Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Giffen is doing LSH Annual!!! (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Giffen is doing LSH Annual!!!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I learned recently that many people dislike Jack Kirby's artwork. It was at that point that I realized, many people don't have my refined tastes in art. [Wink] Same goes for the Giffen conversation.

While I'm personally excited about Giffen returning, I think something a lot of us might agree on is that there is a genuine sense that many of Legion history's best creators are looking to return to the fold. There are rumors of Jim Sherman also doing a story with Paul.

In an era where continuity is a topic that makes fans baby-making areas shrivel up and die, it's nice to know that creators who truly *know* the Legion are getting back involved. On the opposite side and equally nice, is that Levitz is intent to push forward with a sense of 'new', in new situations, stories and characters and not focus on continuity itself. I'm glad for that dynamic: people who know the franchise but don't seem intent on focusing soley on the minutae of the past.

The idea that we're having a Legion Annual again is terrific. Levitz always wrote great annuals. Maybe Eryk, Lardy, myself and others heads will explode if Darwyn Cooke could do Annual #2! Jim Lee could do the back-up because it would take a year to get 8 pages out of him.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
quote:
Originally posted by Kent:
my point was: is art itself poor merely because the viewer doesn't like it?

people are saying "the art is poor" rather than "I found the art poor."

little difference, perhaps - but I would suggest the latter is less likely to tick off people of a different opinion, while the former can be read as if the poster is asserting "that's the way it is, period."

Except Silver Age Lad gave reasons beyond "I didn't like it" for why he thought the art was poor. Specifically, "The 5YL art does not tell the story well IMHO. it was regularyly difficult to tell what was happening and who was whom." and "For me the artwork during 5YL greatly detracted from some very good storylines. Comic art is supposed to tell a story - if it does not then it is poor IMHO." And note that SAL phrases this as his opinion. "IMHO" & "for me".

Even still, would it be fair to say that you don't find the art to be poor, mostly because you like it?

You maybe ticked off because it is being said "the art is poor" rather than "I found the art poor", but in the same way when it is said "the art wasn't poor" instead of "I didn't find the art poor" it will tick people off. And in a way, saying "the art wasn't poor" to someone who just said "the art was poor IMHO" is to discount/invalidate their opinion.

bad argument, counsellor.

this approach seems to suggest that there are only two approaches, and they automatically carry equal weight. Not finding the art poor does not mean one liked the art; one could find it mediocre - just not poor.

Moreover, someone bashing another's favorite artist does not seem to be comparable with someone else defending an artist one dislikes. Let's say I hypothetically hate the work of an artist named Lief Robfeld. If you come along and say Robfeld's work isn't that bad, am I likely to get offended? Or merely assume you have different/odd/no taste?

It seems to me it would take such a severe hate-on for anyone to really get miffed that suggesting a disliked artist's work "isn't that bad" would trigger the same reaction as someone dissing an artist actually liked.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
As I recall in v3, Brainy removes the Computo matrix from Danielle, which thus allows him to turn Computo into the majordomo for LSH HQ. I can't remember if we actually see her in any of the issues where Jacques is shown visiting his family, however.

she's shown in the issue where the emerald empress appears again searching for answers for immortality. Danielle is shown playing with some other kids then when jacques appears she wants to spend time with him alone and complains about it to the other children who want to monopolize his time (cause he's a famous legionnaire).

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I owe Mr. Giffen an apology. I shouldn't have been so rude.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Are you being sarcastic? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
No.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
Has anyone heard anything more about the annual? Any cover solicits yet? I wonder if it will come out any sooner than the one year anniversary of the new book.
From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Cover and announcement on Newsarama:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/levitz-giffen-legion-annual-100920.html

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
And at the Source:

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2010/09/20/levitz-giffen-reunite-on-legion-of-super-heroes/

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I like that cover:
 -

The Empress' outfit is very Kirby-esque. Can anyone tell who drew this? It's a radical change if it's Keith Giffen.

--------------------
"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
OMG! I LOVE that cover!

I wonder who the artist is? It looks familiar but I can't place it. I'd love it if it is Giffen since that'll mean he's still capable of drawing in a less 'out-there', stylistic style than what we've seen from him over the last few years.

Plus - a "NEW" Emerald Empress? Does that mean the EE we've been seeing since Lo3W wasn't Sarya? Or is Paul ret-conning those appeances away or something? Would love to see a Cera Kesh appearance in all this.

Interesting choice of Legionnaires too. I wonder if the new EE won't be the only thing 'coming out' of this issue?

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[Yes]

At the very least, it looks like there'll finally be a spotlight on somebody other than The Big Four. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
SQEEEEEE.

OK, THIS Empress LOOKS Imperial. And I feel SO sorry for any artist that has to draw this outfit in the future. She has a cape crinoline, for Brand's sake! (I'm sure there's a proper term for that thingie, but "cape crinoline" was best I could do.) And look out boys. She's got a whip, and she knows how to use it.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
I am just guessing, but I would say the cover pencils are from Giffen, with an inker I can't pin down.

Giffen has dabbled with Kirbyesque style before (which I like). Compare this cover to the Legends cover of the Legion. The style looks similar to me.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brigort
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brigort   Email brigort         Edit/Delete Post     
It's Giffen.
To quote the source.."He's mixing Kirby with his '90s Legion style and a modern sensibility."

This is gonna be soooo good.

From: PEI, Canada | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.