Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Your two titles for a desert island (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Your two titles for a desert island
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
You have no idea...

One question...can I take someone with me. [Big Grin]

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
LSH and Spider-Man; for me that's a no-brainer. But I could easily pick 10 runs.

Just noticed this...great taste.
quote:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
1) Legion of Super Heroes.

2) The Amazing Spider-Man.

You sir, have a refined literary palette!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Roberta Gregory's Naughty Bits and... I don't know about the second choice.

[Hmmm?]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
1) Young Justice

2) Dreadstar

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Good grief, did I kill this thread?

I agree Dreadstar's pretty obscure, but I know there's lots of Young Justice fans here at LW.

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I can't imagine taking any comics series with me if I were going to be on a deserted island forever. It would get old reading the same stories over and over, and the temptation to supplement the firewood would be great . . .

But if I have to choose (and am allowed some liberty in interpreting the term "entire runs"), then I'll pick:

1. The preboot Legion up to and including 5YL
2. The Incredible Hulk series from 1968 to whenever

I have not read most of the latter, so it would be fresh. I picked up a couple of back issues recently (226 and Annual 13) and surprisingly enjoyed them.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Oooo, He Who, the Hulk from 331 to 426 is consistently excellent. And that run is being collected in a series of trades titled Hulk Visionaries: Peter David.

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm... if a complete run of Superman included Superboy, Jimmy Olsen, and Lois Lane, I'd definitely be tempted by that! Plus, if I ever *did* get rescued, I sure wouldn't mind having that Action Comics #1 to fund my post-Island retirement!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Now that you mention it, Fanfie, I remember reading much of Peter David's Hulk run. I agree: It was excellent.

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Always glad to find out someone else is a fan of PAD's Hulk run. [Yes]

I especially like when Dale Keown was drawing it, circa the late 360s through late 390s.

By any chance, He Who, did you read any of PAD's Young Justice run?

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

No, I never read Young Justice. A quick check on Wikipedia revealed that it started in 1998, a time when I was winding my way back into the Legion after an absence and had otherwise scaled back my comics purchases. I had no time or interest in another youthful super-team.

I'm often wrong about such things, though. The Hulk never appealed to me as a character (apart from his interaction with the other Defenders), but his book has at times been intelligently written and emotionally satisfying. Issue 226, which I mentioned above, was written by Roger Stern, who has the Hulk visiting his (Banner's) old college campus and confronting some past emotional demons. Annual 13, written by Bill Mantlo, is a moving piece about the need for friends. Writers like Stern, Mantlo, and PAD can take seemingly unpromising concepts and spin gold around them.

--------------------

Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd have to go LSH (of course!)

second choice is tough, but I think Alpha Flight gets to go

From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Arguably, PAD's Young Justice was the book that the various reboots of the Legion (and, for that matter, the various reboots of the Titans) SHOULD have been but rarely were.

The first year of PAD's YJ is a bit frivolous and some of the jokes are groaners (although they come so thick and fast that the duds are excusable), but it really turns a corner with issue #15. Cissie, Anita, Cassie, and Suzie/Greta, and Cissie and Cassie's mothers were some of the most believeable female characters ever seen in a superhero comic. The whole run is never less than worth reading, and it should have been much longer than just 55 issues. It seems to me the whole reason it was cancelled was because the DiDiot just didn't GET it, which I think says a lot about the DiDiot.

--------------------

Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
1. Legion of Super-Heroes- Probably Three-Boot simply because that's when I discovered Legion. Elysion is mine. Looking back, while the plot was sometimes lacking the characterization was excellant.

2.Fantastic Four- Kirby/Lee is great with the team, and Byrne is excellant as well. But I really love Waid and Wieringo's run, which I have reread countless times. They ran character analysis and did tons of research. It paid off big time because they managed to combine the right amount of action and light-hearted moments.

I just notice both of these titles had Waid as writers. I guess I really like his writing style.

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
1) LSH, for sure. I'll cheat by bringing ALL appearances, so I get to have Crisis on Infinite Earths too. There's enough material there to be pleasantly entertained for quite a while.

2) I'm torn between JLA and JSA. A lot of my favorite characters were with the JLA, but the membership comes and goes... on the other hand, I've enjoyed JSA immensely in the past few years.

If I really had to pick I'd go with JLA. Love reading the JLI bits!

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.