Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » What's in a name? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What's in a name?
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I am curious as to the meanings of various Legion World member's user names. I mean, the reasons for many I can figure out: a favorite character or story. I mean, who among us does not practically piddle themselves in anticipation of the latest issue of Giant Robot Lesbian Comics & Stories?

But even if they user name is merely taken from a favorite character, then why does that particular character so resonate with you that chose them as the front for you online identity?

In other cases, what's the story behind the name?

I'll go first.

Shortly after first going online in 1995, I discovered the old lsh-l on mlists mailing group. Around that time, some fans were organinzing a get-together in NYC. It was anticpated that several then Legion creators would be in attendance. In point of fact, I later learned that Paul Levitz himself was there, and not only that, I understand he picked up the check.

Anyway, I was seriously contemplating making the 10 hour drive out of the woods to attend. Somewhat innocuously, I thought, I inquired whether in would be considered bad form to bring along my portfolio. I had never (and have not yet) met a real live honest-to-goodness comics professional and thought this luncheon might provide a prime opportunity to get some feedback on my efforts.

Anyway, the resultant all-out thermonuclear flame-war that erupted led me to believe that, not only would it have been poor form to present my portfolio, I had not performed an act of particularly good form in merely being born.

Dudes! This was my first flame war. I had NO idea. Honestly, I was tear deep into this thing well after the point at which I have since learned to bail. "You're Hitler!" "No, YOU'RE Hitler" "Well, You're Hitler-Infinity"

sheesh

It was at somepoint that someone, I forget who (in fact, I can't even quite remember if they were defending me or attacking me)referred to me in the third person (at that typical point in a flame-war where people start playing U.N. translator and interpret to each other what others said and what they meant) rather cheekily as Portfolio Boy.

After I got over the hurt of the whole thing, I mean this was all new to me and serious business back then, I adopted this acidic epithet as my e-eponym.

The name has become a source of pride for me, signiying my trial-by-flame with online fandom, athough, sad to say, I have hardly drawn a line since.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
When I signed on to the old DCMB's in the fall of 2001, I decided I wanted a user name in the vein of the old Legionnaire Boy/Lad/Kid vein. Over the course of the preceding 12 months, I'd squandered a significant portion of my savings buying Legion comics and Marvin the Martian memorabilia on eBay. I took the nom de poste "Poverty Lad" as a tongue-in-cheek, personal "D'OH!" to get me back on track.

Side note: It's funny how our names take on lives of their own...

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey, Portfolio Boy, did you ever participate on the old rec.arts. newsgroup? Those guys could be serious snobs and elitists.

Anyway, my name doesn't have much of an origin story. I accidently found the Legion on the DC Message Board. I saw a poll and just had o participate. I couldn't think of anything right away so I just made up something that sounded Legionish. And Super Lad Kid was born. That's it. No more.

From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Super Lad Kid:
Hey, Portfolio Boy, did you ever participate on the old rec.arts. newsgroup? Those guys could be serious snobs and elitists.

That's exactly why I was so afraid to de-lurk. Even though I'd read every LSH ever, I never felt I could contribute. I felt guilty for just enjoying the stories and not dissecting them. I'll never be good at the trivia aspect, but my heart is there.
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
I mean, who among us does not practically piddle themselves in anticipation of the latest issue of Giant Robot Lesbian Comics & Stories?

"Walt Disney's Giant Robot Lesbian Comics & Stories -- First Gemstone Issue!"
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Semi Transparent Fellow:
quote:
Originally posted by Super Lad Kid:

That's exactly why I was so afraid to de-lurk. Even though I'd read every LSH ever, I never felt I could contribute. I felt guilty for just enjoying the stories and not dissecting them. I'll never be good at the trivia aspect, but my heart is there.
Unfortunately, that was my first exposure to Legion fandom. I, too enjoyed the reboot's early days. But if anyone said that they did on that newsgroup, they were pretty much trashed by the longtime fans who knew better. Now that I think about it, that might have scared me off from posting for awhile.

I checked it out a couple of months ago. Hardly anyone posts there anymore, and there was more discussion about a stapling error in the latest archives then there was about the latest issue.

From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
The name should be obvious. As to why I chose it? It's Legion related (I had another name for the DC Boards). Wildfire is my fav because his angst reached my teenage psyche -- being trapped in a strange new body, feeling alienated and somehow "inhuman" and not being able to get the girl. He was also one of the big-guns without being a boyscout and was fiercely loyal to the team when push came to shove -- he always threw himself in danger and (literally) gave his all in battle (when he blasts himself out of his suit).
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Because I'm too damn proud for my own good. [Wink]

Well, partly. I mainly chose it because I was doing a lot of tatting at the time. (Tatting is a kind of lace that's usually worked in rounds. It looks kind of like a spider web.)

Good thread idea, Portfolio Boy.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
My name's Dean Lee, and I'm a big Legion fan, so deanlegion just works.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
I gave a more expansive answer on the avatar thread but Varalent was the name I gave to a super hero I invented when I was a kid. He could vary the size of anything so I combined "vary" with "valiant" and somehow ended up with Varalent.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
That's a great story, Portfolio - I hope you find it funny now that it's in the past! Must have stung some at the time, of course.

I answered this also in the avatar thread. FC was a real life cat. Of course, she deserved her own comic, but I can't draw or write, so she'll have to be immortalized as an MB poster. And where better than here?

It's interesting that a few of you mentioned fear of flaming as a reason for not participating. Dogmatic criticism and flaming make me terribly angry and frightfully sad, I hope we never put up with any of that here. It doesn't get you anywhere and it's really hurtful for most people. And, as has been pointed out, it kills groups.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jinx
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jinx           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Varalent:
Varalent.

*puuuurrrrrrrr*! [Love]

--------------------
*meow*

From: Where EDE hangs his nelly li'l Green Arrow Cap! | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Hi Jinx!

*scratch*
*scratch*

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
I just found this thread, and thinks it deserves a healthy BUMP to any new posters who haven't seen it yet! [Bump]

I'll add my story about my LW 'handle', it's probably not what one would expect. About four or five years ago, I came upon a startling realization while I was reading through my 80s New Mutants run: they never had a brown-haired member of the team (at least during Claremont's reign). There were about four blondes, even a red-head, but no brown-haired person like myself! So what does a young buck do when he finds such a fault? Why, he makes his own character that's dangerously close to a self-insertion. So I actually started a fan-fic, getting about five-hundred pages into it actually, about a boy with precognition powers (which would eventually expand into casting time fields that could slow people down to being frozen in stasis, or speed up the area around someone to grant super-speed qualities) who found his way into the New Mutants circa NM #45. His code name, aptly enough for his precognition, was Future. My story was basically about his acceptance, and my plans were to rewrite all of the New Mutant/X-Force/X-Men stories from his perspective to add some new insight, as he eventually went on to join the X-Men (at the same time Cannonball did) due to his tenure and expanding time powers. Obviously, it was a large task and I never got very far after I did a little growing up and realized copyrights would never let me actually publish this (and money is about the only incentive to finish such a chore). I'm still fond of the character and daydream of 'what-ifs' if he actually existed in the canon all the time.

Anyway, I was lurking on the old X-Fan message boards and decided to register. I used, aptly enough, the name Future. I continued to lurk and still to this day have never posted. Sure enough, the next time I came across a comic-related message board, I decided to revive the username Future. Mostly as a nod to myself and to continue my ever mental play of being the character, thrilling to the adventures and growing up alongside some of my favorite teens (outside the Legion)!

As Pov said above, names certainly do take a life of their own. I can't read the word 'future' in a book or hear it without just thinking back to here on Legion World.

Alright, who's next?

Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
I read the "Who's Who in the LSH" series from 1988, a decade after it came out, and found that its first issue described Dawnstar's two younger brothers, Greybird and Greatfire.

Only two paragraphs about them, but the names struck me as being quite kewl, and they related to my favorite Legion character. I remembered them when I signed up for or used several comics message venues that year -- including the DCMBs and rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh.

Others had wanted to elaborate on Dawnstar's family in fan fiction and art, then and later, and my being around spurred several talented people to be so kind as to depict "me" and "my brother."

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.