Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion Signs (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Legion Signs
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
I was just rereading some of The Best of the Legion Outpost and was intrigued by an article written by Len Rosenberg, in which he speculated on the astrological signs of the Legion membership of the day. He didn't make a definite call on some of these (for instance he speculated that Matter Eater Lad was either Cancer or Capricorn) but I summed up his comments thusly:

Aquarius: Wildfire, Brainiac 5

Pisces: Duo Damsel, Dream Girl

Aries: Ferro Lad, Timber Wolf

Taurus; Cosmic Boy, Tyroc

Gemini: Chemical King, Ultra Boy

Cancer: Bouncing Boy, Matter Eater Lad

Leo: Sun Boy, Princess Projectra

Virgo: Saturn Girl, Dawnstar

Libra: Karate Kid, Phantom Girl

Scorpio: Invisible Kid I, Element Lad, Star Boy, Shadow Lass

Sagittarius: Colossal Boy, Lightning Lad, Light Lass

Capricorn: Chameleon Boy, Shrinking Violet, Mon-El

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Interesting idea. I wonder what Rosenberg based his choices on. In other words, what traits does an Aquarius supposedly have the Drake and Brainy share?

I feel obliged to point out, though, that our understanding of astrology is based on how the stars appear in the sky from earth's perspective. Inhabitants of a planet such as Colu or Winath or Daxam would observe a different configuration of stars and thus have different astrological signs, assuming they used them at all.

Back in the '70s, DC published a calendar containing the birthdays of all of their major characters, including the Legionnaires. I think those dates are floating around this site somewhere; if not, I'll see if I can find my calendar and re-post them.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
The birthdays published back in the 70s can be found here from the Encyclopedia Galactica board!
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks, Future.

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
It's worth noting that the world of astrology experienced a major shake up recently when a astronomers pointed out that the traditionally accepted astrological charts didn't take into account one of the major constellations and changes in the Earth's rotation. A new chart has been introduced that includes the sign of Ophiucus. This change means that the majority of us have lived out our lives believing that we were the "wrong" sign. I personally shifted from Gemini to Taurus.

Some traditionalists are claiming that astrologers took all of this into account years ago, and the traditional signs are based more on seasonal changes than constellations.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/01/13/horoscope-hang-up-earth-rotation-changes-zodiac-signs/

[ February 12, 2011, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Wow, I would shift from Libra to Virgo. Personally, I like being "the balance" better than being "the virgin." [Big Grin]

--------------------

Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
I always felt comfortable as Gemini, but I'm embracing Taurus now. Lots of nice traits that I'm okay with.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

I think I have about equal personality traits of Virgo and Libra, which may result from my birthday being so close to the (traditional) cusp. Or maybe I don't trust myself (Virgo) and can't make up my mind (Libra). [Confused]

--------------------

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I got bumped from Cancer to Gemini. Huge, huge upgrade, IMO.

'Course, I don't believe in that sort of stuff, but still, I'd rather have twins than crabs. [Smile]

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

quote:
Originally posted by He Who LSHes:

I feel obliged to point out, though, that our understanding of astrology is based on how the stars appear in the sky from earth's perspective. Inhabitants of a planet such as Colu or Winath or Daxam would observe a different configuration of stars and thus have different astrological signs, assuming they used them at all.

Yes, he pointed that out in his article. If it weren't 9 pages long, I'd transcribe it and post it here.

Here's part of what he says about Wildfire:

Aquarius is unconventional, likes to break rules and identifies with the masses and the underdog. Astrophysics and space flight are also Aquarian interests.
Unpredictable, rebellious, tactless: all qualities of a negative Aquarian, and of Mr. Burroughs. The sign rules the lower legs—from which Wildfire often chooses to to project his energy. The stars are an Aquarian symbol, distant suns that symbolize hope and friendship, but are not as close or as warm as Leonine Sol. Of course, there's a star on Drake's chest—a star with long legs at that (another Aquarian trait!). A little-used aspect of Drake is his ability to "power" machinery, an example of the Aquarian love of gadgets and inventions.

--------------------

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Brainiac 5:

Brainiac 5 is a repressed Aquarius, like many inventors. He's tops in the intellect department, but has trouble handling his emotions. He saves most of his passion for his formulae and the driving desire to undo the evil of his ancestor. Now that he has destroyed Brainiac/Stargrave, he may find his sex drive rearing its ugly little head again. . . . A fixed air sign, he's impossible to influence unless you impress him with your logic; otherwise, he's very stubborn and old-fashioned in many ways, although basically progressive. Even his force-field belt is an example of "fixed air" —immovable, yet gas-permeable. . . .

--------------------

jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

quote:
Originally posted by He Who LSHes:
Interesting idea. I wonder what Rosenberg based his choices on. In other words, what traits does an Aquarius supposedly have the Drake and Brainy share?
Back in the '70s, DC published a calendar containing the birthdays of all of their major characters, including the Legionnaires. I think those dates are floating around this site somewhere; if not, I'll see if I can find my calendar and re-post them.

Rosenberg mentioned the calendar in his article and scoffed at it. He based his speculations on a lot of things, including personality traits, interests, costume designs and colors, skills, interpersonal relationships, symbolic extrapolations of powers, etc.

--------------------

jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

I went from Scorpio to Libra in the new calendar. Yuck. My sister is/was a Libra. Now she's a Virgo I guess.

--------------------

jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

The new calendar doesn't make sense to me. Pisces is 38 days, but Cancer is only 21? Ophiuchus is only 18 days and Virgo is 44 days?
Scorpio is now only SEVEN DAYS????!!!!

I think I'll stick with the old math.

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
I went from Scorpio to Libra in the new calendar. Yuck. My sister is/was a Libra. Now she's a Virgo I guess.

Hey! Libra's rule! [Razz]

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.