Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Other things Kent Shakespeare has in common with Barney Fife... (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Other things Kent Shakespeare has in common with Barney Fife...
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
*Sigh* We export freakin' McDonalds to like every country on the globe, but apparently we don't export the Andy Griffith Show.

And we wonder why the rest of the world hates us.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Bah! I blame your guys generation for not keeping that cool whistle thing as a major part of pop culture! By 'your guys generation' I mean everyone not born in the year 1981!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
You're right! My generation was too busy trying to preserve the background fife-playing that accompanied Oliver Douglas's speeches on Green Acres, that we completely neglected the whistling from the Andy Griffith Show!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

You've hit the the nail on the head! And while that pig from Green Acres lives on in collective memory, that Andy Griffith episode where the boy says the guy can blow smoke out of his ears but the whole town thinks he's lying but he's really not is lost! That episode really bothered a very young Cobalt!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Forget the whistling and the pig, I spent my time trying to twitch my nose like that sexy Samantha.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

This may be a good time for me to incorporate my green acres/I dream of genie slashfic that Gary banned from Bits!*

*does not yet exist

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Back on topic.

Their love of Thelma Lou?

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saturn Girl
Always Leave Them Spellbound

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saturn Girl           Edit/Delete Post     
Perhaps a mother fixation on Aunt Bea? "Ohhhh Andy!"...
From: Utah (non-Mormon!!!) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Heartaches! Nothing but heartaches!
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walkwithcrowds
Skinny wee Scottish guy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for walkwithcrowds   Email walkwithcrowds         Edit/Delete Post     
Nope!

Still have no idea what you guys are talking about.

I got, what I thought was, the Bewitched reference - Man! I was and still am SO in love with Elizabeth Montgomery - but as to the rest?

You have to remember, I'm from the old country - we're still chasing wild Haggis up and down the hills.

--------------------
Be lucky

From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
WWC, try here for info on The Andy Griffith Show.

As for Kent and Barney, no one had the heart to tell either of them that he shouldn't be in the chorus.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walkwithcrowds
Skinny wee Scottish guy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for walkwithcrowds   Email walkwithcrowds         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks Rockhopper Lad.

"The "Citizen Kane" of Television Shows"

Well it get's a very good write up and you guys - who obviously have good taste (or you wouldn't be here) like it.

As far as I know it has never been shown over here but I recognize some of the names, from where they have been referenced in other TV shows and comics.

We don't really get a lot of your old sitcoms over here any more. These things seem to come in waves. I do remember seeing a lot of sitcoms - Bewitched, I love Lucy, Mork and Mindy, Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Rohda and Taxi - when I was younger.

As you can tell a lot of this was 70's stuff.

Then we seemed to get loads of Sci-Fi:

Star Trek, The Six Million Doller Man,The Man from Atlantis, The Invisible Man, Knight Rider, The Incredible Hulk, Land of the Giants, Lost in Spaceand Quantum Leap.

Now days every other American show seems top be a cop/CSI variation.

Which I'm not in to so much.

Those shows I listed were all ones I really loved and all play a big part in my childhood, as it seems The Andy Griffth show was for all of you.

Sadly the show seems only to have been released on Region 1 DVD and my DVD player is not multi region (Europe is Region 2). Maybe it's time I splashed out on a new DVD player.

--------------------
Be lucky

From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
You've hit the the nail on the head! And while that pig from Green Acres lives on in collective memory, that Andy Griffith episode where the boy says the guy can blow smoke out of his ears but the whole town thinks he's lying but he's really not is lost! That episode really bothered a very young Cobalt!

That pig, as you call him, has a name. And that name is Arnold Ziffle.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
The Andy Griffith show was known as a warmedy, a show with slight humor and meant to make you feel all warm inside.

And Don Knotts was the star of such film classics as "The Ghost & Mr. Chicken", "The Reluctant Astronaut", and the classic "The Incredible Mr. Limpet". "I wish... I wish... I wish I were a fish."

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Did Kent ever turn into a fish?

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.