Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Another Legionnaire has passed on... (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Another Legionnaire has passed on...
Glen Cadigan
Semi-Pro

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glen Cadigan   Email Glen Cadigan         Edit/Delete Post     
In the decade plus since I first discovered online Legion fandom, Greybird was easily one of the most prolific and vocal posters in all that time. People didn't always agree with him, but he had the courage of his convictions and always believed in what he said.

To think that I will never see his posts again on an online forum beggars my imagination.

--------------------
Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/GlenCadigan

or check out my website at http://www.glencadigan.com

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glen Cadigan
Semi-Pro

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glen Cadigan   Email Glen Cadigan         Edit/Delete Post     
More Greybird thoughts that just occurred to me:

1) He was the ringleader behind the effort to save all of the posts at LegionPics when that ship was going down. I don't know whatever happened to them in the end, or if anyone else still has them, but it was a thankless job.

2) When Steve Lightle elected to form a new Legion Yahoo! Group, he asked Greybird and myself to be co-moderators. It didn't catch on, but for a while there, we were semi-important.

3) He was almost on Rosie O'Donnell's old show because he had seen Moulin Rouge, like, a million times. I think he said 'no' after he said 'yes', and I don't know why he turned it down, but if he hadn't, it'd probably be on YouTube now.

4) I remember him being really excited when I ran a piece of original art that he owned (Dawnstar from Who's Who in the DC Universe by Jim Sherman) in The Legion Companion and credited him as Steve "Greybird" Reed. That made it official!

5) Back in the pre-Legion World days of the old DC board when the LMBP kept expanding, the joke was that it was a force to rival the Legion itself except the real Legion had a Hall of Heroes and the LMBP didn't. Off the top of my head, this is the fourth person to pass away since then, and I've probably missed others. Life imitates art.

--------------------
Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/GlenCadigan

or check out my website at http://www.glencadigan.com

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Farewell to a challenging, passionate personality. May he enjoy his wings.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I've lost two friends this month, Ruthie and Steve, and I've found out on the same day.

I guess I needed a good cry and now I'm having one.
It's hard to type.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I've known he's been sick for awhile now but the news still comes as a shock. After all these many years I've just gotten so used to seeing him online, first at the DCMB's where he presaged even me, then here and then Facebook. His passion for certain topics and his insight & intelligence were qualities I'll always admire.

His passion for Dawnstar is what we all recognize foremost but he cared a great deal about other things, especially human rights. In that regard I found his Facebook posts even more full of vim and vigor in all the best ways.

We'd known each other since 1999, but it was after LW that we really became friends. I always loved most when he'd let himself goof off with us, like his Welcome Alt ID to Test the Problem thread. He even began the Legion World Triumvirate with Eryk and I. I always held out hope we'd get back to the silliness eventually.

As said elsewhere, I hope you're flying now, Steve.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Surprised at this, I am.

quote:
Originally posted by Glen Cadigan:
1) He was the ringleader behind the effort to save all of the posts at LegionPics when that ship was going down. I don't know whatever happened to them in the end, or if anyone else still has them, but it was a thankless job.

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000857

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Damn.

Soar high, Steve. Soar high.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'll always remember him for this beautiful post he contributed to a thread that I started:

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=001802#000010

Rest in peace.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Greybird could be very exasperating at times and be very nit-picky, but it was because he cared about how things were.

My sympathy to his friends and family.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
Anyone thinking about pulling together a Greybird's greatest posts thread?

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenaustin
4/28/37 - I miss you, momma - 6/13/11

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenaustin   Author's Homepage   Email kenaustin         Edit/Delete Post     
Ah man...I'm so sorry to hear this. He was a cool guy.

Fly, Greybird. Fly.

[Frown]

--------------------
kenaustin's korner - Legion Magic

From: Louisville, Ky | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Just heard the news and felt compelled to pop in and add my condolences. It's been years since I interacted with him but he will always stand out in my mind, likely because he had such a way with words. He was certainly a master of the English language and I always admired him for that, as well as his devotion to Dawnstar. It's almost impossible for me to see Dawny and not think of him and now he's gone.

Rest well, Greybird, and enjoy those wings. I'm sure you are soaring through the spaceways in search of you Starhaven kin.

RIP

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
We have another Legion fan who passed away - Chris Companik - [Frown]

I am crying so much in the past two days...LEGION John, Greybird, and now Chris Companik. I befriended them all from the old heydays way back in 90s in AOL chat room. [Frown] [Frown]

From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lad Boy
3rd smartest person on Legion World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lad Boy   Email Lad Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Glide in Peace, Greybird.
From: Washington DC | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
The thing I remember most about Greybird was his hatred of April Fool's day. Several years ago, when Crossgen was imploding, he didn't believe all of those titles were really being cancelled because it happened towards the end of March. It was pretty funny then.

He wasn't that old, was he? Does anyone know the cause of death?

I have to say, this thread made me sad, and I will remember Greybird and his very strong personality fondly.

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.