Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Oh Yeah, That Forum: The Titans » The Titans, The Legion, and you. (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Titans, The Legion, and you.
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leap Year Lord           Edit/Delete Post     
Click for fullsize image

[ November 20, 2011, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: Thriftshop Debutante ]

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, isn't it gorgeous? That cover just slew me, I fell in love with it.
From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I loved the borders DC and Marvel used to do in those days, particularly with the characters lined up on the left.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

I love to read this stuff, keep it coming!
Yk
between boots

Ok.

The first Legion comic I remember reading was the first appearence of the Hunter where he basically worked his way through a comic book version of "The Most Dangerous Game". I loved it and I wanted more but my friend only had that one Adventure comic in his collection. Something about it just fascinated me. Not long afterward I got the issue where Ferro Lad joined the and totally fell in love with the Legion.
What was that '66 or '67? Something like that.

My dad was military and we lived in the Philippines back then and sometimes I could find older comics off base but I depended on my weekly dose of surreality to keep me sane. Heck, I got a dollar a week for my allowance and I could buy 8 comic books every week.(no taxes on base) It was a wonderful time to be a little boy.

I was something of a Superboy fan at the time and the idea that even he could find a club where he could enjoy the company of his equals just thrilled me to no end. I admired Supes (who didn't back in those days?) but the Legion was full of people that were mostly just like me.

I tell you it was heavenly and I've been a Legion fan ever since...over thirty years now.

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I remember buying my first Legion book off the racks, SUPERBOY AND THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #213. Quite a nice story to start off with. It showcased in an exciting way a lot of characters and it got me hooked. Unfortunately, as a kid, I didn't exactly do a great job back then of buying each issue.

For the Legion, that started with #288 or so. The beginning of Levitz/Giffen era. I haven't missed an issue since and have been dilligently collecting the everything Legion (including those missing back issues) ever since.

As for Titans - I had bought (apparently, although I don't remember doing so) TEEN TITANS #52.

But, I didn't get hooked until I saw the ad for NEW TEEN TITANS vol.1 #1. Using that Ad as a reference, my friends and I started to play like we were Titans. Back then I thought the green guy was Raven. That the black robot guy was Starfire. That the alien chick was Changeling. And not knowing what it meant, that the hooded girl was Cyborg.

I was Raven until the issue actually came out and I realized my mistake. Perez's pretty pictures mesmerized me and for a time the Titans were the series for me. I remember when #4 came out. I would set up selected pages on my dresser as a poster to look at before I went to sleep at night. Most of my original issues are marked up from me tracing over Perez.

But unlike the Legion, the Titans were tied to Perez for me. Without him my interest waned. I've collected each issue sure. But certainly not with the passion I've had with the Legion.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

I remember a LOT of excitement going on for the Perez/Wolfman relaunch of the Titans. I'd read the preview that was published prior to the comic and waited (more or less) breathlessly for the book to come out.
I didn't really like the fact that Kid Flash was being suckered by some raven haired temptress (pun intended [Big Grin] ) and fully expected to see her turn into a major villian for the Titans within just a few issues. Ok, so I was wrong but still those were great stories.

Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Yes, that ad! Hell, I didn't even see it back then. Even TODAY I stop and look at the full-page ad when I run across it in various DC titles.
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
Wonder Bump! [Wonder Girl - Cassie Sandsmark]
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Found this thread today while browsing through the back pages of the Titans forum.

When I first got into superhero comics in the early 90s, I felt that both Titans and Legion seemed to be going off the rails (IIRC, it was the second phase of Titans Hunt for the former and Quiet Darkness/SW6 for the latter) so I didn't pay much attention to them.

I might never have become a major fan of the Wolfman/Perez era if not for two trades: one was The Judas Contract, the other was DC/Marvel Crossover Classics, which included Uncanny X-Men/New Teen Titans. To this day, I regard UXM/NTT as a high-water mark of the entire history of superhero comics. Judas Contract was good, too, but I like the issues that closely preceded it (which I bought as cheap back issues) better -- I think NTT hit its peak in between the first space opera and the Raven Berserk issue. The pre-NTT Titans never held much interest for me, despite those great Nick Cardy covers.

Meanwhile, I was buying scattered back issues of the Legion, but unlike the Titans with Wolfman/Perez, there seemed at the time to be no definitive era. Levitz/Giffen just didn't do it for me, largely because I found Giffen's art disturbingly cold and sexless even BEFORE he got all weird.

In the late 90s, I went on a hiatus from comics that lasted until the mid 00s.

When I came back, it was another case of poor timing with the Titans. I had missed most of the cream of the Johns/McKone Teen Titans, and McKone had one foot out the door, and the Neverending Crisis Era was beginning to pollute the entire DCU. With the Legion, I jumped into the Threeboot with #7 and hung all the way into the first few issues of Shooter's less-than-stellar return. I've since sold almost all those Threeboot issues, but I've kept the first four Johns Teen Titans trades.

Meanwhile, I got majorly into collecting Legion back issues and archive hardcovers, and have come to regard the first 32 issues of the Baxter run -- LSH vs. LSV through Universo Project -- as the definitive era.

At this point, I'm still cautiously optimistic about Levitz's return to the Legion, while not bothering at all with the Titans. At this point, I think the Titans need to go away for a few years and then relaunch with a mix of old Titans and brand-new Titans. My top-choice creative team would be Kathryn Immonen and Amanda Conner.

[ June 18, 2010, 06:04 AM: Message edited by: Fanfic Lass ]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
It's interesting how the Titans occasionally go through fits and starts of adding 'legacy' characters.

They started out as sidekicks / legacies with Robin, Kid Flash, Wonder Girl and Speedy, and in later years picked up some non-sidekicks / original characters like Lilith and Starfire and Cyborg, but recent years have seen them go back to the well, with Molecule, Miss Martian, Zachary Zatara, Offspring, Bombshell, CM3, etc.

About the only 'core' Justice League member who doesn't have a legacy as a Titan is the Black Canary, while even Aquaman has at least five different legacy characters (Aqualad/Garth/Tempest, Aquagirl/Tula, the new Aquagirl, Lagoon Boy, the new Aqualad) and, before Black Canary gets a 'legacy,' the Teen Titans have a *Deathstroke* legacy, in Rose Wilson!

The Legion has benefitted from a dearth of legacies, opening up a lot of uniqueness. (Thunder and XS, being exceptions, but not terribly egregious ones, and accompanied by Gear, Gates, Shikari, Kid Quantum II, Monstress, Dragonmage and other non-legacies, to make it more palatable.)

It might be interesting to see a legacy of a legacy, at some point, such as the presence of Tamaranians (or other Vegans) in the UP, or a suggestion that ancient relics of Trigon's power still remain, sealed away on Sorcerer's World.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Click for fullsize image

The story in this issue was my first exposure to the Teen Titans. It was reprinted in Super Team Family #1.

Nick Cardy art spoiled me. The next time I saw the Titans was during the Wolfman/Perez run. That art made me expect really great things as well. It was shortly before Issue #50, and I quickly went and started getting back issues that I could afford at the time.

Eventually finishing their run through 50 cent boxes over the years...their still some of my favorite comics. From issue #1 of theior intro in the early 80's up until the end of the first Baxter story.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Click for fullsize image
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^ That image is *GREAT* TD!!! LOVE IT! And can't believe I've never seen it before.

Wonderful inspiration for future Legion Trivia Thread questions too -

"Which Legionnaires did Jericho and Lilith play volleyball against once?"

[Smile]

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

It's from this:

Click for fullsize image

So what about the Titans, the Legion, and Blacula?

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.