Legion World
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » LSH cover FACEOFF!!! (Page 53)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 136 pages: 1  2  3  ...  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  ...  134  135  136   
Author Topic: LSH cover FACEOFF!!!
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Though I love 5YL, that cover isn't exactly iconic. It represents the feel well but just ain't purty, ya know? The current number one is a striking image, though I'd rather have had a group shot or something. It definitely shows us the Legion is back while acknowledging something that has had little to do with Legion continuity previously in the form of the GL ring. (I'll bet the new cover image sold some books, too!)

The new #1 gets the nod.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
LSH # 1 FACE-OFF!!!

CHOOSE! [Smile]

-

VS.

-

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
Cinar cover.

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Like Nighty, I'm not a fan of either cover.

UNlike Nighty, I will vote...

TMK # 1, because I actively hate the current # 1 cover (though Cinar's subsequent covers look uh-MAZE-ing!!).

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
There are times when comic book creators transcend their medium, and manage to lift their work to the level of Art with a capital A. The cover of the first issue of the TMK run was one of those times. Comic book covers are traditionally loud affairs. The purpose is to get you to pay attention. Look at me! Buy me! They can be viewed as advertisements.

Giffen didn't play that game with the introduction of his version of the team. It was subtle, quiet and sad. It whispered, "everything is different." And, for once, it truly was. The colors created the mood and set the tone. This is the planet Braal. This is real science fiction. It is my all time favorite Legion cover.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
There are times when comic book creators transcend their medium, and manage to lift their work to the level of Art with a capital A. The cover of the first issue of the TMK run was one of those times. Comic book covers are traditionally loud affairs. The purpose is to get you to pay attention. Look at me! Buy me! They can be viewed as advertisements.

Giffen didn't play that game with the introduction of his version of the team. It was subtle, quiet and sad. It whispered, "everything is different." And, for once, it truly was. The colors created the mood and set the tone. This is the planet Braal. This is real science fiction. It is my all time favorite Legion cover.

Jerry, I've long admired your way with words. What a beautiful endorsement of TMK's LSH # 1 cover!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I kinda like the concepts behind both covers but IMO both fall short on the execution too (which seems to be the case with a lot of Legion covers I'm noticing).

The colours don't work for me on the v.4 cover and that upside-down Legion ring on the Cinar cover is very grating.

I'll go for the v.4 cover because it's moody and ominous and tells a story unlike the new one which just says 'there's a Green Lantern in the Legion', which - yawn.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
I will go with TMK, because like Lash, I despise the new cover!

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Language Arts Dave
searching...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Language Arts Dave   Email Language Arts Dave         Edit/Delete Post     
TMK

--------------------
All you need is Love (and a whole big bucket of Money).

From: Lost in the Ozone Again | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Healex
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Healex   Email Healex         Edit/Delete Post     
The TMK issue. I hate the new cover, only because it's more of a Green Lantern cover than Legion, even with the ring. Loved the variant much better.
From: Tampa | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'll vote for TMK, too. The Legion doesn't (or shouldn't) need the GL ring on the cover to sell it.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
TMK.
I agree with Jerry quite a bit.

My only reservation is that Giffen over used the face black out.
I mean, really over used it.
Even when the bridge of the nose should have been seen. And maybe the tip of the chin.
The parts that actually hit the light if you don't have your chin buried in your neck.
sigh
(pet peeve for me)

But I loved the costumes, coloring and feel of that era, probably my favorite Legion 'look'.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stuorstew
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stuorstew   Email stuorstew         Edit/Delete Post     
TMK just awesome
From: Dorset, England | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ultrajo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ultrajo   Author's Homepage   Email ultrajo         Edit/Delete Post     
TMK cover.
From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
TMK. Jerry put it well, and I like the sense of mystery to it.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 136 pages: 1  2  3  ...  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  ...  134  135  136   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.