Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Quislet's Super Law Firm...of Space! (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 39 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  37  38  39   
Author Topic: Quislet's Super Law Firm...of Space!
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Actually the pop-ups wouldn't have made money for the site 'owner' which was technically Michael and why he got pegged. They were making money for the owner of the server. But that's splitting hairs and since Michael was responsible for the site he was the one they went after.

He actually shared the letter with everyone at one time on one of the Legion Yahoo groups but I don't recall which. Maybe I'll look around later when I have time and see if I can dig it up.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
But the actual concern for DC was that someone other than DC was making money off of their copyrighted characters.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq:
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Quis, since on my homeworld Grrggr, the legal age of being an adult is 16, does that mean that I don't have to pay child support for my daughter Umber, who is 17? Does the fact that she doesn't know that she's my daughter yet affect this? Thanks!

Cobalt,

Well if you have become a resident of Legion World, you become subject to our laws, including the age of majority. (this is based on the idea that if you avail yourself to the benefits and protections of a state, then you are subject to its law. And by Living and working in a state, you do "Avail yourself" of its protections and benefits without any conscious actions on your part. see American Shoe) Assuming that Legion world operates on the basic laws of the US (Very Ameri-centric of me, I know) then you are responsible for child support until Umbra is 18 (the age of majority in the US)

The fact that Umbra does not know you are her father does not affect your obligation and someone else could bring action against you on Umbra's behalf.

Whew! Just checked the laws of Legion World and the legal age of being an adult is 17! I'm in the clear! Altough I'll never be able to recover from the fact that I missed her childhood, as I did my son Numf-El and my four evil sons that I was forced to destroy...

But that's not a legal question! Here's this one: if my interns at the security office sign a contract that acknowledges the fact that I will consistently hit on them throughout their employment, and then I accidently fail to hit on them one day, can I be brought up on charges for not giving them the proper amount of harrasment that the security office has promised it's employees?

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Whew! Just checked the laws of Legion World and the legal age of being an adult is 17! I'm in the clear! Altough I'll never be able to recover from the fact that I missed her childhood, as I did my son Numf-El and my four evil sons that I was forced to destroy...

But that's not a legal question! Here's this one: if my interns at the security office sign a contract that acknowledges the fact that I will consistently hit on them throughout their employment, and then I accidently fail to hit on them one day, can I be brought up on charges for not giving them the proper amount of harrasment that the security office has promised it's employees?

well, you might still owe for pass due child support payments for when Umbra and the others were under the age of majority. It depends on the statute of limitations how long a person can file a claim against you.

Regarding your other question:

See my post on Void Contracts. As harassment is an illegal act, that part of the contract would be considered void, and so you can not be held liable for that part of the contract. I would watch out about actually harassing your employees as you may find yourself subject to a lawsuit for harrassing them .

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Thanks Quis [Wink] ! It's never really harrasment, just steamy love affairs in the Security Office!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

quote:
Thanks Quis [Wink] ! It's never really harrasment, just steamy love affairs in the Security Office!

Sure, it is all in good fun ... until someone's eye gets poked out!!!!!!!! [Wink]

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Hey Quis, have you ever heard of the band Me First and the Gimme Gimmes? This was just recomended to me, and knowing that you have good taste in music (i.e. They Might Be Giants [Wink] ), I was curious! Um, I'm out of legal questions for the moment [Smile]
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

quote:
Hey Quis, have you ever heard of the band Me First and the Gimme Gimmes? This was just recomended to me, and knowing that you have good taste in music (i.e. They Might Be Giants [Wink] ), I was curious! Um, I'm out of legal questions for the moment [Smile]

You really should not be using up the Legion World retainer with these no legal questions. I hear Stu is very dollar conscious. [Wink]

No, I haven't heard of them. Let me know what you think of them.

[ December 15, 2003, 07:11 AM: Message edited by: Quislet, Esq ]

--------------------

Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

In a Criminal Trial, if you are believed, then you would get off.

Okay that's new. I could try it.

Now would they be able to get me for public exposure or would that be like double jeapardy or seeds of the spoiled fruit or ipso facto or some such seeings how I prevailed in the criminal trial?

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
quote:

In a Criminal Trial, if you are believed, then you would get off.

Okay that's new. I could try it.

Now would they be able to get me for public exposure or would that be like double jeapardy or seeds of the spoiled fruit or ipso facto or some such seeings how I prevailed in the criminal trial?

The same set of facts can result in different crimes. Generally, all lesser included offense must be tried with the main offense. for example if you come running at me with the Persuader's Atomic Axe, swing, and lop off my right arm, you could be tried for Battery (The intended harmful or offensive touching) and Assault (Causing apprehention of an immediate harmful or offensive touching). Now if you are charged with just Battery, you could not be later charged with Assault.

However, say you grab me and throw me into a Legion Cruiser and fly me from Massachusetts to New York. Massachusetts can charge you under their kidnapping statute. After the trial in which you are acquitted, you loudly proclaim "HA HA HA I Did it!" Then the Federal government can charge you under the federal kidnapping statute, but Massachusetts can't re-try you. This is not double jeopardy, because Massachusetts and the US government are too separate sovereigns.

--------------------

Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

Massachusetts can charge you under their kidnapping statute. After the trial in which you are acquitted, you loudly proclaim "HA HA HA I Did it!" Then the Federal government can charge you under the federal kidnapping statute, but Massachusetts can't re-try you.

Ooh, no fair. BUT! If I do not take someone over a state line, THEN I can proclaim "I did it" and not be retried?

Wow, is RJ Brande in trouble. He could be held responsible for taking Shikari across dimensional, universal,galactical, solar systemal, planetary, AND state lines. Plus she's probably a minor.

That old fart, I knew he was a perv.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
quote:

Massachusetts can charge you under their kidnapping statute. After the trial in which you are acquitted, you loudly proclaim "HA HA HA I Did it!" Then the Federal government can charge you under the federal kidnapping statute, but Massachusetts can't re-try you.

Ooh, no fair. BUT! If I do not take someone over a state line, THEN I can proclaim "I did it" and not be retried?

Wow, is RJ Brande in trouble. He could be held responsible for taking Shikari across dimensional, universal,galactical, solar systemal, planetary, AND state lines. Plus she's probably a minor.

That old fart, I knew he was a perv.

You still might not want to go all supervillian and yell out in Court after you have been acquitted "BWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!! I did it, you fools!"

There might be some sort of statute (Like the federal car jacking statute that doesn't need you to cross state lines) to get you on. (and even if there isn't they would then go over you with a fine tooth comb to get you on something]

As for RJ Brande and Shikari, when did RJ use force or intimidation to move Shikari against her will?

[ December 15, 2003, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: Quislet, Esq ]

--------------------

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
1.) If Legion World (the comic book one) is in Earth's orbit, do they come under Earth law?

The U.P. seems to be like a United Nations (or perhaps the European Union?) i.e. an association of planets each with their own laws but maybe some common declarations or constitution. Whose laws apply on the grounds of the U.N. - American law in NYC, Swiss law in Geneva?

2.) Ra's al Ghul did a bit of damage when he escaped on Legion World, maybe killed some Sci Cops. Could he be sued by a family member of someone he killed? Or sued for property damage? Or would the Legion be responsible since it was their turf and their (M'onel's) decision to bring him there? Or would the Sci Cops be responsible for not guarding him properly?

3.) If Garth and Jan were considered dead, and their estates distributed to heirs, will the heirs have to give it back now? Or is Jan dead but Garth isn't, or vice-versa, or could Garth claim Jan's estate, or vice-versa?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
1.) If Legion World (the comic book one) is in Earth's orbit, do they come under Earth law?

The U.P. seems to be like a United Nations (or perhaps the European Union?) i.e. an association of planets each with their own laws but maybe some common declarations or constitution. Whose laws apply on the grounds of the U.N. - American law in NYC, Swiss law in Geneva?

2.) Ra's al Ghul did a bit of damage when he escaped on Legion World, maybe killed some Sci Cops. Could he be sued by a family member of someone he killed? Or sued for property damage? Or would the Legion be responsible since it was their turf and their (M'onel's) decision to bring him there? Or would the Sci Cops be responsible for not guarding him properly?

3.) If Garth and Jan were considered dead, and their estates distributed to heirs, will the heirs have to give it back now? Or is Jan dead but Garth isn't, or vice-versa, or could Garth claim Jan's estate, or vice-versa?

1) Kramer, I assume like you do, that Legion World acts as the UN does in our time. I don't know what laws are applied in the case of a crime or tort being committed on UN Grounds.

2)Certainly the family of any guards killed could sue for wrongful death. The question becomes one of jurisdiction.

Let's assume that Legion World is considered sovereign with their own laws and that the families of the killed guards live in Metropolis. The families could sue in the Courts on Legion World. As Legion World has custody of Ra's, there is no problem with juridiction. But if the Families try to sue in Metropolis, the courts there would have to get jurisdiction from Legion World (through extradition).

Now considering that any assets Ra's has, has been seized or frozen by the UP, mostlikely, Ra's is not a good defendant to sue (i.e. no money to pay the judgement)

As for property damage, it seems that all the property Ra's destroyed was UP/Legion World property, so they would be the plaintiffs. Again seeing as Ra's assets are frozen/seized, it would be pointless to sue him.

As for the families suing Legion World and-or the Legion directly, they would have to show negligence on the part of Legion World.

3) At first I was going to say that this situation of returning from the dead is something that would only occur in comics. But then I thought of a situation where a person has gone missing and the next-of kin have him/her declared dead. (I believe a person has to be missing for at least 10 years to be declared dead) and what happens if they return after being declared dead and their assets distributed. I do not know the answer for this. There seems to be two outcomes: a) the court says "tough luck, mr. dead guy, you shouldn't have been gone so long" or b) the court says "OK Heirs, give back the stuff (or the monetary equivalent)"

As for the unique situtaion of Garth in Jan's body, I would assume that unless Jan put Garth in his will, Garth could not claim Jan's estate. And the determining factor for who gets what would be identity, who is this person. If it is Garth, then he gets Garth's stuff and that's it. If he's Jan, he gets Jan's stuff and thats it.

--------------------

Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Now, I caught the end of the Jim Carrey film "Liar Liar" and there they got the rule of law about voiding contracts (in this case a pre-nuptial) wrong. (Just one more reason for me not to like Jim Carrey.)

And here I always thought it was a mess because if the pre-nuptual agreement was voided because of her age, the marriage would have been too? Plus any problems caused by altering her documents in the first place.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 39 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  37  38  39   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.