Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Fare thee well... (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Fare thee well...
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Now I want nachos.
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
*Sends lance some nachos with homemade taco beef, pickle relish, homemade salsa, molten mozzarella, and yogurt (healthy sub for sour cream*

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Thank you! Wait...no olives? I don't like you anymore...
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Drat! Almost had it perfect [Frown]

--------------------

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Ha! Ok, I forgive you. Well, maybe. I do love olives...
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

If I pop over with a box of olives, will you buy me a beer?

--------------------

lancesrealm
amiable

One beer? If you pop over from the Philippines, I think I'll spot you at least a case.
lancesrealm
amiable

Wait a minute - a box of olives? Olives come in a box? I don't think I have ever seen that. I thought they just grew 'em in the jars. IB, this got me wondering about how the pimentos get in the olives, and I learned a lot about olives here:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/46892.html

Maybe I need to start a new thread - All About Olives? Nah, wouldn't want Legion World to crash because of all the posts that would get...

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by lancesrealm:

Quis, I was a stay-at-home dad for seven years. My wife makes about $80,000 a year. If I make $25,000 this year I will be lucky. I doubt if I would (or could) pay much child support. I just want my life back. By the way, Quis, since I am not living at the house (which is in both our names) is there any kind of time limit where the house would just revert to her since I am not in residence? Thanks!

Regarding the child support, based on what I read in the statute, it is not a matter of who makes more, you are both responsible for child support, but in proportion to what you make. There is also a part about if you quit your job to try to get out of paying child support. Basically, you can't. But I don't think that would be something you would do. And child support won't be enforced unless either you or your wife go to court for either child custody or child support.

Regarding the house, Your name stays on the deed until you either sell your share or die (or the bank forecloses or the city takes your house because you didn't pay your property taxes). You living there or not living there has no bearing on the matter. Just think about all those property owners who don't live in the house they own, but rent it out. Their names don't get taken off the deed. However, with your name on the deed, it means that you are responsible along with your wife for paying the property tax. If the house is mortgaged and both your names are on the mortgage, you are still responsible for that too along with your wife.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Thank you Quislet!
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Lance,

I know that even though you are getting on with your life, you aren't looking to divorce or haggle over child custody/support right now. But if your wife does initiate any legal proceedings, it may be possible for you to get pro bono legal service. Pro bono can either be free or a reduced rate. Here is a link to contact info for groups in Kentucky who do pro bono work http://kyjustice.org/probono

You may also want to check (if you need to) with any law schools in the area to see if they have any programs to have a supervised law school student assist you.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Decisions, decisions...

I might have a decision to make. I had a job interview last week, and it went really well. The only sticking point was the salary, and I am supposed to hear back to find out if they have sweetened the pot any. Here is my problem, and I really would appreciate any advice you could give.

Currently, I work at a company called Convergys. Convergys has a contract with ATT, and I do ATT tech support. So, what I do is answer phones all night and troubleshoot peoples' problems with their phones, internet, and cable. The job only pays 10 bucks an hour, though, but Convergys is a huge company with hundreds of offices around the world, so opportunities for advancement within the company are not that tough to come by. At least, so they tell me. The problem is, I hate the job. I hate it. Every day before work my stomach ties itself in knots and I feel overwhelmed with anxiety. What do I do? I pack up my lunch and go to work. I still have perfect attendance so far.

Lat week I had an interview for a job at one of the local Marriot hotels. It would involve working at the desk and doing some night auditing. I have done this work before, and I liked it just fine.

So, the question is, if Marriot offers me a job with a comperable salary, what do I do? I have tried to list the pros and cons of each job.

Let's start with the pros:

Convergys:

1) Likely opportunities for long-term advancement

Marriot:

1) Marriot is also a big company, so advancement certainly isn't out of the question.
2) I would like the job a lot better, I think.
3) While working as night auditor, I would be the manager on duty. Having "manager" on one's resume seems like it would be a plus. It can't be a bad thing.

cons:

Convergys:

1) I hate it. I really do. I have to put up with so many annoyed and occasionally abusive people that I hate going to work every day. (Poeple calling for tech support are already frustrated and sometimes quite angry.)

Marriot:

2) The advancement opportunities are likely going to be slimmer.

The thing is, I have a degree in computer science which I have never actually used. I know Convergys hires programmers for some of the work they do. If I stay there long enough, my financial future would likely be brighter than if I leave. At least, I think so.

So, I am torn. Do I stay with a job I hate that I think will have better opportunities if I stick it out for awhile? Or do I go to a job that I would like better, but might not have quite the opportunities? Anyone here know the hotel business? Anyone have any advice or insight?

Anyone?

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

That's a toughie. I am not going to say "do this", because it is your decision to make. And generally when people ask for advice, they have made a decision and just want some validation.

One thing I will ask. What do you think are the actual chances of advancing at Convergy? You might want to ask some of your co-workers whether there is any actual advancement rather than just the prospect of advancement.

Then it sounds like you have to weigh the prospect of advancement with the stress and anxiety.

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Yes, that is a toughie.

As Quis said, you've probably already made up your mind or at least are strongly leaning toward one or the other. That said, here are a few scattered thoughts and questions:

Do you really want to advance in a company if you hate the work? By advancing, would you be doing the same thing or similar things? Would you still be dealing with grumpy customers?

And would you be happy doing night auditing for awhile even if you don't advance so rapidly in that company?

Of course, the prospect of advancement and advancement are two different things. The latter may depend on any number of unforeseeable variables, such as getting along with your supervisor, an economic upturn or downturn, potential rivals for advancement, and your satisfaction with the job and/or company. How would you feel about looking for a new job if either opportunity does not pan out? If you were "stuck" in one position or the other, which would you prefer?

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
At this point in your life, I think you need something to make you happy. You have been stuck in a misery loop, even if you didn't know it. So the choice is the immediate gratification of the hotel, or the possibility of future happiness with the other.

tough choice.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.