Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Loser's Gallery (Page 12)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  36  37  38   
Author Topic: Loser's Gallery
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Lou, I have to say the more i see of your colouring work the less difference i can tell between you and "professional" colourists. (if that makes sense)

I really would like to see how your work looks on an actual page of a comic.

Actually I would love to see if your work could improve that old hero machine avitar I made of my self. (hint hint) [Big Grin]

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loser Lad
Stressed

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loser Lad   Email Loser Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Makes sense to me (though I'm not quite sure I agree...). Thanks Darden. [Smile]

I haven't really done any sequential stuff except for that Matter Eater Lad and Karate Kid page I posted earlier in this thread, but that was a long time and a lot of practice ago. Personally I don't really think that page was that well done, but I was just starting out then. If I can find some decent, hi res page scans out there that interest me I'll try coloring them just to see what happens.

As far as the Hero Machine Faraway goes, I'd be happy to give it a shot. I'm assuming there's still a version of that posted on the Yahoo Group or Outpost somewhere.

--------------------
The LMB Archives

From: The Loser Cave | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Love, love, love the Loser Lad/Viviane pic!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loser Lad
Stressed

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loser Lad   Email Loser Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I do too. [Wink] It was Viv's idea to manipulate Freeky's Dreamer & Star Boy pic into Viv and Lou, and I'm really glad she suggested it!

--------------------
The LMB Archives

From: The Loser Cave | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loser Lad
Stressed

I've got a couple of new ones to post. First is a Cockrum/Grell era Shrinking Violet drawn by Shawn Van Briesen:

Click for fullsize image

--------------------
The LMB Archives

Loser Lad
Stressed

Finally got around to coloring one of my favorite Legion-related sketches, Matter Eater Lad by Ty Templeton...

Click for fullsize image

--------------------
The LMB Archives

Loser Lad
Stressed

One more Legion-related one. I've wanted to color this Jeff Moy Triad pic for a long time, and finally got around to it...

Click for fullsize image

--------------------
The LMB Archives

Loser Lad
Stressed

The next two are pics I started coloring over the summer and just recently finished off. Since I started doing these I've totally changed my techniques, so it was a little weird going back to these after so long.

Actually, I guess Supergirl's Legion-related too (although this is based on the Post-Crisis costume design), so I guess here's one more Legion-related one, drawn by Al Rio...

Click for fullsize image

--------------------
The LMB Archives

Loser Lad
Stressed

Last one for now. This was another one I started over the summer and came back to finish just recently. I've always had a hard time with backgrounds, and this one has a fairly complicated background. That's probably why I stopped working on it in the first place. Didn't turn out too badly, but I'm still not completely happy with it. Anyhow, here's Jade by Darryl Banks.

Click for fullsize image

--------------------
The LMB Archives

Tempest
Enchantress

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tempest   Author's Homepage   Email Tempest         Edit/Delete Post     
They're great.

I really like the Supergirl and Jade ones, they are pretty awesome.

quote:
Originally posted by Loser Lad:
I do too. [Wink] It was Viv's idea to manipulate Freeky's Dreamer & Star Boy pic into Viv and Lou, and I'm really glad she suggested it!

I just like things that include me [Big Grin] , I'm vain that way. [LOL]

--------------------
And to show I bear no ill will, I, too, shall bestow a gift...

From: The Mansion | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Lou,

One thing I have noticed is that I never see the best parts of your work in the thumbnails you post, even when I open them up in another window they still look better when I enlarge them to maximum size.

I particularly liked the highlights on Vi’s black leggings in the Van Briessen piece. When you look at these it really looks as if these are material, almost jean like stretched over her thighs.

The Supergirl is another one I like with the creases in the costume picked out well, the blue is possibly a little dark but as a one off works for me. I prefer the lighter blue for an ongoing comic.

Jade I think I have seen before and I don’t see what it is you are unhappy with. Unless it is the face and hair that is. I think the greens together with that green back ground may not work to the best effect.

PS
That Faraway Avatar should be at the outpost, but if you get stuck I should be able to e mail you the orginal.

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loser Lad
Stressed

Well, I've got to give credit for a lot of the details to the artists themselves. I usually just follow along with what's drawn, and try to embellish as best I can. Sometimes it works well, and other times (I'm thinking of the Moy Wondergirl I posted a couple of weeks ago as an example) it doesn't. On that one I actually had to erase a bit of the shading that Moy drew in because it was just too dark when colored. I still think it doesn't look right even with that. As a black and white pencil sketch the shading works fine, but colored I think it was just a bit too heavy.

As far as Supergirl's blue goes, in the original sketch Rio used some rather harsh shadows, so a lighter blue didn't really look quite right. Created too much contrast between what were intended to be the lighter parts of the costume and the darker shadowy parts. Personally I prefer the darer blue myself, but agree that it doesn't fit with what was esablished for the character.

On the Jade piece I'm not quite happy with the entire background, but I think a big part of that is just the large blocks of green. I tried to add depth to them to make them look more three dimensional, but there's only so much you can do with solid blobs of color like that. I suppose they didn't have to be all green, but it seemed to fit the character best, as if they were one of her energy constructs or something. Also, osme of the buildings in the background don't quite look right to me. Too flat, and just kind of blah. I think the only part of the background I'm really happy with is the little tree at the bottom right.

I'm probably being too critical and nitpicky about this stuff, but it's amazing how different some of these these things look with you look back on them with fresh eyes. You tend to find a lot of stuff that you overlooked while working on them the first time through.

Anyhow, Viv and Darden, thanks for your comments. Darden, I found the Heromachine pic posted on the Outpost, so I'll mess with it sometime soon. And for the record I like things that include Viv too... [Wink]

--------------------
The LMB Archives

Whitelighter
Mistress of Micros

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whitelighter   Author's Homepage   Email Whitelighter         Edit/Delete Post     
I always loved that set by Shawn! That Triad looks great too [Smile]

--------------------
Lady Kat - The White Raven

From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loser Lad
Stressed

Are there more Van Briesen Legion sketches out there on the 'net? I've look but didn't find any. If you know where to find more drop me a link. I'd love to see them!

--------------------
The LMB Archives

Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Loser Lad:
Are there more Van Briesen Legion sketches out there on the 'net? I've look but didn't find any. If you know where to find more drop me a link. I'd love to see them!

I've got a few, but I can't be bothered to look them out right now [Smile]

Check the Who IS this Legion character thread in Spaceopoly. I think I used a couple there.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  36  37  38   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.