indeed a stubborn woman.

Wasn't she a "store-bought woman"?
That was "Cracklin' Rosie." [Smile]

As to what "store-bought" means, I've always interpreted it to mean that she's an off-the-rack, unrefined, average kind of woman. This would tie in with the line, "You and me, we'll go in style"--which suggests (to me) that she doesn't often go "in style" and that the singer is trying to win her over by promising that things will be better.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Y'know, when you understand one of the definitions for "Cracklings," it only adds to the confusion.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I know that "store-bought" isn't meant to be white slavery. Just funnin'.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I know, Quis. I just like to overanalyze things. [Big Grin]

Of course, the Rolling Stones' "Brown Sugar," released roughly at the same time, did seem to glorify slavery.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Speaking of the real meanings of songs: I once read someone's post about how Ricky Martin's "Livin' La Vida Loca" is about heroin addiction. I've read the same theory about The La's "There She Goes" (covered by squeaky-clean Sixpence None the Richer, yet!)

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arm Fall Off Boy
Now starring in his own DC Comic, September 2011!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arm Fall Off Boy   Email Arm Fall Off Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
One song I don't think anyone's ever figured out-"I Started a Joke" by the BeeGees:

I started a joke, which started the whole world crying,
but I didn't see that the joke was on me, oh no.

I started to cry, which started the whole world laughing,
oh, if I'd only seen that the joke was on me.

I looked at the skies, running my hands over my eyes,
and I fell out of bed, hurting my head from things that I'd said.

Til I finally died, which started the whole world living,

I looked at the skies, running my hands over my eyes,
and I fell out of bed, hurting my head from things that I'd said.

'Til I finally died, which started the whole world living,

--------------------
Long Live all them Legions!

From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
My interpretation of "I Started a Joke" is that it's about a guy who always used humor as a defense mechanism, only to realize in his dying days that it had prevented him from forming strong relationships.

<-------- Armchair Psychotherapist

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

The first few lines remind me of the episode of the Mary Tyler Moore show where Chuckles the clown died. Everyone in the newsroom were cracking jokes and Mary was appalled. Then at the funeral, the minister starts naming all of Chuckles' characters and Mary starts laughing. Th minister then says "Yes, laugh young lady! Chuckles lived for laughter. Tears were an insult to Chuckles. So laugh, laugh, laugh!" At which point Mary starts bawling her eyes out.

--------------------

Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Fall Off Boy:
I fell out of bed, hurting my head from things that I'd said.

I always thought it was "I fell out of bed, hurting my head. Wish I was dead." I suppose the next line should have tipped me off.

Robin Gibb, you sang the lead on that song, is a perfect example of someone who is far more attractive in late middle age than when he was young.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
I remember an interpretation of this song that said the narrator was Jesus Christ.

Which still leaves some latitude regarding the actual "joke," doesn't it?

[Hmmm?]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

There were two guys drinking at the bar in a restaurant on the top floor of a skyscrapoer. The first guy says "you know with the buildings so tall and close together, it creates an updraft so if you fall out, it pulls you right back up." The second guy says "You're drunk. That can't happen." The first guy says "I'll prove it." He goes to a window and opens it up, sits on the sill, and then falls out. Down, down, down he plummeted. But just before he hit bottom Whoosh! He gets pulled back to the window. "There, see?"

The second guy says "I've got to try this." He gets on the window and falls off. Down, down, down he plummeted and he is just about to hit the bottom SPLAT!

The bartender looks at the first guy and says "You are one mean drunk Superman!"

--------------------

cleome46

See, now if Johns/Perez had more scenes like that, I'd totally plunk down twenty bucks an issue or whatever the hell DC charges for these multi-verse jamborees nowadays.

--------------------

Arm Fall Off Boy
Now starring in his own DC Comic, September 2011!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arm Fall Off Boy   Email Arm Fall Off Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Sounds like a Fred Hembeck cartoon.

--------------------
Long Live all them Legions!

From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 134 pages: 1  2  3  ...  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  ...  132  133  134   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.