Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Fanfic Lass' Fantabulous Land of Eighties Enchantment (Page 17)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19   
Author Topic: Fanfic Lass' Fantabulous Land of Eighties Enchantment
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm actually shocked at the amount of 80s cartoons available on Youtube. Except for GI Joe (which seems to have only sporadic episodes), I've been able to pretty much revisit everything I remember watching as a kid.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Must get new computer. Must. must.

Eating? Cleaning? Gas? Who needs that stuff?

[Wink]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Especially for Cleome. [tease]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SqJLrsmnLc

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Yay! FFL's back!
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I actually have a soft spot for ONJ from childhood.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Ahhh! Just posting in this thread is giving me phantom mullet pains...

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
I can't decide whether I hate mullets or Spears midriffs more. At any rate, both will be summarily banned when I take over the comics industry.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

They call him Kwicky
Koala

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Last night, I had a vivid dream about Julian Cope.

Rather odd, considering that I cooled off on him a while ago and that when I recently narrowed down my CD collection to the top fifty so I could put the rest in storage, only four of his CDs made the cut.

They all date from the 80s, even though his "official" best work is from the 90s.

Anyhow, I thought if I had a dream about him, I should share them, even though I've mentioned some of them in this thread before:

1. "World Shut Your Mouth" (1983) - His wistful solo debut, a big rebound from the feckless final recordings by The Teardrop Explodes. Guitar pop with hooks AND brains AND heart. NOTE: Does not contain the title song, which he didn't record until three years later.

2. "Fried" (1984) - Weirder and darker than its older sister album "WSYM", it still has a pop gem in "Sunspots", which I consider a psychedelic masterpiece on the order of the Beatles' "I Am the Walrus," but even "Sunspots" has dark undertones.

3. "The Followers of Saint Julian" (rec. 1985-1987) - Remixes, live cuts and outtakes from the era which resulted in his flawed attempt to meet the mainstream halfway via his third album, "Saint Julian." This is more consistently listenable than "Saint Julian" in my opinion.

4. "Leperskin" (rec. 1986-1992) - A compliation of highlights from his albums for the Island label, including the original studio versions of most of the best "Saint Julian" songs, but a big BOO for leaving off "Eve's Volcano" in favor of the Peter Gabriel parody "Planet Ride." Thank goodness for the "Eve's Volcano" remix on "Followers."

--------------------

Ram Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ram Boy   Email Ram Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Fanfic Lass, I first heard Julian Cope on a collage radio station back in the early nineties. The station was big into Brit Pop (as was I), and for the longest time I lumped Julian in with acts like Blur, Ride, Ned's Atomic Dustbin and the rest. I didn't realize till years later that he actually predated these groups by a more than a decade.
Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Brit Pop had some stuff I learned to like years after the fact: Elastica, Suede, Pulp...I may badmouth the 90s a lot, but that doesn't mean there isn't a lot of stuff from that era that I do like.

Just not gr*ng*.

Or g*ngst* r*p.

--------------------

Ram Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ram Boy   Email Ram Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't look at you as badmouthing the decade. I see you more as a keeper of all that was really good about the Eighties music scene.

For my part, I love how music genres flow into each other and progress. Julian, for instance, may not have been a part of the BritPop scene, but he (and other acts) definitely set the stage for them. You can even hear his influence in the Rock Revival of the early 00's.

(Suede! Now I'm listening to Animal Nitrate)

Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

quote:
Originally posted by Ram Boy:
I don't look at you as badmouthing the decade. I see you more as a keeper of all that was really good about the Eighties music scene.

Thank you, Ram Boy. You've just made my night. [Smile]

--------------------

cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lass:
Especially for Cleome. [tease]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SqJLrsmnLc

The Princes Diana Mullet look is probably coming back in style even as I type this.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Eh, bad hair, big deal. It's the almighty hook and the lovely melody which matter to me.

I am an unironic fan of hers. Sure, she seems kinda cheesy in hindsight, but to a kindergarten-through-grade-school Fanfic Lass, she seemed awesome at the time.

--------------------

This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.