Legion World
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Kill-this-Thread III:The Thread That Would Not Die (Page 33)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 134 pages: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  132  133  134   
Author Topic: Kill-this-Thread III:The Thread That Would Not Die
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Love Tim Horton's.

We have the very first on-campus Tim Horton's in the USA.

Timmy Ho has long been in Buffalo, and is now growing in other parts of NYS.

A couple years ago took over the old Bess Eaton's donut chain in SE New England, too (although it's not as good as the Canadian branch), I was surprised to see when hanging out with Abin a year and a half ago. I hear they're expanding in the Great Lakes area of the US too (along the Interstates, at least).

All Dunkin Donuts has left is its coffee - it gave up on its donuts gradually over the years, but espeically in the past decade or so when they moved to centralized production instead of store-fresh.

Not too many of the old indy donut shops seem to be around anymore, but there is one near my hometown (right across the street from DD, ironically).

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
If anyone ever wonders how Americans got so batshit insane about food and health: When I go to the Red Cross to donate, they pass out Krispy Kremes. This is after the list of pointers they give pre-donation that you should AVOID fatty foods before donating. Yeesh.

When that damn chain opened here, the news stations and papers carried on like the Messiah had finally come. I was so longing to do a fake KK website with the motto,

"Krappy Krum: Oh, Get A Goddamn Grip. It's Just A Freakin' Donut!!"

We actually have a number of pretty decent local stores and chains here. The hipsters love Voodoo Donuts best, because you can buy donuts shaped like... uh, well. See for yourself*

*Not worksafe if your boss has sharp eyes.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

KK made a big splash when it arrived in Albany sev. years ago. It was okay, but I was underwhelmed. They left, even before I migrated north. No loss.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Speaking of donuts, there's a painter who makes a living and gets written up in high-class papers for doing basically nothing but painting huge pictures of jelly donuts.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the art biz is truly like the joke about waking up one morning and finding the Castro brothers going through your 'fridge. One simply doesn't know what to say. :/

[ January 12, 2009, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: cleome ]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arm Fall Off Boy
Now starring in his own DC Comic, September 2011!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arm Fall Off Boy   Email Arm Fall Off Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Here's one for you cleome, given your job situation:

John Smith started the day early having set his

alarm clock

MADE IN JAPAN ) for 6am ..

While his coffeepot

(MADE IN CHINA )

was perking, he shaved with his electric razor

(MADE IN HONG KONG ).

He put on a dress shirt

(MADE IN SRI LANKA ),

designer jeans

(MADE IN SINGAPORE )

And tennis shoes

(MADE IN KOREA )

After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet

(MADE IN INDIA )

he sat down with his calculator

(MADE IN MEXICO )

to see how much he could spend today.

After setting his watch

(MADE IN TAIWAN )

to the radio

(MADE IN INDIA )

he got in his car

(MADE IN GERMANY )

filled it with GAS

from Saudi Arabia )

and continued his search

for a good paying AMERICAN JOB.

At the end of yet another discouraging

and fruitless day checking his computer

(Made In Malaysia ),

John decided to relax for a while.

He put on his sandals

(MADE IN BRAZIL )

poured himself a glass of wine

(MADE IN FRANCE )

and turned on his TV

(MADE IN INDONESIA ),

and then wondered why he can't find

a good paying job

in AMERICA .

--------------------
Long Live all them Legions!

From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
ANITA
Puerto Rico
My heart's devotion
Let it sink back in the ocean
Always the hurricanes blowing
Always the population growing
And the money owing
And the sunlight streaming
And the natives steaming
I like the island Manhattan
Smoke on your pipe
And put that in!

GIRLS
I like to be in America
Okay by me in America
Everything free in America

BERNARDO
For a small fee in America

ANITA
Buying on credit is so nice

BERNARDO
One look at us and they charge twice

ROSALIA
I'll have my own washing machine

INDIO
What will you have though to keep clean?

ANITA
Skyscrapers bloom in America

ROSALIA
Cadillacs zoom in America

TERESITA
Industry boom in America

BOYS
Twelve in a room in America

ANITA
Lots of new housing with more space

BERNARDO
Lots of doors slaming in our face

ANITA
I'll get a terrace apartment

BERNARDO
Better get rid of your accent

ANITA
Life can be bright in America

BOYS
If you can fight in America

GIRLS
Life is all right in America

BOYS
If you're all white in America

GIRLS
Here you are free and you have pride

BOYS
Long as you stay on your own side

GIRLS
Free to be anything you choose

BOYS
Free to wait tables and shine shoes

BERNARDO
Everywhere grime in America
Organized crime in America
Terrible time in America

ANITA
You forget I'm in America

BERNARDO
I think I'll go back to San Juan

ANITA
I know what boat you can get on

BERNARDO
Everyone there will give big cheer!

ANITA
Everyone there will have moved here

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

I'd rather talk about donuts.
cleome46

At least the donuts are all US-made. For now. :/

(AFOB, Dude, I buy all my imports the honest way-- via Goodwill !!)

--------------------

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Even the ones in foreign countries?

When I was in Poland, my relaives took me to Warsaw Old Town, which was full of chain restaurants, including a Dunkin Donuts.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Dunkin Donuts apparently lasted only briefly in Northern Ireland, and were later replaced by Tim Horton's.
cleome46

We had a Winchell's here that was supplanted by an indy donut shop almost right away. I was surprised at that;In my former property-related career, I learned that fast food chains frequently don't let leased/contracted property go to a new business, unless the succeeding tenant agrees not to let a competing business move in there for a stipulated period of time.

(Now, if amateur real estate law doesn't kill this thread, face facts:The thread is unkillable.)

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

I was surprised to learn that Jack-in-the-Box used to operate not far from where I grew up; I always associated them as a West Coast chain.

The old New Paltz JitB was a sporting goods store last I knew. It had changed enough not to be immediately evident - but once you realized, you could see some architectural elements of its original use.

There was another one with an equally non-restautant look somewhere else in the area.

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

In one of the old Kill this thread threads, posts about ERISA failed to kill they thread. And real estate law is fascinating compared to ERISA

--------------------

Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I remember that. I tried library cataloguing classification and that didn't work either.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
When I chose "Lard Lad" as my MB name, I had totally forgotten about the character from the Simpson's donut shop, who in turn was a takeoff on Shoney's Big Boy.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 134 pages: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  132  133  134   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.