Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » What is Your Legion World Story? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: What is Your Legion World Story?
Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
I have been posting on comic book forums since I was a teenager. I have held Moderator/Adminstrator positions on the gaming section of one of those forums. I think I joined this website because I was bored a couple of summers ago and had the time and interest to join another forum. After awhile, this became the primary comic book website I visit. The people are geniuine, respectful, and the longevity of this website speaks to its success.

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
Unlike poor Sharklad who outed himself as PBeaver during an online chat session on the Yahoogroup.

This still makes me laugh... thought I was being so clever... ah well...

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by future king:

I felt like a little kid when I was trying to figure out a code name for myself.
I still think the name I chose is kinda corny, but I'm a firm believer in sticking to your guns, so I picked this name and I guess I'm going to see it through until the end.

... unless I change my mind at some point that is! [Wink]

*cough* Still think "FUBAR King" = AWESOMETITSAUCE!!! *cough* [Yes]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by SharkLad:
quote:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
Unlike poor Sharklad who outed himself as PBeaver during an online chat session on the Yahoogroup.

This still makes me laugh... thought I was being so clever... ah well...
*Altidofsharklad*
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghost Girl
spirit of the night

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost Girl           Edit/Delete Post     
I missed the original DCMB heyday and the infamous Rob's Boards.

In short: I was a Legion fan from around 77-78ish to 1989; I left when Levitz did (ironically, the Giffbaum run would in recent years become one of my favorites). I never had any desire to be part of active fandom, let along Legion-specific. I had friends into comics, and worked at a CBS from 1993-98ish; that was enough contact for me.

I got back into Legion in 2002-3ish, and by late 2003 decided to give web forums a try. I got a link from he DCMB and lurked for a few days, joining around the same time as Invisible Brainiac, as I recall (under my main ID, that is). I was a regular poster until this past spring, when I came to the realization this might not be the place it used to be (for me). It still feels like home, but a home I've moved away from (paralleling certain real-life transitions, in a way).

I've lurked once or twice since then, but as most of the people I came here it interact with I see on Facebook, it is no longer the daily obsession it was. I do miss the rest of you, and will be on at least once more in mid-December, if only to keep up with tradition.

--------------------
death becomes me

From: Shangalla | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost Girl:

I do miss the rest of you, and will be on at least once more in mid-December, if only to keep up with tradition.

You are greatly missed (as I hope you saw me intentionally reference in a thread earlier tonight)! But I look forward to your annual toast, Ghost!

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghost Girl
spirit of the night

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost Girl           Edit/Delete Post     
I did! thanks!

--------------------
death becomes me

From: Shangalla | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
I did! thanks!

[Hug]

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
quote:

I do miss the rest of you, and will be on at least once more in mid-December, if only to keep up with tradition.

You are greatly missed (as I hope you saw me intentionally reference in a thread earlier tonight)! But I look forward to your annual toast, Ghost!
[Yes]

Great to stay in contact on FB but still miss you on LW!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

As for my story, well, it's pretty much covered in Lash's and Cobie's entries, so I don't want to rehash any of that early stuff. I can only add that my first ever look at a message board prior to Wizard World was something called SMC or Superman Chat (IIRC) where I posted as "DC Bullet". Not sure what that board was connected to or whether it exists in any form today, but I kinda cut my teeth on it for a time. It was pretty active, being that it was during one of Superman's absolute peaks of popularity post-"Death" that it rode for many years. It didn't hold my interest very much when I realized I was so much older than the dominantly tween membership. That was pretty obvious when I announced I was about to become a dad for the first time. [Smile] That would put me on SMC circa 1996.

Some time later, I tried again at the Wizard Boards. I noticed the web address on the Wizard magazine, which I'd been picking up at the time and registered as "LARDLAD" to show my own self-deprecating humor and Legion interest. I was primarily interested in discussing what proved to be my real, enduring love in comics: the Legion. Off and on, I could have some pretty good conversations about them there, really for the first time since I'd never met anyone who collected the Legion at my CBS or among my waning number of friends who'd collected comics. Particularly, this guy who went by "MLLASH" was a delight to have discussions with.

Frustratingly, though, after a while, the Legion area would go entire DAYS without any activity. And I found the other comics I was interested full of boneheads who you couldn't have a decent conversation with. So it struck me: I wonder if DC has message boards? Why, yes, they did, I found. And that MLLASH fella was there, as were countless other posters who were totally into discussing the Legion as much as I was. KEWL! I decided to retain the "LARDLAD" handle.

At some point I found I was enjoying these people so much that I wanted to know more about them as people. So with great nervousness, trepidation and excitement, I started the "Who Are You?" thread. Honestly, I was afraid it would be a total flop! Instead, it became the most popular thread on that board and just took off like a jet plane! It grew from just posting profiles of yourselves into discussions and getting to know you tangents, and I loved the hell out of it! I'm so glad I took that leap! Maybe someone would've inevitably done same, but, who knows, maybe not?

So it all grew into the LMB and thrived on the Legionnaires (or "L*" as we abbreviated it) for, I guess, a year or so before moving on to other places for our nomadic phase. (Did I really create the first tag, Cobie? I know I did "5YL" and that that wasn't the original...but the first?) I was an active member throughout our first roughly four years along with stalwarts like lash and cru.

So, thankfully, we were blessed with LW in 2003 and owe quite a debt to its founders for finally having stability. Problem was, only a few months into LW, I encountered a mysterious computer problem that disallowed me from signing in. To this day, I still don't know what caused it. The admins tried their best to help me with it but to no avail. So this began a period of approximately two years that I wasn't active.

It's not that the computer problem persisted that long, I think. It was the original impetus to such a degree that I gave up trying after a while. Then, RL started getting pretty rough. My wife and I had our second child. I'd accepted a transfer to another store for a big raise that involved my having a major commute for the first time. Then, my dad died, and I learned I was a Type II diabetic as his death brought a sudden focus to my health.

At some point, I adjusted to all this change in my life and eventually checked back in to Legion World. I'm certainly glad I did! Like others have said, it always seems to feel like home, no matter what people stay, move on or arrive brand new. I regret, though, that I missed possibly the wildest, most creative era in LMB history when I never intended to miss a bit of it.

But I've been back for longer than I originally was helping giving birth to all this insanity, and, though LARDLAD has (mostly) morphed into "Lard Lad", y'all ain't gittin' ridda me! [tease]

--------------------

Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
One of the first things I did when I got a computer with an internet connection was sign up on the DC Message Boards. As a lifelong comic book geek and Legion fan it seemed like the natural thing to do. I was more of a lurker - and occasional poster. I commented on current issues and memories of growing up with the Legion. I was aware that things were getting silly on the Legionnaires board. It was amusing but not really my thing, so I avoided it and stuck mainly to the main board.

I wasn't really aware of the whole migration to Rob's boards and home hopping. At some point, shortly after Legion World was established, somebody must have sent me a link or announced the establishment of this place on the DC message boards. My profile shows that I signed up in October 2003, so I made my way over early.

Again, it was more about keeping up with the Legion comics and participating mainly in conversations about memories of Legion books than actively participating in the growing community. I was never a prolific poster, but was pretty consistently present. As time moved on, I guess you guys got under my skin. I gradually participated more and more.

My partner was diagnosed with cancer about three years ago. He had been pretty sick for almost a year before the official diagnosis. So, a once active social life evolved into quiet nights at home. No more going to the bars, concerts, theatre or fabulous dinners. His energy level has declined. Quiet nights at home evolved into me tucking him into bed shortly after dinner and facing some long and lonely nights. I started spending more and more time on line in the evenings, and now come to Legion World almost every night. The sense of community that is present here has become an important part of my life. It helps provide some balance and levity in some pretty crazy times. Legion World has become a safe harbor in an enduring storm. In short, you guys and gals rock and I am grateful for the time I get to spend with you.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I Just read Cobie's entry, and had to comment before I return to read the rest of the thread--

As I have never had any significant absence from the LMB that I can recall, I can state confidently that Cobie's absences were awful periods of time that only Absinthe could help me get through.

Cobie, I know I can say in a non-embarassing way that I love you, and the LMB would not be the tiniest fraction of what it is without you, son!!

And now I wish I had said that in a non-embarassingly way, but, y'know, that's the LMB for you!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Great, I guess the old blowhard (me) is now gonna comment on EVERONE'S entry... forgive me, y'all...

Dev-- I *totes* remember you being the 25th person to post for membership on the original LMB thread (which I think I have on a disc somehere...)!

And I totes remember seeing pictures of your baby girl... possibly on the old LMBP Yahoo group??? Is that even still there?? And it is SO COOL to see the little lady she has grown into, as well as seeing your son (via Facebook, these days)!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

quote:
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
Vell, it vass shpringtime undt ze cannibus vuss in bluum...zen, i met zomvon called mmmmmlashz undt vee rest vuss historee!

I can't understand a WORD you are posting!!!! *glares at Rick, then laughs hysterically*

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Future King... 2007? That was, like, 4 years ago!! Is it crazy that I still think of you as a newbie we all should be hazing??? [Wink]

Sharklad... All I needed to see was "Lash Lad" in your post... everyone may now bestow love upon me for ensuring that you rejoined our ranks! (Seriously though... your absence too was felt hard by me, and I was elated when you returned!!)

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.