Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Quislet's Super Law Firm...of Space! (Page 28)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 39 pages: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...  37  38  39   
Author Topic: Quislet's Super Law Firm...of Space!
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
If somebody opposing me in a court case put a voodoo hex on me, could I claim that they're interfering with my right to a fair trial? (Hasn't happened, but I was reading that sometimes dead chickens are placed on courthouse steps to influence a trial, according to voodoo beliefs.)

You would have to show causation. i.e that the voodoo hex actually interferred with your right to a fair trial.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Voodoo helps my cases in court; I haven't gotten a speeding ticket that's stuck since 1991!

a lot of officers miss traffic court due to stomach cramps, if you get my drift.

I recommend a houngan even over an attorney.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
Voodoo helps my cases in court; I haven't gotten a speeding ticket that's stuck since 1991!

a lot of officers miss traffic court due to stomach cramps, if you get my drift.

I recommend a houngan even over an attorney.

PFFFFFTTT!!!!!! An attorney could get you money for the harassment. I mean, you must be suffering a lot of trauma from being stopped like that.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
For the victims of Kent's houngan, there is real harm i.e. stomach cramps (or worse?) - but if the court system doesn't believe in voodoo, and attributes the damage to other factors, there can't be any relief. It seems to me it's bordering on a religious belief question, but while there may be freedom of religion in the U.S., I don't know how the courts would be set up to handle something like this. They just don't deal with it? Or if you could prove that someone hired a houngan to curse you, could that person be charged with threatening or trying to harm you in general?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

FC,

You are correct in that it is a matter of whether the trier of facts (i.e. the jury and only the judge if there is no jury) believes in your version of causation. That is that the curse caused the stomach cramps. If the jury is ull of those who practice voodoo, you might have a shot.

Now you might have a better chance of proving intentional infliction of emotional distress. That is that the person knows you believe in voodoo and did this to cause you emotional pain.

--------------------

legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
Man, this is a case even Judge Judy wouldn't take on...
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I was curious and did some searches, and there are quite a few cases at the federal level involving charges of voodoo - so I guess Judge Judy would have to take it on if it came before her. I just read through a few quickly, in one a judge called it "nonsense", in another, sprinkling 'voodoo' powder in front of someone's office was considered a crime - because it was an unknown powder, in the context of post 9/11 anthrax scares - so the judge wasn't saying he believed in voodoo per se, just that the act was irresponsible and had caused harm.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Being forced to miss 'Smallville' for traffic court is also irresponsible and causes me harm. Can I sue the cops and the courts?
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
Being forced to miss 'Smallville' for traffic court is also irresponsible and causes me harm. Can I sue the cops and the courts?

You can always sue. That doesn't mean that you'll be sucessful or not subject to a frivilous lawsuit charge.

--------------------

legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd sure like to have a law passed that would prevent sporting events and TV shows from being edited for no good reason (apart from the World Trade Center bombing - now THAT was a shocker, all right...) [Frown]
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

quote:
Originally posted by legionadventureman:
I'd sure like to have a law passed that would prevent sporting events and TV shows from being edited for no good reason (apart from the World Trade Center bombing - now THAT was a shocker, all right...) [Frown]

Write your legislators then.

I am not sure how it would work in Austrailia, but any such law here in the US would be ruled unconstitional as interferring with the free speech rights of the broadcasters.

--------------------

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

NOTICE: The law offices are temporarily closed.

Feel free to leave a message. It will be answered as soon as possible. However, the definition of "as soon as possible" could mean weeks or months.

--------------------

Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leap Year Lord           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't recall authorizing a this closure, so you'd better be surprising me with a grand tour of the great thrift shops of North America or something.
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

I say we LWers consider a class-action lawsuit against the closure of this office!
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
So, this guy in a turban sold me this "magic flute" for $25 which he claimed could tame animals by playing it. As it turns out, the supposed "magic flute" was just a toy that he'd paid ten cents for at a toy store. Now, I'm not entirely sure how he made any profit off this sale, since I'm guessing the tranquilizer that he used to fake the effect of taming wild animals must have cost more than the $25 off it. Anyway, what exactly can I do about this?
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 39 pages: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...  37  38  39   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.