Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Oh Yeah, That Forum: The Titans » An EDE Retro Review: Silver Age Titans Archives and Showcase! (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: An EDE Retro Review: Silver Age Titans Archives and Showcase!
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
70s Teen Titans!!! One review is NOT enough.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
Davey nearly had Arrowette's (or Miss Arrowette's, depending on how you look at it) origin!
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eric Davies Esther:

Agreed! Especially around the time where Sharon Tracy witnesses a man being transformed into a bug-eyed alien - that was Nick Cardy at his ultimate zenith IMHO And the resultant "supernatural" themes that followed were the bee's knees, too, daddy-o! [Yes] [Smile]
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Well, I was actually referring to the mid-70s revival of TT, but those early-70s issues before their cancellation were pretty interesting!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
I think, dude, if the line-up from TEEN TITANS 50-52 had been retained then adding a few more heroes to the mix, DC could have had a possible 20th century version of the Legion - but alas, Alice, it didnt happen...

Just think what could have been...Jim Shooter could have been coaxed back to DC (yeah, right...), the Roll Call could have lived again - a groovy bunch of kids, being alternated and interacting with each other - where was Mr. Jupiter when you needed him?

From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glen Cadigan
Semi-Pro

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glen Cadigan   Email Glen Cadigan         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
It's also the last issue in The Silver Age Teen Titans, Volume 1!

Which means I'm going to have to start looking for something else to review...

The issue after the Ant is the one where Beast Boy tries to join the group, too. If only there was a Volume 2...

--------------------
Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/GlenCadigan

or check out my website at http://www.glencadigan.com

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eric Davies Esther:

That may depend on whether I can find any more of them. And if I have to pay $11 an issue for them...

I'm kind of considering picking up the New Teen Titans Archives. I've actually only read scattered issues of that (and not for twenty years) so it might be fun.

I'm also strongly considering the Doom Patrol Archives, now.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
one thing that always cracked me up about these old issues is that wonder girl was so much more powerful than the others.

the boys would eb fighting bad guys one on one but wondy could fly and throw cars at people.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Kid Flash had a few manuevers that enabled him to put the literal "spin" on the crooks.
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

The 70s Titans was chock-full of powerless characters who relied soley on gadgets or their own natural prowess... Mal, Karen, Duela, Robin, Bat-Girl, Golden Eagle, Gnarrk, Speedy... I always kind-of liked that.

--------------------

legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Actually, LLASH, i kind of figured if they made a movie about the 70's Teen Titans, Jay (of Jay/Silent Bob fame) would make a terrific Charley Parker/Golden Eagle IMHO [Big Grin] [Yes]

[ October 02, 2005, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: legionadventureman ]

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
EDE RETRO REVIEW: Teen Titans #5

THE PLOT

So, this issue begins with the Titans checking their mail. They've got a letter from Speedy, who says how much he enjoyed working with them on the Olympics case (detailed in the previous EDE Retro Review in this thread). That's a little odd, considering that case supposedy took place two years previously, but I guess Speedy was a little too busy getting high and stuff to notice the passage of time.

Anyway, the actual letter that motivates the plot is from one of Robin's friends, Dr. Paul Turner, who runs Camp Lacklock, a facility for juvenile delinquents in the mountains. The Titans head there to find out what sort of problem he is having, and are surprised to find that Camp Lacklock lacks locks, or walls or anything, and that Dr. Turner's methods involve trusting the kids not to leave. And forcing them all to read Deliverance, I'd wager. That would certainly be enough to keep me from wandering out in the mountains by myself.

So Dr. Turner is worried because he thinks one of his best graduates, Eddie Whit, may have returned to a life of crime as the costumed supervillain the Ant, who has fantastic strength and agility. Turner asks the Titans to investigate, because he's afraid that people will think his camp is too soft if one of his graduates goes bad. So the Titans track down Eddie, who it turns out is being blackmailed into being the Ant to protect his kid brother. So the Titans have to help him outwit the criminal caterers who are actually the masterminds behind the Ant!

CATTIEST REMARK OF THE ISSUE DEPT.

After Aqualad insults her new hairdo, Wondy says of Speedy: "He's cute-- cuter than any of you characters!"

THE CLEVER PRODUCT PLACEMENT DEPT.

Kid Flash reads a Metamorpho comic at the beginning of the issue!

THE TITAN TECHNOLOGY DEPT.

Kid Flash tails the criminals and then contacts his buds by "Teen Radio"!

THE "WE'RE TRYING REALLY HARD TO MAKE AQUALAD USEFUL!" DEPT.

The crooks, having been lured to Camp Lacklock, flee from the Titans. But instead of, say, returning their cars... they hop in a rowboat!

THE OVERUSED JOKE DEPT.

Surely they could come up ant-references besides picnics!

SUMMARY

I liked the Ant a lot, and the basic story was pretty good, though there were a few major unexplained plot points. Like how exactly Eddie and his brother co-ordinated stealing the money from the crooks, and how exactly the crooks ended up at Camp Lacklock. But, other than that, it wasn't bad.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
Again with the hair!
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
"CATTIEST REMARK OF THE ISSUE DEPT.
After Aqualad insults her new hairdo, "

i think this can double as the gay titan alert.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Is it any wonder Donna changed her look after the amount of punishment her pony-tail took both physically - and verbally? [LOL]
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.