Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » 2008: the ultimate MEET-UP at San Diego: wrap-up, pics and sharing experiences (Page 27)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 66 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  64  65  66   
Author Topic: 2008: the ultimate MEET-UP at San Diego: wrap-up, pics and sharing experiences
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Chuck
[Bouncing Boy]

Thats great news, we can misbehave together just like in Boston. [Big Grin]

And it means we can share taxis and stuff to and from the con and its related parties if need be.

<looks over shoulder> Pssst Abin, want to work out a rota with other legion worlders to keep jen out of my hair.

OUCH, she saw that and got me.

[LOL]

And what do you mean "buying" back issues? I remember you managed to pick up some interesting free samples from the DC booth [Wink]

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by mechana:
Faraway: Old Town is a lovely neighborhood and you could easily make a day of seeing it's sites. It has lots of little touristy shops, restaurants, galleries and a museum.

And of course there is the famous zoo, Sea World, the wild animal park, Legoland, the beach. Heck, now I want to blow off the convention!

Thanks for that Rhonda, Jen is looking at maybe taking a bus trip to Baja California (sp?) to visit some of the markets and eat at once of the coastal villages, your more than welcome to come along with us if you fancy. It does seem a shame to travel all that way and hide in a convention centre dont it. [Smile]

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
Golly, Far. If Gina is at loose ends then why not get her to spend a day in Tijuana? Mexico is lots of fun and I've never known a wife that could resist shopping along the tourist strip in a border town.

I'm going to be driving out with a friend (non-LWer)and I think we'll be doing a few things besides the convention while we're there. We should see about arranging a day at the beach too. Why not?

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
News!

WE HAVE TABLE!

they have yet to assign us a specific spot, but we are DEFINITELY in!

ANYONE who has not yet bought their memberships and is in no rush to do so, PLEASE hold off!

I am going to need helpers for the unpleasant duty of skipping ahead of the main lines and getting on the floor to the table before the rif-, uh, before our fellow fans arrive.

And carting a few boxes may be necessary, too, but we can let Caroline off the hook if you two haven't bought memberships yet.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

quote:
Originally posted by Faraway Lad:
Now as Jennifer is probably going to be a bit of a comic convention widow I am on the lookout for some ideas of things she can do on her own, whilst I am locked away in the con.

Ronda has touched upon several good ideas; there is no shortage of things to do in San D.

quote:
In terms of places to eat, again some hints would be welcome.
Both your neighborhood, Old Town ,and downtown are chocked full of great restaurants. I'd be glad to show you some of my favorites.

quote:
Still thinking of going to Las Vegas before San Diego for two or three days so if anyone is still planning on doing this maybe we could meet up there as well?
I have yet to make actual travel arrangements; for all I know I'd be going by bus. In any case, I wouldn't be adverse to a night or two in Vegas.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

quote:
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
Having never done the convention thing, how does it work? Most of the panels and things are done by 5pm? Will there be a Legion World roving party? Will SD quiver at the sound of our celebration?

We can go to the con/around the con in groups, or solo, as appropriate. Generally those staying close to each other tend to travel together; those of us taking the first shift on the table will need to arrive earlier.

At panels, we try ot sit together.

I forget what time them ain floor closes, but there can still be evening programming (usually films; at the nearby hotels, I think). Many times, we will either try to gather everyone for evening socializing, depending on individual schedules.

If we are gonig to try to get everyone together for a meal, we should definitely reserve waaay in advance; I lost track but I'd guess at least 25+ of us are coming.

As massive as our group will be, the sheer enornmity of 100,000 comic fans is not likely to make San D notice us more than othwers, but I'm sure we can strike fear into the hearts of the staffs of several restaurants.

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

by the way-
nice choice of places, Darden!
it's not the closest, but all the close places are booked.

aside from taxis, you are what I would consider walking distance (actually, a comparable distance to the length of the Con center) from the trolley line, which can take you to the con.

[ February 26, 2008, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Kent Shakespeare ]

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Kent, I have both of our memberships purchased already. Sorry.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

just updated the potential attendees list. We're up to the 26-31 range, plus friends:

Me
Yellow Kid and friend
Faraway
Gigglebot
Abin
Cramer
Cobie (for the weekend)
Scott
Caroline
Gary
Dedman
CJ
Mechana
Seymour
Rockhopper
Director Lad
Caliente + friends
Monkey Eater Lad
Outdoor Miner
L.E.G.I.O.N.- John
Vee (last I knew)
Michael Grabois
Superboymddjr + friends
Blue Battler (last I knew)
Blockade Boy???
Joe Boy???
Sketch Lad???
Pov???
Rtvu2???
Walkingwithcrowds??? (said he was interested waaaay back when)
Stealth??? (said she was interested waaaay back when)

Monkey Eater Lad
Gorilla Griller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey Eater Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hells yeah! I'm working on a piece for the program, I will try to create/make some kind of giveaway, and I look into ways to decorate the booth a little. Woo hooo!
From: Alameda, CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
Stealth??? (said she was interested waaaay back when)

Unfortunately, circumstances have changed. It's prohibitively expensive for me at the moment. And even if I did have the money, I've developed a fear of travel that I didn't have at the time (is there a medical name for that?) But while I'll miss the 50th Anniversary Meet-Up, I hope to get myself together for a future meet-up sometime in the next few years.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
I can't be there, unfortunately. Have to be at the other end of the continent (Halifax) at exactly that time.

Too bad.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad

quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Kid:
Golly, Far. If Gina is at loose ends then why not get her to spend a day in Tijuana? Mexico is lots of fun and I've never known a wife that could resist shopping along the tourist strip in a border town.

I'm going to be driving out with a friend (non-LWer)and I think we'll be doing a few things besides the convention while we're there. We should see about arranging a day at the beach too. Why not?

Hey Art We had already looked at that, although Jen is a little nervous about doing stuff like that on her own without me. As for shopping, and i would sit down for this if I were you, she hates it. We were in New York and she wouldnt go into Macy's becuase it looked boring. [Smile]

I knew I loved this woman for a reason [LOL]

--------------------
Faithfull

Faraway Lad

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Faraway Lad:
Now as Jennifer is probably going to be a bit of a comic convention widow I am on the lookout for some ideas of things she can do on her own, whilst I am locked away in the con.

Ronda has touched upon several good ideas; there is no shortage of things to do in San D.

quote:
In terms of places to eat, again some hints would be welcome.
Both your neighborhood, Old Town ,and downtown are chocked full of great restaurants. I'd be glad to show you some of my favorites.

quote:
Still thinking of going to Las Vegas before San Diego for two or three days so if anyone is still planning on doing this maybe we could meet up there as well?
I have yet to make actual travel arrangements; for all I know I'd be going by bus. In any case, I wouldn't be adverse to a night or two in Vegas.

Sean I'm sure we'll be up for meals and drinks and stuff so look forward to it. Once we sort out exact details I'll post stuff here and pm you to let you know what we are doing.

--------------------
Faithfull

Faraway Lad

quote:
by the way-
nice choice of places, Darden!
it's not the closest, but all the close places are booked.

aside from taxis, you are what I would consider walking distance (actually, a comparable distance to the length of the Con center) from the trolley line, which can take you to the con.

thats what I though and one of the reasons i persuaded Jen to book there, it looks easy enough for her to get into town and the various bits and for me to get to the con. wished i could take you up on the offer of passes to help set up the table and stuff but I think that might be step to far in leaving her alone, so will have to pass.

--------------------
Faithfull

This topic comprises 66 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  64  65  66   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.