Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion of Super-Heroes #5 (Preview & Spoilers) (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Legion of Super-Heroes #5 (Preview & Spoilers)
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Shackleford:
Seems pretty unlikely they would have such an agreement, unless both Shady and Mon-El were comfortable for several years with Tinya popping in unannounced.

Which has all sorts of scandalous implications, in itself. Tinya is the one Legionnaire who could visit Mon in the Zone, after all.

I wonder if Tinya, Shady, Mon and Jo are swingers?

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmeraldEmpress
Beautiful & Merciless

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmpress   Email EmeraldEmpress         Edit/Delete Post     
Ha ha...swingers or all have sex together...Interesting option.

--------------------
From Spain with glamour.

From: Valencia- Spain | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Director Lad
aka Sudro Brown II

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Director Lad   Email Director Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Or maybe Mon-el just liked his quarters better.

I've been enjoying the series so far, despite its apparent clumsiness. Honestly though, I expected that from a writer that's been out of the game for 20 years. As far as I can see, each issue has just gotten better. We're already seeing some of what made him great back in the day, with two- to three-page scenes moving back and forth between subplots. I think he's doing a pretty good job of getting a good portion of the team on the page and as he gets more comfortable, we'll see more of them at the right times. I'm basically viewing this as Season One of Star Trek: The Next Generation. It'll take a little time for Paul to get totally back up to speed as a writer, but once he does...

As for the Earth Man plot, I'm trusting Paul to take it someplace interesting and credible. Keep in mind that this is the same writer who had an impostor in the Legion for over a year's worth of stories. There's plenty that he's not telling us...yet.

I do agree that the art has been inconsistent. I'm finding it hard to warm to Cinar's work. Given some of the spectacular artists who have graced the Legion's pages, I'd really like to see Yildiray's game kicked up a notch. Portela's stuff in this issue was nice, but also inconsistent. Some faces were wildly expressive and some, not so much (Dawny and Gates look like they're asleep in their last panel). It'll be nice to see Jimenez take on the team next issue.

From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
I actually thought this issue was a little disappointing, because it was mostly a series of fight scenes and plot. And I much prefer character development to plot, at least where the Legion is concerned. Oh well, I'm still looking forward eagerly to the next one.

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[shrug]

I don't know whether it's just fatigue or not, but this whole issue just leaves me scratching my head. It looks nice, but I'm pretty baffled as to where the story's going. It probably would have helped if I'd read the earlier stories that showcased EM. I've only seen fragments.

Also, can somebody tell me if there's any earlier hints of Durlans essentially worshiping Brande as a martyr post-assassination? It doesn't make much logical sense to me, but maybe that's Levitz'es point: these people are no more rational than EM's (erstwhile?) allies on Earth. The two groups are flip sides of the same coin.

[Hmmm?]

I'll think about it more after I've caught up on sleep. And I'll add that I'm irritated at fans who keep doggedly complaining that "Shady left Mon-El for this loser?!" Uh, it's already been established that they were split up beforehand. Yeesh. Enough already!

The worst aspect of the pairing (if that's what it is) would be how little build-up we got. It just seems rushed and forced. I like my space-soap, too-- but, maybe not quite so heavy-handed.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
We don't see that Shady broke up with Lar before EM was forced to join the Legion.
She was with Lar during Lo3Ws.
It is not crazy to think that their break-up involved Shady's interest in Kirt.
We just don't know exactly what her interest IS in him.

It's also true that she might have just decided one day to just dump him, but there was no indication that their relationship was in trouble in the Baxter series and nothing up to the point that Levitz took over.

If she just lost interest, which is totally out of character, and 'dumped' Lar with no explaination or empathy for a man that she has loved totally for the last, 6 to 8 years, comic time, the story telling is MORE than heavy handed.
The only reason I can think that she'd treat Lar so coldly, is that she WANTS his to be offended and get as far away as possible - Tharr and/or Daxam.

You may be right, but if you are, this isn't my Shadow Lass, not the one I remember OR the one I want to know.

And Durlan's were never shown to worship Brande before, that I remember.
They HAVE been shown to have Brande as a leader or of the leader cast, since Cham was considered a leader.
Was that in the original boot?
And if so, is that what Paul is building on?

His status certainly wasn't mentioned by Brande in his will.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by cleome:

And I'll add that I'm irritated at fans who keep doggedly complaining that "Shady left Mon-El for this loser?!" Uh, it's already been established that they were split up beforehand. Yeesh. Enough already!

Ok, I will reply to you here since I think I was the first fan to say almost exactly that when this issue first came out.
Speaking for myself only here ... when I said " she left the company of a noble man like Monel for that???" it seems like I was stating that I felt Shady hooked up with E-Man while she was still 'with' Monel. That's not at all what I meant. I meant that, ok fine, she left Monel for whatever reasons ... (a span of time goes by) ... THEN she gets together with ... that???
Meaning she leaves Monel ... then LATER gets with the loser, or yet another way of looking at it, she leaves Monel and then some time shortly after that decides she likes bigotted, narrow-minded people more than her boyfriend of years and years. Shortly thereafter she decides she waited long enough now (what, two weeks, one month maybe?), realizes she craves the company of another person so she sets her sights on E-Man.
Ok? Makes sense?
Hope that clears up where I'm coming from with my comment on page three of this thread.

P.S. There is no way this is Shady, but if it is then she has an hidden ulterior motive.

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[snip]

quote:
Originally posted by future king:

Hope that clears up where I'm coming from with my comment on page three of this thread.

Yes, thanks. But I wasn't just talking about your comments, fk. I've heard it from other people on other fan spaces, too.

quote:
P.S. There is no way this is Shady, but if it is then she has an hidden ulterior motive.

Possibly, but even if it is Shady acting on her own free will, I don't want a perfectly good character dead or maimed or whatever because of bad writing. I've known friends IRL who did actually get mixed up with bad partners, and even they didn't always know why. They may have exasperated the hell out of me in the process, but I didn't just dismiss them from my own life unless they made it impossible to do anything else.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korbal
The Lightning World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korbal   Email Korbal         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:

* Harmonia Li - if she turns out to be a villain (and even the intentional cause of Titan's destruction) then I will take my hat off to Paul and the quick-thinkers in this thread because I never would have seen that coming. Now that I think about it - Circadia Senius' dialogue could be hints that she's the Time Trapper. But I hope Paul isn't going down that road. I'm kinda tired of *shocking* Time Trapper identity reveals that just get retconned a year or two later.

After her tirade against the Oans, beginning to lean towards her being a Manhunter...

--------------------
"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63

Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
So I finally actually got a chance to buy and read it - not super impressed. I think this is the weakest issue since the new series started.

The main criticism for myself is being told how the regugee camp fight scene went down (in Jeckie's case, in great detail) rather than having it shown.

There are some other things I am not super happy about (Shady and Earth-Man, the Legion's general poor showing against a bunch of guys with guns, Gates and Dawny hanging round on Naltor for no discernable reason), but I am willing to give Paul the benefit of the doubt on this stuff. The only thing I really think is poor storytelling is the aforementioned fight scene.

Having said that, I wonder if some of the pacing issues in this series so far are just teething problems as Paul and Yildiray get their working relationship figured out? I can't help but wonder if maybe that fight scene at the refugee camp wasn't actually plotted panel for panel, and the script was forced to explain holes in the art? Dunno.

There were definitely some positives as well - I really liked seeing Circadia Senius again and I actually don't mind the development with Zendak on its own as long as it leads to a good story (though the Legion's supporting cast has been fairly well decimated in the past couple of years!)

It will be interesting to see how next issue pans out with Jiminez at the art helm.

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by future king:
quote:
Originally posted by cleome:

And I'll add that I'm irritated at fans who keep doggedly complaining that "Shady left Mon-El for this loser?!" Uh, it's already been established that they were split up beforehand. Yeesh. Enough already!

Ok, I will reply to you here since I think I was the first fan to say almost exactly that when this issue first came out.
Speaking for myself only here ... when I said " she left the company of a noble man like Monel for that???" it seems like I was stating that I felt Shady hooked up with E-Man while she was still 'with' Monel. That's not at all what I meant. I meant that, ok fine, she left Monel for whatever reasons ... (a span of time goes by) ... THEN she gets together with ... that???
Meaning she leaves Monel ... then LATER gets with the loser, or yet another way of looking at it, she leaves Monel and then some time shortly after that decides she likes bigotted, narrow-minded people more than her boyfriend of years and years. Shortly thereafter she decides she waited long enough now (what, two weeks, one month maybe?), realizes she craves the company of another person so she sets her sights on E-Man.
Ok? Makes sense?

You're not just speaking for yourself, Future King. That's my opinion of the matter too. Shady is definitely slumming for lack of a better word, if she's gone from Mon-El, one of the noblest heroes of all time, to jumping in the sack with a megalomaniacal racist freak like Earth man. It just doesn't fly in my book at all.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Raz, you make such a good point about the Levitz/Cinar team meshing together.

Every artist will interpret the script differently.

Some will adhere to what is there only, while someone more seasoned might know to include a little panel of Jeckie being blasted or whatever or at least shown it in the background.

I think the Levitz/Giffen team has been so succesful because Keith was way more involved than just drawing the scripts "as is".

Levitz will need to be really specific for a new artist.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the support Jim. Shady's actions don't fly in my book either.
From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Are there still Manhunters in the DCU?
If so, that's a good guess.

And I don't want PERFECT characters, I just want ones that make sense.
That's the writers job and there's a very long history with these characters.

THIS character hasn't shown herself to be this way, either to Lar, the Legion or to honor.
There HAS to be more than that she got bored, dumped Lar and choose almost immediately to have sex with EM.
There's a mystery afoot.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Seems pretty unlikely they would have such an agreement, unless both Shady and Mon-El were comfortable for several years with Tinya popping in unannounced.

Or it could simply be a plot point just to get them caught in bed? Still believing Shady has higher motives than just a bump and grind.

quote:
Are there still Manhunters in the DCU?
If so, that's a good guess.

Yes there are...but if any of them suriving to the 31st century right now is questionable...(there's nothing that says explicitly that Laurel Kent is a manhunter now...remember she was put in as one because Superboy was taken from the legion as the person who was going to be Superman...since he's back...and since he did marry Lois...and she does look like the woman he's going to marry...I say she exists as a descendant.

As for Harmonia being a manhunter...hmmmm possibly but i dont get that "feeling" from her...after all I would think she would be the one to lead the charge into discovering hte origins of the universe out of disrespect for the Guardians...but she was the only discenting voice.

I would advise everyone in here to pick up this
Tales of the Green Lantern Corps Annual #2 (1986),
it details this: Sodam Yat is a prophesied future member of the Green Lantern Corps, created by Alan Moore and is first mentioned in "Tygers", a story in Tales of the Green Lantern Corps Annual #2. He is mentioned in passing to Abin Sur by a demon named Qull of the Five Inversions, who had been imprisoned on the planet Ysmault by the Guardians of the Universe. As a Daxamite (a race which descended from Kryptonians with inherent Superman-like powers) with a power ring, he would be nearly unstoppable. Despite this, in Qull's prophecy, he is still defeated as part of the final destruction of the Green Lantern Corps.

this gives some structure to what's going on with Sodam and Oa now..with some differences.

[ October 04, 2010, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: Superboy-Supergirl ]

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.