Legion World
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Kill this Thread V: the 24 hour version! (Page 21)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 70 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  68  69  70   
Author Topic: Kill this Thread V: the 24 hour version!
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
M*A*S*H lasted four times longer than the war it was set during, so yeah.

Most shows, if they go on a bit, eventually trip up on their histories.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, there's the longevity factor, and the fact that even early in, the writers would get confused about things like the names of off-camera spouses and such. (Mrs. Blake, for instance, started out as "Mildred" but ended up as "Lorraine," I believe.)

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Sitcoms...

When I was little, I thought that the next-to-last lyric of the Three's Company theme song was gibberish:

"Da da dodo day doo"

Then, when I grew up, I found out it actually went:

"Down at our rendezvous"

Which did nothing to convince me that I had not wasted many hours of my childhood watching that show.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Even worse than sitcom's continuity problems are those of soap operas.

Soaps have the opposite problem of comic books in that the characters usually age at a rate faster than in real life. This is known as SORAS (Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome). A character will be born. Two years later, he's in kindergarten. We see him around now and then and then he disappears for two more years and then he's about sixteen. A character will remember things that happened before he was born!

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I remember that on GH. Kids born in the late 70s vanished for a few years; by 1990ish they were in college!
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I think American soap operas would benefit from adopting the Latin soap opera format of a really long mini-series with a beginning, middle, and end.

OTOH, they tried that in American prime-time in 2006 and it was a ratings disaster.

--------------------

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

quote:
Originally posted by Kent:
I remember that on GH. Kids born in the late 70s vanished for a few years; by 1990ish they were in college!

I think this is where comics got the idea.

--------------------

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lass:
I think American soap operas would benefit from adopting the Latin soap opera format of a really long mini-series with a beginning, middle, and end.

OTOH, they tried that in American prime-time in 2006 and it was a ratings disaster.

American daytime soaps seem like an endangered breed, so who knows? it may become possible.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

quote:

I don't know if it will help soaps, but that format (common in England and Japan as well) has definitely impacted cab;e and network shows these past few years.

--------------------

Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kent:
American daytime soaps seem like an endangered breed, so who knows? it may become possible.

Which is very sad. I lost my show, Guiding Light, last year. As the World Turns ends next month. Most of the others are barely hanging on. It's a part of American pop culture that will be lost.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Rocky, I remember you said you speak a little bit of Spanish. If you become fluent, you could watch Latin soaps. They've still got quite a bit of life left in them.

--------------------

Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

quote:
Rocky, I remember you said you speak a little bit of Spanish. If you become fluent, you could watch Latin soaps. They've still got quite a bit of life left in them.

I can follow Spanish-language TV fairly well if I watch it with the captions on. I may have to try some time.

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

sounds similar to Quebecois teleromans, essentially episodic novels told over a lengthy but limited run.
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

I'm sure many nations have their own versions.

--------------------

Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

They do, but only the US had one that lasted 72 years. I still miss GL.

--------------------

This topic comprises 70 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  68  69  70   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.