Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » ADVENTURE COMICS #1 (#504) SPOILERS! (Page 9)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: ADVENTURE COMICS #1 (#504) SPOILERS!
Korbal
The Lightning World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korbal   Email Korbal         Edit/Delete Post     
Anyone else connect the red jewel that Luthor has on the cover to the red glowing pendant Simon Valentine wears? Possible Anagram--Mon-El is Native-- a possible Lar Gand/Luthor hybrid clone?Hmm...

--------------------
"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63

Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Finally got this issue, but I'd seen so many previews that it felt like I'd already read it. It did feel pretty much like a set up, but that's okay. Yay Krypto! I'm so glad Krypto doesn't talk anymore, just acts like a dog. Nice feel to the Smallville scenes, but you know that calm can't last. Don't know about this Simon Valentine character....

Thom Kallor, so sad. It just strikes me as ominous; he's entrusted with this big mission and sometimes he's aware of what's going on, but usually it's all muddled in his head.

I actually prefer this sort of treatment of the Legionnaires in 20th/21st century story. Usually they arrive as a group, do their thing and pop back to the future. Here they're all scattered, trying to put together the pieces of whatever mission(s) they had - a test of their abilities, and a bit of a puzzle for the reader to figure out.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:

I *love* that they have an option for the series numbering. Traditionalists have their Adventure # 504 and today's fans of all-new and all-now have a new # 1.

Yes, if you're willing to pay 10 bucks an issue for the Adventure numbering.
[I Dunno]

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
My CBS didn't do that. Both issues were the same price. I wouldn't have paid extra.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
Garth only became really proty in the 5 year gap stories post-LSH 5. We can say that in the revised timeline in the Glorith universe that Garth was really proty based in a large part of the membership of Kid Quantum (because KQ had all the sentience of the Proteans, except for 5 of them plus Kid Q and Proty 1) it makes sense for Garth to have been Proty then since it was a clear revelation happening...and also it was more organic story telling than pre-Gloirth universe...and besides...the idea really started as fan talk...kinda like Jan being gay and Mon-EL really being Eltro Gand. All of which became cannon during the 5year gap, not before.

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I keep hearing about these fabled paradise comic shops that charge the same price for regular and variant covers. WHERE CAN I FIND THESE SHOPS?!? Most of the stores I've been to add another $10-$20 to the price of all their variant covers. [Frown]
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candle:
A new Batman and the Legion of Super-Heroes would be kind cool.

Dick Grayson is Titan and Legion age.
Night Girl, Shady, T Wolf, Tinya and Cham would fit in easily with just a little redesigning, as would Tellus, Starman, ELad and Dreamy.

Maybe they could call it 'Batman and the LSH Espionage Squad'.

AAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!

Please NO!!

Does Batman have to run every freaking thing in the DC universe? Hell, even "Superman X" in the Legion cartoon was essentially a marketing attempt to get Batman in there without using the name.

Gah. Enough already. Save it for Elseworlds, DC.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
I read it a week ago at the start of my vacation, and my impressions were generally positive. And I say that as someone who has NEVER liked the clone Superboy. Ever. But this was intriguing, with his secret interest in Luthor. We may finally get to see a decent take on someone being SuperBOY, not just little Superman or annoying character you wish weren't connected to Superman. The Legion story was...not a story. The error on labeling Legionnaires was unforgivable. The art is promising, even with the big foreheads. It's good to know the Legion has some sort of future. At my more cynical moments, I worry that Johns is just the master of some story-telling ponzi scheme that never resolves anything. At other times, I'm happy his stories build and grow off of each other so well.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by cleome:
quote:
A new Batman and the Legion of Super-Heroes would be kind cool.

AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!

Please NO!! . . .

Gah. Enough already. Save it for Elseworlds, DC.

Sorry to upset you.
[Frown]

Bats has already done a Legion story, during the Lightning Saga, I think.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
I've never been a fan of Superboy. Any version. Ever. I preferred the Legion without him.

But I love Krypto. The dog rocks. So I enjoyed this issue, and I'll stick around for at least a few more.

I actually agree on Superboy, but if they've got to use him, do it well. Any Superboy not stuck in Silver Age sitcomy Leave-it-to-Beaverdom is an improvement.

I've been less a fan of Krypto than of Superboy. Super-powered animals make Silver Age Lex Luthor's escapes from jail on shoes with giant springs seem like good storytelling in comparison.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

A team-up in Brave & The Bold (not the all-ages version) I believe.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
quote:
I've never been a fan of Superboy. Any version. Ever. I preferred the Legion without him.

But I love Krypto. The dog rocks. So I enjoyed this issue, and I'll stick around for at least a few more.

I actually agree on Superboy, but if they've got to use him, do it well. Any Superboy not stuck in Silver Age sitcomy Leave-it-to-Beaverdom is an improvement.

I've been less a fan of Krypto than of Superboy. Super-powered animals make Silver Age Lex Luthor's escapes from jail on shoes with giant springs seem like good storytelling in comparison.

Understood, though I suppose it comes down to how "realistic" one wants their comics to be. There's something about a dog with super-powers which feels right and fun to me, though it's hardly realistic. Angsty super-powered teens are certainly more believable than the Silver Age norm, but most of them bore me to tears.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
quote:

A team-up in Brave & The Bold (not the all-ages version) I believe.
Bats went up against Karate Kid in Justice League #8.

Justice Society #5 had Starman finding Dream Girl in Arkham Asylum, where Doctor Destiny was using Dream Girl's connection to the Dreaming to manifest the Asylum patients nightmares of Batman.

And Action Comics #864 would count.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:

Agreed. I never liked Superclark, because the age and it's themes never really appealed to me. Superconner, on the other hand, feels more like a real person and less like a Happy Days character.

quote:
In the context of the 60s, I didn't mind Krypto. In the modern day, I'd prefer for him to go away.

Certain titles have a whacky-fun or 'out-there' tone, and the presence of Cosmo in Guardians of the Galaxy is a riot, but the presence of Krypto in a comic title that has characters like Prime guest-starring just feels jarring and inappropriate.

In the long run, a super-powered Kryptonian dog with a cape is no more ludicrous than a human-male-shaped Kyptonian with those sorts of powers, running around with his underwear on the outside like that guy that gets kicked out of the frat party for embarassing even the drunken professional ne'er-do-wells.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
. . . but the presence of Krypto in a comic title that has characters like Prime guest-starring just feels jarring and inappropriate.

Actually, I feel it's the other way around, Prime is the one who's jarring and inappropriate, in every way.

Krypto, on the other hand, is a breath of sanity and joy, in a comic industry (and world) gone mad.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.