Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Fanfic Lass' Fantabulous Land of Eighties Enchantment (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  17  18  19   
Author Topic: Fanfic Lass' Fantabulous Land of Eighties Enchantment
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Ahhh...home, sweet home.

Abin, I wasn't sure if you meant Libby or Jessie, so I said Hi to both of them. [Wink]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[waves to Stealth]

Turns out I didn't make it to PA, but mr_cleome's there right now. Probably trying to consume his own weight in Iron City beer, or something. :/

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Welcome back. [Smile]

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thank you, ladies.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Even though Julian Cope achieved his greatest fame in the 90s, it's his 1983 solo debut, "World Shut Your Mouth" that I spin most often. It was recorded during a particularly bittersweet time in his life -- debt-ridden, isolated, and stoned full-time, yet also revelling in his freedom from the prison the The Teardrop Explodes had turned into and in his new relationship with future second wife Dorian Beslity (they're still together today).

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Even though I generally defend the 80s, I'm not blind that there were terrible things about the 80s, and they're often the ones that most stubbornly refuse to go away.

Case in point: Bon Jovi has their latest single and music video in rotation right now.

Nineties apologists will probably cringe at what I'm about to say, but I'll say it anyway: Jon Bon Jovi was to hair metal what Kurt Cobain was to alternative rock. They were both greedy, cold-blooded bastards who piggybacked onto a music scene that was vital and thriving just outside the mainstream, and ruined it with their bland, safe-as-milk, toothless music and whiny voices. Sure, it sold like hotcakes, but the effect on the scene and on music in general was catastrophic.

--------------------

Zardi, the Eternal Man
All Powerful Lord of Castle Zardi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zardi, the Eternal Man   Email Zardi, the Eternal Man         Edit/Delete Post     
This song is one of many reasons why the music of the eighties can never hope to be favorably compared to the music of the sixties...

Get your motor runnin'
Head out on the highway
Lookin' for adventure
And whatever comes our way
Yeah Darlin' go make it happen
Take the world in a love embrace
Fire all of your guns at once
And explode into space

I like smoke and lightning
Heavy metal thunder
Racin' with the wind
And the feelin' that I'm under
Yeah Darlin' go make it happen
Take the world in a love embrace
Fire all of your guns at once
And explode into space

Like a true nature's child
We were born, born to be wild
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Born to be wild
Born to be wild

--------------------
Soon, Legion World, Soon your time will end.

From: The far side of forever | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Yes, you have a point, because, as it happens, the Cult did a horrendous cover of that song...in the eighties.

--------------------

Zardi, the Eternal Man

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zardi, the Eternal Man   Email Zardi, the Eternal Man         Edit/Delete Post     
The original Steppenwolf version from the Sixties remains an all time classic.

--------------------

From: The far side of forever | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Yeah. Of course, for down-and-dirty biker rock, nothing beats Motorhead.

--------------------

Zardi, the Eternal Man

Bah!

This is what Steppenwolf would say to Motorhead;

You, comin' here
Tellin' me how proud you are
Some clown just handed you
A shiny little silver star
You say, over there, the men are brave
While the chickens stay away
'Cause they're all too much afraid
To fight for somthin' they should believe in
I'm sorry friend, you've got it backwards

They won't follow when your whistle blows
Won't come runnin' when your rooster crows
Don't eat the same old corn until their minds have gone
They don't fear the squawk of the little silly chicken hawk
Uh, uh huh, help us clean our own backyard
Before you go to preach abroad
Believe me, it won't be easy

As you well know, not ever bird can roam the sky
I see your wings, man, but can you fly?
All I see when I look down, something jumpin' on the ground, scratchin'
dirt
Cluckin' in the barnyard, tell me, could that be you?
In that case, lay another egg
Try to save yourself from the barbecue

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

That song is for the birds. [LOL]

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

In the Forgotten Ear Candy Gems of the 80s category is Karla Bonoff's "Somebody's Eyes", from the "Footloose" soundtrack album. As re-inventions for singer/songwriters of the 70s go, this synth-pop bauble is hard to beat. IMO it should have been a much bigger hit, but then, if it had been, a lot of people would have gotten sick of it years ago.

--------------------

cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
(snip)
quote:
Originally posted by Stealth:

Nineties apologists will probably cringe at what I'm about to say, but I'll say it anyway: Jon Bon Jovi was to hair metal what Kurt Cobain was to alternative rock. They were both greedy, cold-blooded bastards who piggybacked onto a music scene that was vital and thriving just outside the mainstream, and ruined it with their bland, safe-as-milk, toothless music and whiny voices. Sure, it sold like hotcakes, but the effect on the scene and on music in general was catastrophic.

I'm reminded of the old Terry Laban comic where the artist meets with a board of directors at an entertainment conglom. (Fictional, of course.) He's trying to pitch his work as being something special and new. One exec bursts out, "Is it Grunge?! If it's grunge, you're hired!" Another exec explains, "Well, we don't really like to create anything special and new. We let others do that. Then we buy them."

So, regardless of what Cobain's/Bon Jovi's characters might be on a personal level, blaming either of them for ruining a certain "school" of music is like blaming a worker in a factory where they make those Wolfgang Puck frozen pizzas for ruining gourmet food.

[ November 05, 2009, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: cleome ]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Point taken. I just enjoy any excuse to badmouth Cobain. "Punk rock martyr" -- HA! That's a laugh! [Roll Eyes]

Plus, his suicide left his daughter fatherless, and that's unforgivable. I haven't forgiven Michael Hutchence, either, and him I did like when he was alive.

--------------------

This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.