Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Fanfic Lass' Fantabulous Land of Eighties Enchantment (Page 15)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19   
Author Topic: Fanfic Lass' Fantabulous Land of Eighties Enchantment
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
G'nite ladies!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
On this page of the Anywhere Machine forum's "Smexy" thread, I made an anti-grunge comment that I didn't expect to set off a snowball reaction. I don't want to throw the "Smexy" thread off-topic, so I'm going to re-activate my personal thread, get on my soapbox, and give what I hope is my last word on Why I Hate Grunge.

When I was a teenager, I didn't like my peers at all. I was a friendless loner. I had all sorts of issues with religion and sexuality and other things.

But despite my alienation, my tastes in popular culture were surprisingly conventional at the time, especially where music was concerned. Music, to me, was escapist ear candy. The only "angry" band that I liked was Guns n Roses, because they felt cathartic, they seemed defiant, and Axl Rose seemed (at first) like neither man nor woman but a feral omnisexual mutant, which was how I felt at that age. Of course, he went on to reveal his homophobia and grow a beard and stop washing his hair, but the impact of their first album and of the "Welcome to the Jungle" music video was something that could not be negated by sad reality.

Unlike my peers, I was perfectly happy with music the way it was and I didn't want some bunch of whining smackheads to pollute the airwaves with their lame "teen anthems" while pretending that they really didn't want to be rock stars and laying on the "tortured artiste" schtick way too thick.

Grunge was nothing but a swindle, and a swindle done with none of the flair of a Malcolm McLaren. It told teenagers, "be cynical, be resigned, be flippant, be a zombie." My response then was a resounding "F*** YOU" and a lingering skepticism on the very concept of "alternative" culture. Sorry, but when the peers who made my life a living hell started getting tattoos and piercings and wearing flannel and gathering like lemmings at Lollapalooza so that they could sing along to music that was every bit as "corporate" as what it claimed to oppose, you could count me out. And when my now middle-aged peers look at the 90s at the best of times, I laugh contemptuously.

I have since become a lot more open-minded about music, and have developed eclectic tastes. But grunge is, and will always be, my musical bete noire.

I'm not trying to start any arguments. If you're reading this and you like that stuff, have a ball with it. Despite my venom and bitterness in the above paragraphs, I do respect your opinion. I'm just getting something off my chest. We all have to sometimes.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
I posted the "Steve Albini" song in the lyrics thread just for you, Babe.

[Poke Joke]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
[ROTFLMAO]

Thank you. I was worried about what kind of reaction that post might get. I was afraid maybe I had gone too far. Glad to see that I didn't.

I won't deny that it was very cathartic. [Big Grin]

Oh, and Albini's a twerp and a sellout. [Razz] [Wink]

--------------------

Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
So, Fanfie, now that you have a new name, are you going to rename this thread, too?

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Possibly.

I keep thinking something like "Fanfic Lass' Fantabulous..." and then I can't think of how to finish it.

I'm open to any suggestions.

--------------------

Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
"Fanfic Lass' Fantabulous Land of Festivity?" That sounded so much better in my head.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Kix & Trix With Fanfix?

Oh, forget it.

[skulks away]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Fanfic Lass' Funky Fantasia
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Awww, your suggestion was cute, Cleome.

Rocky, I think you've got something there. "Fanfic Lass' Fantabulous Land of..."

[Hmmm?]

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Kent, that's a good one, too.

But I think I've finally got it:

"Fanfic Lass' Fantabulous Land of Eighties Enchantment"

How's that?

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Thread's name changed.

My thanks to Rocky, Cleome, and Kent for helping out.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
80s? I **LOVE** that decade!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Feel free to indulge your nostalgia to the fullest, Lash.

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
The 80s... exciting and new.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.