Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Quislet's Super Law Firm...of Space! (Page 18)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 39 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  37  38  39   
Author Topic: Quislet's Super Law Firm...of Space!
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
It is always hard to determine how a vote will go with the SC. O'Connor is usually one of the swing votes.

This definitely seems like a "duck" ruling.

Personally, I think the words "Under God" should be taken out. They were not in the original Pledge. And I think that the intentions of Congress at the time of the inclusion of "Under God" shows that the inclusion was religiously based, which would be a violation of the 1st Amendment.

Will another parent or parents challenge this? Possibly, but I don't think it will happen in the immediate future.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey hey, Quislet is "Member of the Moment" at the moment!

Here's a mini-statue I made to honor the occasion.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leap Year Lord           Edit/Delete Post     
So Quis, let's say someone destroys a comic book you own. You sue. Sometime between the day it was destroyed and when the case is heard in court the market value of the book very suddenly and dramatically changes. If the case goes your way and the judge wants to order the defendant to cover the loss, how does she figure the dollar amount?
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
And could there be some compensation for the mental anguish?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Quis,

Let's say that the Green Goblin grabs my girlfriend Gwen and hurls her to her death off a bridge. I try to grab her with my web shooters (bare with me), and actually help kill her faster by snapping her neck.

Am I liable? What if I'm in a masked costume and run away? Does that make it worse?

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Leap Year Lass:
So Quis, let's say someone destroys a comic book you own. You sue. Sometime between the day it was destroyed and when the case is heard in court the market value of the book very suddenly and dramatically changes. If the case goes your way and the judge wants to order the defendant to cover the loss, how does she figure the dollar amount?

When you file your complaint, you have to state a dollar value for the damages you are seeking. If between the time you file your complaint and the trial the value goes up, it is a matter of "tough luck" for you. If the value goes down, then it is "tough luck" for the defendant.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
And could there be some compensation for the mental anguish?

You can always have the charge of mental anquish.

I believe that the damages for mental anquish are determined by the trier of facts (aka the jury or the judge, if it isn't a jury trial)

--------------------

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Quis,

Let's say that the Green Goblin grabs my girlfriend Gwen and hurls her to her death off a bridge. I try to grab her with my web shooters (bare with me), and actually help kill her faster by snapping her neck.

Am I liable? What if I'm in a masked costume and run away? Does that make it worse?

Well there are several conponents to this hypothetical.

First there are criminal charges and possible civil charges.

It would be up to the Prosecutor to decide if criminal charges would be filed against you. If you were charged, you would probaly argue that the element of intent is missing and therefore the prosecutor has not proven his case. Then it would be up to the trier of the facts (Jury or judge if no jury trial) to decide your fate.

Now in a civil case (probably wrongful death brought by Gwen's estate and/or family) they can argue that you were neglegent in your attempt to save her and thus you would be jointly liable with the Green Goblin. If GG had actually thrown Gwen from a height that would not have killed her, your use of the web shooter would be considered an intervening act and GG would not be held liable.

And in any case, running away does look bad and wouldn't help you in a court of law.

--------------------

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Hmmm.....

I think it is time I redecorated in here. Paint the walls a nice soft pastel. Get a new window treatment. Some mirrors to reflect the light and really lighten up the place.

I wonder if the Mighty Quinn M would stop by for some decorating tips.

--------------------

Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
Quis, the first item on your list should be to get a hot receptionist. He should flirt with all the clients and be named something like Chad. It'll really help business.
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
So, what's the potential sentence for spiking a lawyer's drink with ProFem then?

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mighty Quinn M.
!!!!!!!!!!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Mighty Quinn M.   Email The Mighty Quinn M.         Edit/Delete Post     
It sounds like you've already done some major remodeling and redecorating, Quislette!!
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

quote:
Originally posted by Semi Transparent Fellow:
Quis, the first item on your list should be to get a hot receptionist. He should flirt with all the clients and be named something like Chad. It'll really help business.

Hmmm....

I think I should get at least five receptionists. The job is very demanding and I am not sure one would be up to the task.

--------------------

The Mighty Quinn M.
!!!!!!!!!!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Mighty Quinn M.   Email The Mighty Quinn M.         Edit/Delete Post     
Hi Quislet!!

Do you have to take continuing education courses to keep your credentials? What are Space-Lawyer Seminars like?

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

I think I am supposed to do continuing ed, but haven't done anything yet.

Quinn, I am planning on having 5 hunky guy receptionists. Would you consider managing them for me?

--------------------

This topic comprises 39 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  37  38  39   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.