Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Giffen is doing LSH Annual!!! (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Giffen is doing LSH Annual!!!
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Click for fullsize image
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Kevin Sharpe has his fans, please be civil.

[removed image, since Dev posted it before me]

Solicited here and showing on the main page scroll as well.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
^really not seeing the hate, here. I think it's a pretty decent cover. [shrug]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
They need a LOVE button for me to click for this cover. [Smile]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
It really looks nothing like Giff's prior styles that I can recall. It's got kind of a nice Silver Agey/Bronze Agey vibe to it.

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Heck, it frankly does more for me than any of Jim Lee's LSH variants have so far! Am I that far off the median here?!?!

--------------------

cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
It looks all right to me. I mean, I'm not drooling over it but I'm not foaming at the mouth, either.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Except for the kind of goofy looking Superman, I'd say it's okay, but not anything great.

I'd also agree the Jim Lee covers are nothing to go ga-ga over.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chief Taylor:
Heck, it frankly does more for me than any of Jim Lee's LSH variants have so far! Am I that far off the median here?!?!

There is no median. I think the Annual cover is incredibly bad (Imra, in particular!), and Jim Lee's covers are beautiful. But opinions on art are always gonna be subjective.

I would, in a second, chose the deliberately distorted and 'toony' art from the cartoon series in a second as 'serious art' over that cover. At least with cartoon art, with their tiny little waists and ankles and wrists, and bulging calves and forearms, the distortions of body proportions are obvious stylistic choices, and consistent within the medium, as opposed to that cover, where Wildfire is all hippalicious, Superboy's leg attaches very strangely to his torso, and Timber Wolf looks stretched-out and slightly deformed. In the case of the cover, the physical malformations don't appear to be any one consistent stylistic choice, but wander all over the place, making me think the only consistent theme is 'deformed.'

But that's just my own perspective. I'm sure Giffen had some unifying theme that I'm missing. There's a faint Kirby feel to it, but it lacks the blocky and bold sense of weight or presence that a Kirby picture would have.

And now I've gone totally off the deep end, referring to Kirby's art as having weight. Next I'll sip my soda and comment on its fruity undertones....

[ July 31, 2010, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: Set ]

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

I don't mean to imply that I'm in love with the Legacies cover (not the Annual's cover, Set, which is as-yet unsolicited), but it has a nice nostalgia factor going on with an obvious homage to several past Legion covers in its format. In contrast Lee's covers just haven't grabbed me at all in any way. I'd say that Perez's character-focused L3W were much better and didn't require any of the extra dough that owning Lee's require.

--------------------

lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Cosmic Boy has a Plastino feel to me, while barrel-chested Garth is very Wayne Boring.
Wildfire's pose mimics Grell's cover to the 1st tabloid & Superboy reminds me of Staton's cover to S/LSH # 250.
Timber Wolf & Imra I don't like at all.

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by lil'rhino:
Cosmic Boy has a Plastino feel to me, while barrel-chested Garth is very Wayne Boring.
Wildfire's pose mimics Grell's cover to the 1st tabloid & Superboy reminds me of Staton's cover to S/LSH # 250.

See, I knew there had to be some sort of unifying theme going on. The images just seemed too discordant, in notably different styles. If he's picking characteristic images from the past and trying to emulate the styles of those artists, that's a valid technique, even if I'm not nearly experienced enough of a Legion fan to recognize those homages.
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, I think it's pretty clear that he's going for a "imitate different eras" kind of feel, but I don't think he's being all that successful at it.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
The only picture I really like on that cover is Giffin's Invisible Kid in the lower left hand box.

[LOL]

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
Kidding obviously... Seriously, the early "Cockrum-y" Wildfire looks really good. I don't care for the other Legionnaires on the cover though.

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.