Legion World
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Another Person Below Me (Page 112)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 134 pages: 1  2  3  ...  109  110  111  112  113  114  115  ...  132  133  134   
Author Topic: Another Person Below Me
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Like Exnihil said on another thread, I feel as if part of my childhood has been stolen. On the other hand, I don't feel as deeply affected as I once might have, in part because I no longer follow popular culture as much as I once did.

Today, however, I was watching a rerun of the Temptations mini-series and it struck me how four of the five members of their classic lineup died relatively young (suicide, drug overdose, lung cancer, and brain seizure). It struck me because their deaths represented not only an incredible loss of talent but also a reminder of how unpredictable and ephemeral life is.

APBM,

What's the first celebrity death you remember and did it have an effect on you?

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Probably Elvis. I was only seven years old, and all of my family members were fans. I wasn't necessarily sad because I didn't really understand death yet. It was definitely kind of confusing for me.

Aaron: Presley's Baptized Middlename,

Before this recent round of celebrity deaths, which was the last one to affect you and how so?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
76 was the year I graduated high school but it was also shaping up to be a difficult year personally. I was ... depressed.

Mark Fidrych. Rookie of the Year 1976. Baseball fans of the era will know why.

R.I.P. 2009.

All Prose Badly Managed

Someone I know has tried valiantly through research (cough google cough) to resolve an understanding without successfully obtaining comprehension.

This one might take a professional.

Who can, in 1000 words or less, explain to someone (not mentioning names) correct usage of the words "affect" and "effect." I ... uh... he/she would greatly appreciate it.

Examples would be nice.

[ June 26, 2009, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Blockade Boy ]

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Affect is usually a verb meaning to influence in some way ("This affected her badly.") or to put on airs ("He's affecting an English accent."). As a noun it can mean "emotion".

Effect is usually a noun meaning the result of an cause ("That medication has bad side effects."). As a verb it can mean to implement ("We effected that change last week.").

Always present brainy messages:
Can you do the same with imply and infer?

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Without consulting a dictionary, I would say that "imply" is something one does through words or action to convey non direct meaning. "Infer" is something ones does to deduce meaning from known facts.

According to Merriam -Webster:

imply
One entry found.

Main Entry: im·ply
Pronunciation: \im-ˈplī\
Function: transitive verb

1: obsolete : enfold, entwine
2: to involve or indicate by inference, association, or necessary consequence rather than by direct statement <rights imply obligations>
3: to contain potentially
4: to express indirectly <his silence implied consent>

infer
One entry found.
Main Entry: in·fer
Pronunciation: \in-ˈfər\
Function: verb
transitive verb
1: to derive as a conclusion from facts or premises <we see smoke and infer fire — L. A. White> — compare imply
2: guess, surmise <your letter…allows me to infer that you are as well as ever — O. W. Holmes †1935>
3 a: to involve as a normal outcome of thought b: to point out : indicate <this doth infer the zeal I had to see him — Shakespeare> <another survey…infers that two-thirds of all present computer installations are not paying for themselves — H. R. Chellman>
4: suggest, hint <are you inferring I'm incompetent?>
intransitive verb
: to draw inferences <men…have observed, inferred, and reasoned…to all kinds of results — John Dewey>

Seems like what I said.

APBM,

Which do you prefer, rain or snow?

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Depends on what I'm using it for. [Wink]

Snow is beautiful to look at, but I don't like the cold or driving on ice. So, from a comfort and safety perspective, rain it is.

APBM,

Are you a morning, afternoon, or evening person?

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Definitely a morning person.

APBM,

When's the last time you stayed up all night?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abin Quank
Except when I'm someone else...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abin Quank           Edit/Delete Post     
Does working a double shift plus count? If not it's been at least 20 years...

APBM

Which threads that are not currently on page one of the MMB should be bumped up, just because?

--------------------
Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...

From: Westerly Rhode Island | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
This one: The Most Controversial Thread on the Board

APBM,

Who is your favorite foreign leader?

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abin Quank

I'd say Sardosky, but I doubt I've spelt it right.

Angry Peanut Butter Muncher

Aside from LW, what message boards do you frequently visit?

--------------------

With a Power Ring...

From: Westerly Rhode Island | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

None. I spend too much time at LW, as it is . . .

APBM,

Facebook or Twitter?

--------------------

Abin Quank

Neither, Legion World or Nothing I say!

APBM

Tomato or Tomahato?

--------------------

With a Power Ring...

Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Tomato ( or tomatoe) around here.

APBM

wash-ing-ton or warsh-ing-ton?

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
The first option, unless I'm being sarcastic. (And everyone who knows me knows that I'm never sarcastic.)

Aberdeen Puyallup Bremerton Morton

Do you believe that sarcasm is the lowest form of humor, but also the highest form of wit?

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

no, Ashton Kutcher's Punk'd, Tom Green, and Sasha Baron Cohen are the lowest forms of humor. Dorothy Parker and Oscar Wilde still remain the highest form of wit.

Angle Protractor Base Meter,

What was the first thing you wanted to be when you grew up?

--------------------

This topic comprises 134 pages: 1  2  3  ...  109  110  111  112  113  114  115  ...  132  133  134   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.