Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Quislet's Super Law Firm...of Space! (Page 12)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 39 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  37  38  39   
Author Topic: Quislet's Super Law Firm...of Space!
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Proty II:
Have you seen the stars tonight? Would you like to go out an A-Deck and look at them with me?

Ken

Proty II,

Welcome to Legion World. It is always good to see new people around here. There are many great threads to read and post to. The premiere thread to flirt in is Shakes, a fine drinking establishment. (Harbringer pounds out great songs on the piano there) You might also want to try out the Beacon too.

As this is an office, I like to keep the flirting to a minimum. Feel free to ask any legal related question here. I try to answer all questions to the best of my ability.

Disclaimer time: I don't offer legal opinions or advice here. You need to consult a local attorney for that.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
The specifics of what power the elected Legion World leader have never been laid out. If the leader were to harrass the founders of Legion World, resulting in his being "BANNED!", could he, as the elected leader, find some way to use his ambiguous power to stop this banning? Do we have the possibility of a potential dictatorship on our hands? Do we need a Legion World Senate? [Wink]
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
The specifics of what power the elected Legion World leader have never been laid out. If the leader were to harrass the founders of Legion World, resulting in his being "BANNED!", could he, as the elected leader, find some way to use his ambiguous power to stop this banning? Do we have the possibility of a potential dictatorship on our hands? Do we need a Legion World Senate? [Wink]

Well seeing as the Leader's powers are unspecified, it is impossible to state whether he/she has a power to stop said banning.

It would be well advised to remember that in the layers of reality we call Legion World, the ultimate reality is that this is private property and we are here as invited guests and that said invitation can be revoked at any time for any reason or no reason.

Beyond that it is also well advised to remember the word of Ma Quislet. "You can attract more quarks with positive polarity than with a singularity!"

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I really prefer fantasy cases, but here's a question from real life.

I drove by a gas station yesterday, and the prices posted on the sign all read 0.0, on both sides. Now if I had gone and filled up the tank, could I have claimed that I thought it was free gas, maybe a promotional deal? Assuming there was a price reading on the meter where you actually fill up, which price would have been considered the right one? What if the price on the meters also read 0.0? Would I be told that I should know that gas is not free, and that the standard price in the region is 78.9/litre?

(In a grocery store, if there is a dispute about price, you get the lower price. If there is a scanning error, you get the item for free. I don't know if that is a law, or just a policy adopted by most large stores.)

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq:
quote:
Originally posted by Proty II:
Have you seen the stars tonight? Would you like to go out an A-Deck and look at them with me?

Ken

Proty II,

As this is an office, I like to keep the flirting to a minimum.

I should point out here that Proty II is actually quoting lyrics from the Jefferson Starship number "Have You Seen The Stars", which is undoubtedly in reference to the lame Starship bit I had posted above.

[ January 16, 2004, 02:12 AM: Message edited by: Outdoor Miner ]

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Don't you want somebody to love?

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
"Suppose half the team had a disagreement over the team's purpose, their
compensation, or the allotment of pluberry desserts, and decided to split off from
the main group and form their own Legion. "

This isn't the same situation, but similar: there were two political parties in Canada, the Alliance and the Progressive Conservatives. Alliance had been a spin-off from the PCs and last year there was a move to recombine. A faction of the Conservatives was absolutely opposed and went to court to try and stop the merger. I don't know the details of the case (and part of the problem was that they got to court too late to really do anything), but basically it worked out like this. If the majority of delegates to a conference voted in favour of the merger, it was okay, regardless of what the leader had originally promised (no merger) or what the constitution said. The majority voted yes, and the new party has become The Conservative Party.

That's not exactly the same name, so "legally" it may avoid problems, but most people never used the Progressive label anyways, just called them the Conservatives - or the PCs (by which "Progressive" would be understood).

So my uneducated guess would be that if the majority of the old group split off, and some judge blessed the whole deal, the new group could do as they please. Or take a name so similar as to be one in the same for the general public. Then the countersuits could begin.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I understand the analogy of the Legion to a rock band, but I wonder if the same situation would apply.

Rock bands are commercial enterprises that usually comprise five or six individuals. When one of them claims ownership of the name (as has happened to Pink Floyd, Jefferson Starship, the Byrds, and more bands than any sane individual would care to count), the matter is often decided by whatever their original contracts specified, or some other indication of creatorship/ownership. Paul Kantner of Jefferson Starship argued that he owned that name because he had used it for a solo project long before the group existed. (He ultimately settled out of court with the then current band members.)

But the Legion as an organization is more akin to the United States Army or the New York City Police Department. I guess the answer to the question of ownership would be similar (e.g., the U.S. government and the city of New York, probably, own those respective names). So, perhaps the government of the United Planets owns the Legion's name.

Which would mean President Winema could fire everybody and hire the Oversight Watch to be the new Legion!

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
I really prefer fantasy cases, but here's a question from real life.

I drove by a gas station yesterday, and the prices posted on the sign all read 0.0, on both sides. Now if I had gone and filled up the tank, could I have claimed that I thought it was free gas, maybe a promotional deal? Assuming there was a price reading on the meter where you actually fill up, which price would have been considered the right one? What if the price on the meters also read 0.0? Would I be told that I should know that gas is not free, and that the standard price in the region is 78.9/litre?

(In a grocery store, if there is a dispute about price, you get the lower price. If there is a scanning error, you get the item for free. I don't know if that is a law, or just a policy adopted by most large stores.)

The price on the pump would probably prevail in a dispute over the price. The most persuasive argument for the station owner is that it is known that gas is not given away for free.

IF there is no price listed, a judge would probably decide that the price needs to be the average price in the area.

The thing with the stores giving the lowest price or a mis-scanned item free, does sound like a store policy.

--------------------

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Taking it easy at the office today.

*Put's feet on desk. Takes a sip of that delicious Cramer's Cafe blend coffee. Opens the newspaper and see what's happening*

--------------------

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

[Quislet] [Respect] [hug] [Universo]

the Office will be open tomorrow for legalish questions.

--------------------

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Is evidence against evil doers obtained by covert methods acceptable in a court of law?

Is exile a legally recognized punishment?

(Just planning ahead.)

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Prior Planning Prevents Poor Punishments! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
Dear Quislet,

I'm a Leader who was legally and rightfully elected in a fair and above-board election.

I've done my best to make these boards warm and friendly for everyone -- by welcoming new members, responding helpfully to questions and queries, and opening up my own home for the enjoyment of the entire populace.

Now, the people that I've worked so hard and selflessly to serve for the last couple of months are threatening to depose me, and even worse.

What sort of legal recourse do I have in preventing the greedy, ruthless usurpers from carrying out their foul schemes?

Signed,
I Am Not A Crook

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

quote:
Is evidence against evil doers obtained by covert methods acceptable in a court of law?

first the standard lawyer response. It depends.

Covert methods may be used, but they must be authorized (usually by a court). And the authorization must be based on probable cause.

For example: Officer A thinks Bad Guy sells drugs out of his home. If Officer A, on his own plants a wire tap in BG's house, then the evidence from that wire tap would not be acceptable, because there is no authorization.

Now say Officer A goes to Judge J and says "I think BG sells drugs. Let me plant a wire in his house." Even if Judge J authorizes a wire tap, no probable cause has been stated to allow the authorization.

Say instead, Officer A says "I think BG is selling drugs in his house. The neighbors have been complaining about strange cars coming and going to the house at all hours. I have seen BG with Sammy the Drug Smuggler on this date, and this date, and this date, and again today." Now there is probable cause that BG is involved in an illegal activity and a wire tap can then be used to gather evidence against BG.

Also police officers are allowed to use deception when questioning a suspect. Such as on "Law & Order" when the detectives tell a suspect that they got back the lab results even if they haven't.

quote:

Is exile a legally recognized punishment?

(Just planning ahead.)

I don't think exile is currently a legally recognized form of punishment. Non-citizens can be deported, but that is not exile. I think in some high profile cases (say ex-leaders of countries), the courts offer the person a choice of voluntarily leaving the country or facing prison or execution. In those case, exile is self-imposed.

--------------------

This topic comprises 39 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  37  38  39   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.