Legion World
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Kill this Thread V: the 24 hour version! (Page 36)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 70 pages: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  ...  68  69  70   
Author Topic: Kill this Thread V: the 24 hour version!
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I really like "O Canada". It's much easier to sing than the "Star-Spangled Banner", which, of course, is sung to the tune of a German drinking song.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Every fourth of July, I like to open the windows at my place and crank Jimi Hendrix's version of the "Star Spangled Banner".

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann Hebistand
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann Hebistand           Edit/Delete Post     
The first video shown on VH1 was Marvin Gaye -- with whom I share a birthday -- performing the "Star-Spangled Banner."
Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Garrison Keillor always makes a big deal about singing the "Star-Spangled Banner" in the key of G Major, which makes the high notes reachable by altos and basses. Of course, it also makes the low notes unreachable by many sopranos and tenors. You really can't win with that song.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

True enough.

I've long felt the US should just switch to Woody Guthrie's "This Land Is Your Land", a much better and easier to sing piece of music overall.

--------------------

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I've long felt we should just make the old Batman TV show theme song the new Anthem. [shrug]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Only if they include Woody's verse about "Private Property". [Razz]
From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

"This Land" would work, though when I was a kid I disliked the part about "from California to the New York Islands" because I lived in Massachusetts.

"American the Beautiful" would have been a far better choice than "The Star-Spangled Banner".

I'm also very partial to "Life Ev'ry Voice and Sing", which is referred to as the African-American National Anthem.

--------------------

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

"America the Beautiful" is a good one.

For that matter, I'm also fond of Chuck Berry's "Livin' In The USA".

--------------------

Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

There are a few others that come up.

"My Country 'Tis of Thee", of course, would be troublesome because it uses the same tune as "God Save the Queen".

"National Hymn" ("God of Our Fathers") is too overtly religious to be a song for all people, though the tune is very catchy.

"God Bless America" is, well, a little cheesy.

If I had to pick, I think I'd still go with "America the Beautiful".

--------------------

cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
My nominee remains "Proud To Be An American" by The Tubes.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
The "Stars and Stripes Forever" with "Be kind to your web-footed friends" as the lyrics - lively, with a positive message.

I could never think up a good Canadian national anthem. O Canada is a snoozer.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Of course, if we're talking national anthems, "La Marseillaise" may be my very favorite. That's a lot of fun to sing!

--------------------

Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
The part about watering our fields with the impure blood of the Germans gets you right there.
From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
We should just split the difference and sing our own national anthem in French. Not that my French is so great (I think "B+" was my peak in that regard), but think of the scandal it would cause with the punditocracy!

[Good] [Devil]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 70 pages: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  ...  68  69  70   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.