Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Quislet's Super Law Firm...of Space! (Page 29)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 39 pages: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  37  38  39   
Author Topic: Quislet's Super Law Firm...of Space!
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
You could sue him for breach of the implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose.

An implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose, sometimes referred to simply as a warranty of fitness, is a warranty implied by law that if a seller knows or has reason to know of a particular purpose for which some item is being purchased by the buyer, the seller is guaranteeing that the item is fit for that particular purpose. This differs from a warranty of merchantability in two ways:

First, the warranty of fitness applies to all sellers, not just professional merchants; and
Second, the warranty of fitness requires the seller to know or have reason to know of a specific purpose to which the property sold is going to be put.

(disclaimer, the above did come from Wikipedia)

So seeing as the guy in the turban was making the claim that the flute could tame wild animals, he would not be able to then claim that he didn't know or have a reason to know that you would attempt to use the flute for that particular purpose.

It does not matter what costs the guy in the turban incurred in selling the flute to you. You have a right to recover the cost of the flute. But you willl have to give back the flute.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
But I don't want the flute back!

-- I mean... what if the seller doesn't want the flute back?

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
But I don't want the flute back!

-- I mean... what if the seller doesn't want the flute back?

The seller could then give the flute to the buyer. However, the seller still has to refund the purchase price.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
As punishment - send him to Band Camp!
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

OK, it's time to redecorate the office. Are there any budding interior decorators out there that want to showcase their talent in exchange for some virtual legal services?

The office will remain open during the redecoration, so please feel free to submit any questions.

--------------------

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Ok, so we have Lex married to wealthy and dying Gertrude. She starts to sign the will, dies mid-signature, Lex finishes it for her, and viola he inherits her fortune. Or does he?

Well yes and no.

Certainly the will is invalid. At a minimum you need at least two witnesses to the signing of a will. (some states require 3) So without those witnesses, that will is invalid. Her family cries "Hurray!" Although they do so a little too soon.

Assuming Gertrude had a previous will, that will would be rended void by her marriage to Lex (he did have on a wedding ring). A divorce also can render a will or parts of it void. So Gertrude would have died without a will or as we lawyers like to say "intestate". Now each state has different rules for dividing an estate that is intestate. Assuming that Metropolis is in New York State, their rule of intestate inheritance is as follows: If there is a spouse and children, then the spouse gets $50,000 and half of the estate and the children divide the other half. If there are no children, then the spouse does get everything.

So the question is did Gertrude have children or not? If she didn't then Lex didn't need to fiddle with a will. If she did, then Lex would have only gotten half of the estate, unless he also got rid of any children and any children they might have had and any children they might have had, etc.

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Well, based upon Lex's map, Metropolis is where NYC would be, so the manision/residence would probably have been in New Jersey.

Although to complicate matters, the villaian's white van had New South Wales license plates.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Well, I tried looking for the New Jersey Statutes and found that their statutes are not as user friendly as New York's or Massachusetts. So let's just say that Gertrude's prinicple property was on Long Island, OK?

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

nope. According to the maps shown, there is no Long Island; Metropolis is the southernmost point in New York State.

PS I was wrong about the NSW plates - they were Metropolis - at an initial quick glance LIS looked like LES, and as a plate I've never seen before, I assumed. My Bad.

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Well, even without consulting the New Jersey statutes, I can say that they probably have similar intestate distribution of estates. The main difference between New York's & Massachusetts' is that Mass give the widow $200,000 while New York on gives $50,000 (beyond half of the estate)

--------------------

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

A new avatar for post number 8000

--------------------

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
8K posts = how many billable space-hours?
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

remember... time goes by faster in space when there's no gravity.
Seth Gaterra
Last Son of Angtu

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seth Gaterra   Email Seth Gaterra         Edit/Delete Post     
Quislet... I'm tempted to give you a legal Gordian knot, from LSH canon. Should I? [Smile]
Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

quote:
Originally posted by Seth Gaterra:
Quislet... I'm tempted to give you a legal Gordian knot, from LSH canon. Should I? [Smile]

Go for it.

--------------------

This topic comprises 39 pages: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  37  38  39   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.