Legion World
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Kill this Thread V: the 24 hour version! (Page 35)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 70 pages: 1  2  3  ...  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  ...  68  69  70   
Author Topic: Kill this Thread V: the 24 hour version!
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I wish my library looked like the Legion Clubhouse!

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm squinting at those pics like crazy, but I'm just not seeing the rocketship.

[shrug]

Perhaps more coffee is in order?

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
You have to get two secondary buildings attached via skyways in frame. They look like booster rockets.

Resuming our tour of Canadian libraries, this is the main hall of the Toronto Reference Library. You can see the dual glass elevators in the center. At the bottom of the frame over the circulation desk you can see the piece of art Ramona Flowers ripped off its hinges to defend herself when she was attacked by Knives Chau in Scott Pilgrim v2.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by cleome:
I'm squinting at those pics like crazy, but I'm just not seeing the rocketship.

[shrug]

Perhaps more coffee is in order?

I've been there, and seen it from various angles. I, too, do not see it.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
My library, on the other hand, has a swooshy roof.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Perhaps I imagine too much from the brutalist concrete. Moving out of the city, we can continue our tour of Canadian libraries.

This one is close to my heart as it is located at my alma mater (Queen's University) at scenic Kingston Ontario. Stauffer Library was where I spent many a day looking at bonnie lassies studying sin auld lang syne.

Opened in 1994, it is a gothic-styled structure clad in limestone (as all of the Uni's recent buildings are) to match the older pre-modernist buildings on campus. The exterior resembles a castle, with the south battlement intended as a patio. The area was closed in the first month of operation when engineering students created their own circulation system for books from the battlement. Inside, the library is dominated by a grand spiral staircase which provides the atrium a view of those ascending to the quieter upper levels.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

The first library I managed was called the Ring Library and it is indeed round.

--------------------

Tamper Lad

Speaking of oddly shaped buildings. There's no building stranger than the Sharp Centre for Design at the Ontario College of Art & Design .

It's signature building is shaped like a vinyl eraser supported by twelve pencil crayons. I believe the diagonal orange support is the stairway to access the building.

[ August 25, 2010, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: Tamper Lad ]

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Where on your tour is Library of Parliament in Ottawa, Tampy? A truly beautiful bookspace.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad

I was gonna hit Ottawa next because I lived there for several years. I'll talk about the fire. But before we hit that gothic cathedral that is the Parliament of Canada we have to go to the Library I used when I was in Ottawa.
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

A former colleague of mine got a job at Ottawa Public Library. A requirement of all their public service staff is that they must be fully bilingual (English/French).

--------------------

Tamper Lad

One of the most recognizable building silhouettes in Canada is the Centre Block on Parliament Hill.

The current Centre Block is actually not the original building, That building burned to the ground in 1916. In fact the only part of the original Canadian that remains is the Library of Parliament located opposite of the Peace Tower at the back of the building directly adjacent to the Ottawa River.

This building contains the green-carpeted House of Commons and the red-carpteted Senate. Echoing the Mother Parliaments at Westminister, Parliament is opened in a ceremony whereby the Monarch, (or more commonly the Governor General acting as the Vice-Regal Representative) sitting in the Speaker's Throne in the Senate sends the Usher of the Black Rod from the Senate to the opposite end of the Building where the Usher bangs on the barred door of the House of Commons to summon the Speaker of the House and the assembled MPs to the Senate Chamber to hear the speech from the throne. This speech delivered by the Monarch or Governor-General outlines the Prime Minister's agenda for the next parliamentary session.

Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

When I lived in Michigan in the late '90s, I used to love watching this on the sign-off on the CBC station from Windsor.

--------------------

Tamper Lad

O Canada was a controversial choice for National Anthem. Many Ontarians would have preferred the Maple Leaf Forever but the lyrics of that song are not acceptable to French Canada.

If you watch old Canadian WWII newsreels they will almost always have the Maple Leaf Forever in the soundtrack as opposed to O Canada. However these days the song is pretty much only sung in this form by arch-monarchists and those who still want the Red Ensign to be be the National Flag.

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Canada should do the right thing and adopt "Free Will" by Rush as the new National Anthem.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 70 pages: 1  2  3  ...  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  ...  68  69  70   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.