Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Quislet's Super Law Firm...of Space! (Page 27)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 39 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  37  38  39   
Author Topic: Quislet's Super Law Firm...of Space!
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Is that an admission of guilt, Red Bee?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Dear Mr. Esq.,

Someone has been poisoning the honey in my café, causing several patrons to become ill. Isn't that like restraint of trade or something? Of course, I have liability insurance, but I think I should be able to sue the culprit for damages once he's caught.

FC

What would happen in a case like this is that those patrons who ingested the poisoned honey (or their heirs if they died) would sue Cafe Cramers for either battery (an intentional harmful or offensive touching) or negligence. The heirs could also add a wrongful death suit. Cafe Cramers could then add the person responsible for the actual poisoning (if known) as a third party defendant, basically saying to the court "if we are guilty, it is really because of this person and he/she should pay.

[ May 19, 2005, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: Quislet, Esq. ]

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Bee:
Dear Mr. Esq.,

Will it be self-incriminating if I reveal that the honey in Cafe Cramer is not the only thing on Legion World to be poisioned?

<evil grin>

Regards,
The Red Bee

That would depend upon what you say exactly.

Saying "The honey is not the only think I have poisoned!" would be self-incriminating. Saying "I am aware of other things also being poisoned." would not be because you could have gained this knowledge from overhearing the actual culprit bragging about his/her villiany.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

quote:
Dear Mr. Esq.,

Someone has been poisoning the honey in my café, causing several patrons to become ill. Isn't that like restraint of trade or something? Of course, I have liability insurance, but I think I should be able to sue the culprit for damages once he's caught.

FC

Dear Ms. Cramer:

I have been giving your question further thought. If the poisoning resulted in a decrease in patrons (and the accompanying revenue) then you might have a cause of action for restraint of trade. Also if the decrease in business caused you to breach contracts with various suppliers, you would might have a cause of action for interference with contractual relations.

I hope this information has been helpful.

Sincerely yours,

Quislet, Esquire

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
quote:
Dear Mr. Esq.,

FC

What would happen in a case like this is that those patrons who ingested the poisoned honey (or their heirs if they died) would sue Cafe Cramers for either battery (an intentional harmful or offensive touching) or negligence. The heirs could also add a wrongful death suit. Cafe Cramers could then add the person responsible for the actual poisoning (if known) as a third party defendant, basically saying to the court "if we are guilty, it is really because of this person and he/she should pay.
But I don't wanna sue Cramer! I wanna sue Red Bee!

PleasePleasePlease can I, Mr. Esq.?

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
quote:
Dear Mr. Esq.,

FC

But I don't wanna sue Cramer! I wanna sue Red Bee!

PleasePleasePlease can I, Mr. Esq.?

Mr. Shakespeare,

You are not required to sue Cafe Cramers. In the normal course of things, Cafe Cramers, as a business, would be assumed to have deeper pockets that the poisoner and in a better position to actually pay such damages as medical expenses and lost wages.

You are perfectly free to sue Mr. Bee for the poisoning. However, you would be required to show by a preponderance of evidence that Mr. Bee is reponsible for the actual poisoning.

--------------------

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
Hey Quis!

What legal issues in *or* about comics capture your interest most?

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Well since law school, I am more conscious of the fact that by use of the Batsignal and even by being made an honorary member of the Gotham City Police, Batman is a de facto government agent. Therefore, any evidence that he obtains illegally (i.e. if he breaks into a place without a warrant and discovers a huge drug supply) would be thrown out of court. So the Gotham City DAs must love him.

I have liked the er.. scenarios that have been posted here for me to answer.

--------------------

Jetta
Misfit

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jetta           Edit/Delete Post     
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
From: Misfits Music | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Dear Ms. Banshee:

I have received your communique. Having reviewed it, I cannot find a legal issue with which to help you with. If you have further information, I will be glad to review it and offer my opinion.

Thank you for your patronage.

Sincerely,

Quislet, Esq.

--------------------

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
1. Do we have a noise by-law on Legion World? 7:15 a.m. is a tad early for banshee screams. Of course, that's only a personal opinion and I defer to the law.

2. If someone could argue (effectively) that a guy who dresses like a bat is insane, would any evidence he collected (legally or illegally) be thrown out of court? Like if he's nuts, maybe his evidence isn't believable or trustworthy? And if someone won this argument, would past convictions obtained with Batman's evidence be reversed?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

quote:
1. Do we have a noise by-law on Legion World? 7:15 a.m. is a tad early for banshee screams. Of course, that's only a personal opinion and I defer to the law.

I am not sure if we do have any noise ordinances here on Legion World. What with the sounds of statues being blown up on a regular basis, I don't think so. And the time element would be rather subjective as it can be many different time to various Legion Worlders.

quote:
2. If someone could argue (effectively) that a guy who dresses like a bat is insane, would any evidence he collected (legally or illegally) be thrown out of court? Like if he's nuts, maybe his evidence isn't believable or trustworthy? And if someone won this argument, would past convictions obtained with Batman's evidence be reversed?

First, any evidence obtained illegal would be inadmissible. That would mean that both Batman and Superman, being honorary members of the Gotham City & Metropolis police forces (respectively) could arguably be considered government agents and thus required to obtain warrents barring the exceptions for exigent circumstances and plain view.

As for the sanity of a person giving evidence, that would depend upon the evidence being presented. A set of accounting ledgers concerning Lex Luthor's businesses obtained and presented by Joker or by Lois Lane would still be the same evidence. The person presenting the evidence would have to account for how the evidence was obtained and the handling of the evidence prior to trial.

As far as eyewitness testimony, the credibility would be left to the trier of facts (the jury or judge). I remember a case in my Wills class in which the will was challenged because the testator (the person whose will it is) thought that people lived in his trees and hung meat on the branches. However, the judge found that the will itself dispossed of the man's property in a rational manner. So the will was valid even though the man wasn't of sound mind.

A more Constitutional challenge to Batman's eyewitness testimony would be to say that Batman needs to reveal his identity so that the accused has his/her 6th Amendment right to be able to confront the witness against him/her. Batman's identity would go to his credibility as a witness. If say Batman was a fired Lexcorp employee then the trier of fact could reasonable infer that his testimony is biased and not as credible as if Batman was just some schmuck with no relation to Luthor.

--------------------

Tempest
Enchantress

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tempest   Author's Homepage   Email Tempest         Edit/Delete Post     
Quislet, Esq.

I have recently been under the verbal harassment of Space Ranger of the Security Office, I wish to employ you in the possibility that I shall have to take this person to court.

Luna

--------------------
And to show I bear no ill will, I, too, shall bestow a gift...

From: The Mansion | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

If somebody opposing me in a court case put a voodoo hex on me, could I claim that they're interfering with my right to a fair trial? (Hasn't happened, but I was reading that sometimes dead chickens are placed on courthouse steps to influence a trial, according to voodoo beliefs.)

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

quote:
Originally posted by Luna:
Quislet, Esq.

I have recently been under the verbal harassment of Space Ranger of the Security Office, I wish to employ you in the possibility that I shall have to take this person to court.

Luna

Luna,

I apologize for such a late response, but I haven't been to the office lately.

Unfortunately, I don't take cases so much as give advise. In this matter, I would have suggested asking Space ranger to sit down and discuss the matter (I do act as mediator sometimes). However seeing as Space Ranger is no more (at least I think he is still no more) I would say that your problem is resolved.

--------------------

This topic comprises 39 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  37  38  39   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.