Legion World
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Kill This Thread VI: The 24-Hour Version, Part II (Page 13)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16   
Author Topic: Kill This Thread VI: The 24-Hour Version, Part II
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Zeppo was always overlooked, but, in many ways he was the funniest Marx Brother. In real life, he was absolutely the funniest. He was also by far the best looking. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
The most unfunny Marx brother was Karl or as he was known as Cappy.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
The Marx most unworthy of public attention was Richard.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
There's a funny scene in Katherine Anne Porter's short story Holiday in which the narrator notes that her wealthy landowner host likes to unwind at night by rereading an old copy of Das Kapital.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
When I worked at the bank, there was one teller who would read Das Kapital on his breaks. He was of Armenian ancestry and one day he noticed a customer's last name meant "son of the Devil" in Armenian. He wondered what this guy's ancestor did to get that name. The next time that customer came in, he asked him if he knew that his name meant "Son of the Devil". I don't remember the customer's reaction.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Most Armenian surnames, like the word "Armenian", end in "-ian".

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

The few Armenian-Americans I've known did not have an '-ian' suffixed surname (like 'Fradon'), possibly through intermarriage with non-Armenians.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Sometimes they were changed at Ellis Island. Someted the family shortens them. I knew such a family when I was a kid. The suburbs just west of Boston where I lived when I was little have large Armenian-American communities.

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

I do recall one Armenian-American young woman I knew in the late 80s who seemed to be part of a cohesive Armenian community, but I do not recall her last name.

Ramona Fradon certainly had Armenian family connections, and talked about some family gatherings.

On a slightly related note, she apparently modeled Java (from Metamorpho) after her own brother.

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Her daughter Amy also had a rather lovely song," Armenia," from the mid-90s: http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/2894349/a/Take+Me+Home.htm

I used to have a huuuugge crush on Amy, and saw her perform live at every chance I could (which in the early 90s was quite often). [Smile]

Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

"Fradon" is, according to her Wikipedia article, Ramon Fradon's married name. It doesn't list her maiden name.

Another Armenian-American was Arlene Francis, who was born Arlene Francis Kazanjian.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
David Hedison, born Albert David Hedistian Junior, is also Armenian-American. I liked him as Captain Crane on Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, but I haven't see the show since I was about 14. I have a feeling it doesn't hold up very well.

Hedison's co-star, Richard Basehart, played Admiral Nelson and was the subject of a crush from Gypsy, one of the robots on MST3K.

Hedison has two daughters, Alexandra and Serena. Alexandra is a former actress turned photographer and filmmaker. She dated Ellen DeGeneres for four years.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
The cartoon "Totally Spies" has three female main characters who go by the name of Sam, Alex and Clover.

In my freshman year, I was classmates with a female Sam and Alex. Sadly, no Clover...

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

David Hedison was my all-time least-favorite Felix Leiter. In License to Kill, I rooted for the shark.

My favorite Hedison part (not that I ever thought he was a particularly talented actor) was as the politician who courted the youth vote in Wild in the Streets, a paranoid late-60s propaganda piece against lowering the voting age from 21 to 18 (just as the book Logan's Run essentially was).

Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Logan Airport in Boston is located in East Boston, right on Boston Harbor. When landing there, it often looks as if you're going to land in the water until the very last second when you see the runway.

--------------------

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.