Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Calling all LMBers! (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Calling all LMBers!
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I suspect that most of us here don't know who is a "real person" and who is a fictional character on this board - not to mention the history from previous message board encounters. I certainly wasn't aware of this.

Perhaps a solution other than boycotting threads, forums or Legion World itself would be to remedy the situation. (1) Substitute another character, as has been done (retroactively?) and (2) continue the story along remedial lines.

This also applies to what Harbinger has also raised about the "increasingly misogynist" tone of the tag-team stories in the Critics thread.

A third and more drastic step would be to delete the posts from the point at which the story deviates from what is acceptable - or delete the entire thread. I wouldn't advocate this latter option, and certainly not without discussion among participants and LW general membership.

I'm all for fixing what's broken, not tipping it into the trash bin and walking away.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
FC, I'm all for fixing it to, and continuing the story along in the fun way that it started. I think going back to change some of the more "rough" parts of the story could be a good idea, and continuing on from there.

Chuck, I was going to PM you, but I've decided to just post this right here. As I've said, you are one of my favorite posters, and I always enjoy reading your posts, especially on the tag threads. I also enjoy the way we go back and forth and have fun with each other's ideas. You were the first person I really talked to on Legion World that I didn't know before, and I've enjoyed talking to you normally (as Abin) and in character in SP. So, I really hope you keep posting on all the tag threads, and keep having fun with them. I love reading your posts, and I would really be sad if you stopped posting on them. Please stay [Smile]

I originally recognized this as an issue a week ago after Grey PMed me, and I agreed with him, which is why I retroactively changed Carrina's name to disclude her from the story. The character now existing isn't her anymore, but I can see if people are still uncomfortable with her being in the story. In that case, I say let's just get her out in the next post and keep going. The whole idea of the "Ongoing Tag Thread" was to get it up into the same page numbers as SHAKES, so that LMBP continuity could become as convulted as the Legion or X-Men. I'd hate to stop now when it's only on page seven. And I'd really hate if Chuck stopped posting on it.

I'm having more fun online right now than I've had in awhile, and I want it to continue. So if anyone ever feels uncomfortable about anything, please let me know, I'd make any sacrifice to continue the fun! And I don't like any misogynist tones either, so I'll keep an eye on that [Smile]

One last time: please keep posting, we can fix the threads and Sweet Ass Sweet, Long live Legion World!!!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Oh, and do you want to start finishing the Ms. Grundy thread, or let it run a bit more?

I think I might start finishing the Dev-Em return thread, it seems like it hasn't been getting too much traffic lately...

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Ranger
Private Dick

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Space Ranger   Email Space Ranger         Edit/Delete Post     
Des, (and Nancy)

It is the name that is the real problem. This storyline started with a post that virtually acknowleged that the character was a real person, and when you combine that with the psuedo-historical notes in the LMBP Continuity thread it becomes obvious that the entire thing was way over the top.

Since this storyline started, I have never used her name. The closest I came was using her Psuedonym's initials. And even that made me uncomfortable. Any name that can be tied to that person is out of the question as far as I'm concerned.

The over the top stuff we write is fine as long as it's all atributable to entirely fictional characters or doesn't become so offensive that we drive away our friends.

But, the issue of using a tag-team thread as a weapon in a personal vendetta against a real person is one that just totally disgusts me and I'm ashamed that it took me so long to stand up and speak out against it.

In my own defense, I tried in the thread to change the character's name to an acronym that would have been so anonymous that it could fit anyone. I even posted that intention in the thread, yet in very next post her Psuedonym, (which it has been very clearly stated by posts in that thread and in the continuity thread applies to her and no one else) reappears.

I love posting here on legion World. I enjoy the stories and the interaction with people whom I would otherwise never have the opportunity to meet and get to know. I consider you and many other people here to be my friends.

But sometimes a stand must be taken. I stand by what I said. Until I see that the changes necessary to correct this situation have been made I choose not to participate.

Chuck

P.S. I spoke with Vee yesterday about the Mrs. Grundy Thread and I came away with the impression that he had a very definite idea that he was going to use. So I am waiting for his next post before continuing on that story.

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Just as soon as the Check Clears!)

From: The Back Office in Abin's Fixit Shop. | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Chuck, I've ended that portion of the story on the Ongoing Tag Thread, and started the possibility of another one (although where it goes is anyone's guess, thats what the Ongoing thread is there for). The whole Carrina thing is over and done with as far as I'm concerned now. Although Abin Quanck is still Green Lantern of Legion World [Smile] .

All of my previous posts have been edited to get rid of Carrina's name, and I think that's good for now, but I could go back and place a new name totally if necessary. But that storyline is over, I'm ready for the next whacky one. I'm getting pretty fond of Petty Officer Marvin of the Brood, and hope for him to be the LMBP's next shining star.

Hope to see you start posting on the thread again! I'd rather just forget the whole Carrina thing and have fun with the thread [Smile] !

Space Ranger
Private Dick

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Space Ranger   Email Space Ranger         Edit/Delete Post     
See my previous post.

Chuck

--------------------

From: The Back Office in Abin's Fixit Shop. | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghost of Numf El
Waste ....... Of Space!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost of Numf El           Edit/Delete Post     
Chuck - hopefully things will resolve themselves to a position where you are happy once more to join in the tag team posting.
Being relatively new around here, I have no idea who, or what you are talking about.
However, I appreciate your stand, and hope that we can get you back in the game again soonest. Standing up as a Defender of Truth and Justice for ALL. I salute you.
Until such time your input will be sorely missed.

--------------------
Hic!

From: Scatland | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Ranger
Private Dick

Thanks Numf.

--------------------

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I deleted my posts, which is just the quickest fix for my own entries, but I don't believe I have the authority to remove the others.

I see Greybird added a warning to page 1 re: content of the tag-team thread, but perhaps it should be put at the start of each page for new people who may just hop in at the latest page to start reading. I certainly don't read long threads right from the start.

Chuck, I really don't believe most of us participating here considered this some personal vendetta for an old flame war. If this is what it was/is, that information should have been communicated to all those contributing to the thread. Not everybody knew the history, not everybody read the LMB Continuity thread. It may have been evident to you, but I sincerely question whether it was to others. This is no excuse not to remediate the situation now that it is in the open - but it may explain why the story continued past the point of good behaviour.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
I didn't understand it really until someone explained it to me the other night too.

It's a bit creepy imo that someone put this character into the plot for their own purposes and could allow other posters - in all innocence- to add to this ongoing personal battle. yichh!

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Chuck, I just PMed you, I didn't realize everyone was still posting here.

Guys, I'm glad that we talked about this issue before it became a big deal. I just went back and edited all of my posts, but now I'm thinking that maybe I should just delete them.

Oh, and it was never anything personnal against Carrina Winters, at least for me. I never had the chance to actually talk to her, I just read some of the posts she made during that period as a lurker. I don't think anyone has any hard feelings for her, it was all done toungue in cheek, although I guess it became pretty inappropriate.

My thanks to Chuck (and Greybird) for bringing this to my attention before months went by and I realized how bad these posts were.

Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
They don't need deleting wholesale Cobie, just edit them accordingly.

There is some absolute moments of genius that shouldn't be withdrawn, just use common sense sweetheart.

we'll be back on track before you know it! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Ranger
Private Dick

quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Well, I deleted my posts, which is just the quickest fix for my own entries, but I don't believe I have the authority to remove the others.

I see Greybird added a warning to page 1 re: content of the tag-team thread, but perhaps it should be put at the start of each page for new people who may just hop in at the latest page to start reading. I certainly don't read long threads right from the start.

Chuck, I really don't believe most of us participating here considered this some personal vendetta for an old flame war. If this is what it was/is, that information should have been communicated to all those contributing to the thread. Not everybody knew the history, not everybody read the LMB Continuity thread. It may have been evident to you, but I sincerely question whether it was to others. This is no excuse not to remediate the situation now that it is in the open - but it may explain why the story continued past the point of good behaviour.

Nancy,

I don't know that it was a personal vendetta. But, when you read the original post, and the stuff in the continuity thread, it definitely comes across that way.

As I told Des, in the PM he mentioned, the only person I hold at fault here is myself. I read that section of the continuity thread before the original post bringing her into this storyline went up. I should have taken these stands then. Everything would have been much easier to resolve. Instead I tried to guide the story away from that area, which was the absolute wrong thing to do. An old fogie like me who has made similar mistakes in the past should have known better.

Chuck

[ November 02, 2003, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Space Ranger ]

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

After talking to various people about this, I can only say now that the next thing to do is fix the problem and then move past it. I'm taking steps to get the whole thing cleared up, and then I look forward to reading everyone's posts in the future [Smile] .

I guess I can say one more thing actually, that I'm very proud to be a part of this board right now, seeing as everyonoe here has been polite, understanding and more than willing to make sure everyone is comfortable. Thank you everyone [Smile] .

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Guys, just for an update:

I've talked to Lardlad about the whole thing, and he's agrees with what we all think. However, since he hasn't been able to sign on and has continuing problems with his computer connecting to this website (see the thread in the Mission Monitor Board section), he can't actually change his posts. I've emailed Greybird about this, letting him know that Lard Lad has given him the OK to go into the thread and take out any mention of Carrina's Winters name and delete or change it (I've given him the details).

This is a nice relief, so hopefully once Grey reads the PM I sent him and gets a moment of free time, he can fix the thread up and we can leave the whole thing behind us.

Thanks Lardy for understanding, and thank you to all of you (especially Chuck) for being so understanding. I appreciate where everyone was coming from on this, and I'm glad we were able to come together quickly and iron out any possible problems with the threads. Thanks guys [Smile] .

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.