Legion World
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » LSH cover FACEOFF!!! (Page 87)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 136 pages: 1  2  3  ...  84  85  86  87  88  89  90  ...  134  135  136   
Author Topic: LSH cover FACEOFF!!!
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
They just started out with Vi as the Empress and I thought it was a great change of pace for a character that had been largely ignored in Adventure's beginning.
Zoe tried to take the Eye away from Vi, which I thought was very like her so I don't see that she was originally planned for the focus of the story.
Alot of story came out over the months and I loved it.

The new Empress was terrible, imo, because she was an unredeemable, unsypathetic character who's greatest love was killing, wetworks, style.

Anyway, it's certainly interesting how different people interpret and view, different stories!

I vote for Davis' cover even though I hate that Empress.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by rouge:
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:

(Someone explain to me why they couldn't have Emerald Empress in the reboot again? Was the Emerald Violet story that important?!?)

I think it was more that the reboot Eye was just too darned powerful to be part of a team. The thing was a major source of Mordru's power and a threat to the entire Legion on it's own. Later when it did bond to the Empress, it was expressly depowered as a form of self-punishment or something silly like that.

For what it's worth, I've always thought one of the coolest things about the old school Fatal Five is that each one of them was powerful/dangerous enough to be a threat to the Legion on their own. For the most part the team has been increasingly wussified over the years (especially Validus).
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm picking the reboot one-- it has Lyle on it! Everyone else looks great, too. I can't stand that Empress, either... but the reboot Persuader (mostly very late reboot Persuader) is the only version of the character I ever enjoyed reading about.

About the ADVENTURE cover-- what in space is underneath their feet? Did the LSH upside-down spaceship land in bad '60's carpet factory?

I like the colors, though-- and Ferro Lad, Princess Projectra and Sun Boy.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
I vote for 78, and I was surprised at what tipped the scale for me... the lack of a word balloon. The scene seems somehow more desperate as they head out in silence.

Plus, hey, helmet-less Mano!

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by stuorstew:
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
ROUND (FATAL) 5!

-

VS.

-

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:

About the ADVENTURE cover-- what in space is underneath their feet? Did the LSH upside-down spaceship land in bad '60's carpet factory?

I've always thought that was shadow, but that doesn't really make sense, since the Legionnaires shadows can be seen on top of it.
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I knew this Face-Off was coming and it's as hard as I expected it to be.

LoSH #78 is one of the best cover homages ever IMO (and I also absolutely friggin' love the story inside that issue) so I'm tempted to vote for it for that reason alone.

But Adventure #252(?) is such a classic cover itself and deserves major props for being the original. As well as having an excellent use of colour and cool appearances by Jeckie and Andrew in their Adventure costumes.

But the perspective of LoSH #78 is what tips it in to the win column for me. I love the way the team are rushing toward the viewer slightly more than the overhead look that the Adventure issue has.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Homage or original? Tough choice. The posing and expressions just aren't pulled off well in the original. I'd say I remember the Adventure tale more for what's inside it than the cover and the LSH 78 more for its cover than for the story.

So in a cover faceoff, I'll go with the better cover and LSH 78.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
Me too ... cover of LSH #78 for me as well.
From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
For what it's worth, I've always thought one of the coolest things about the old school Fatal Five is that each one of them was powerful/dangerous enough to be a threat to the Legion on their own. For the most part the team has been increasingly wussified over the years (especially Validus). [/QB]

I'll agree with that whole-heartedly, but there's "threat to the whole Legion" and then there's "threat to dominate entire galaxies".

It would be like if the Time Trapper, Mordru (Lo3W non-withstanding), Darkseid, Starro and the Infinite Man made up the Fatal Five.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
ADVENTURE all the way. It's the original and has go-go checks.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The cover of # 352 has always bothered me. The issue introduces a major team of villains, and yet the cover is as mundane as can be. Instead of showing the Legionnaires squaring off against the F5 (as I imagined for years before I actaully saw the cover), it just shows the Legionnaires running off with pictures of the villains. Meh.

The cover for # 78 is worse. It's the same idea but with more garish artwork. The colors seem to belong to the pulp era.

I'll go with # 352.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
The cover of # 352 has always bothered me. The issue introduces a major team of villains, and yet the cover is as mundane as can be. Instead of showing the Legionnaires squaring off against the F5 (as I imagined for years before I actaully saw the cover), it just shows the Legionnaires running off with pictures of the villains. Meh.

You have to remember, though, that they aren't really a team of villains until the very end of the second issue. The cover does a good job of depicting what actually happens in the issue, namely the recruitment of five villains to help save the universe.
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:

You have to remember, though, that they aren't really a team of villains until the very end of the second issue. The cover does a good job of depicting what actually happens in the issue, namely the recruitment of five villains to help save the universe.
True, but covers are always symbolic anyway. When it comes to accuracy versus drama on covers, I think editors make the wiser choice in emphasizing the latter over the former.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
The universe dying not enough drama for you? [Smile]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 136 pages: 1  2  3  ...  84  85  86  87  88  89  90  ...  134  135  136   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.