Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Dawnstar and Wildfire (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Dawnstar and Wildfire
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Their fairly modest at the moment but have been much less so at various times in the past.
Ayla's at the moment may have long sleeves and harken back to Adventure days, the the G-string panties are just wrong, imo.

And we may be aged, but a lot of females think like we do, imo, and DC (comics in general) would do well to alter things just a little to bring in more female readers.

Girls make up over 50% of the population AND they read more than boys AND are more likely to spend their money on books and related items.

What's this thread about?
Oh yes, Dawnstar and Wildfire.
How come Wildfire's suit isn't more like Wildstar's?

I'm fluffy.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
In defense of Wildfire and Dawnstar:

1) I think both characters were unique at the time of their introduction and are good characters to keep around.

2) Neither one needs to be "amped up" in power. Wildfire has always been potentially great, power-wise. Dawnstar has the unique (to the Legion) power of tracking, as well as super-speed, maneuverability, and natural space travel (without suit protection or oxygen). She has plenty of power. The nice thing about the not-so-great powered Legionnaires is that they can combine into a formidable force. Vulnerability and their struggle to overcome overwhelming odds makes them more heroic and interesting, IMO.

3) As a couple, Wildfire and Dawnstar are probably the oddest currently in the Legion, which again has potential for a story. I always thought there was an untold story out there about Wildfire losing his hold on his own humanity (loss of sense of touch, smell?, possible immortality) and Dawnstar being his anchor to humankind. It was touched on briefly with his changed form under Quislet's guidance, but I feel that this could be explored much deeper.

4) I am not a big fan of the "boob window" and could easily do without it. I am not keen on Dawnstar's current costume and detest Wildstar's outfit. I am with Mediocre Boy in that I liked the Magic Wars Dawnstar outfit on her best (but wouldn't want to draw it regularly). It makes sense to me that Legionnaires would have dress reflecting their own unique cultures. Wildfire's latest looks (DnA and G. Frank's) have grown on me, maybe because he looks a little more Gort-like and less human (see #3).

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
pffft! Tellus is naked all the time and Gates' first appearance was in the buff as well. Legion gals got nothin' on these two.

[Wink] [Big Grin]

Has it been established what sex these two actually are? They may both be female for all we know...

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
I think it would be kind of cool if the Hykraians were like some frogs and changed gender throughout their lives. Tellus could find the whole idea of boys and girls being forever separate entities a bit of a quaint notion...

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
In past stories, and especially around the time Tellus was first introduced, it was established the he is a "he".
The other Legionnaires refer to him as he anyway.

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[snip]

quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:

And I'm thinking "older females" have never been and never will be the target audience for most comics. You can't blame comic creators for marketing to the largest comic-buying demographic segment, which is younger males...

Actually, I can and do blame them. The industry is losing money and has been losing money for decades now, and I'd attribute much of it to their willful ignorance and sometimes out-and-out hostility towards females of all ages. They put out products that alienate what could be a huge market share, or they completely miscalculate or misunderstand what women would like to read-- and then market the products poorly; then they blame the audience for not shelling out.

Every decade, it's the same old story.

Their attitude toward female fans (of all ages) isn't just insulting, it's also self-destructive.

More on that in another thread, though.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
cleome says it so much better than I do, but that's what I meant.

LeGuin wrote about a human colony that had evolved to their new homeworld to change genders throughout their lives, so the idea has definitely been explored.

Dawnstar and Wildfire trying to have a physical relationship was explore also, when Drake had his more human look.
There were burn marks on Dawny's skin and Wildfire got upset over hurting her and left.

He's also been shown to be basically immortal, if he doesn't run into something that converts his particular energy into something else, imo.
He was in the Legion 1,000,000 story where his energy was found and put into a new suit.
He functioned the same as before and remembered the past.

Gates was shown on his homeworld, as I remember it, to be male, in that it was a hive race with a ruling queen and he didn't function as a 'worker', who are usually females.

--------------------

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candlelight:
Their fairly modest at the moment but have been much less so at various times in the past.
Ayla's at the moment may have long sleeves and harken back to Adventure days, the the G-string panties are just wrong, imo.

The funny thing is: the "cut" of Ayla's costume is almost exactly like Imra's top/jacket. All Ayla needs is a pair of tights, or the "runner's shorts," like XS wears.

quote:
And we may be aged, but a lot of females think like we do, imo, and DC (comics in general) would do well to alter things just a little to bring in more female readers.

Yeah. It should tell them something that we agree on this, even when we hardly agree on anything else, right?

[tease]

quote:
What's this thread about?
Oh yes, Dawnstar and Wildfire.
How come Wildfire's suit isn't more like Wildstar's?

I've pretty much liked all of Wildfire's costumes. I was a little sad when they didn't stick with the "energy construct body" idea. Because it had the potential to open up a lot more about his character.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

We agree on more than you think, or perhaps, that I let on.

I'd put all of the girls in tights or pants/shorts.
My 4 year old grandaughter wears some version under all of her skirts and dresses and she looks fantastic.

I think Legionnaires need a 'look', so I'd remove her sleeves, too.

I don't know if you've seen Wildstar.
She's a dotREBELS character that Bedard invented, who is an amalgam of Wildfire and Dawnstar.
Her containment suit is flesh pink and has black overlays that look like something Grell invented.
It's funny and sexist, especially compared to Drake's various looks over the years.
PINK, not less.
They could have at least made the color a golden brown/red if they were going for the flesh thingy.
lol

--------------------

Come, join me!

EmeraldEmperor
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmperor           Edit/Delete Post     
I've always loved Wildfire and Dawnstar and the unique relationship that they have, but I agree both characters need some work.

Break them up and have Dawnstar hook up with Mon-el. I always thought they would be an ideal couple.

From: Southern Oklahoma | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by EmeraldEmperor:
Break them up and have Dawnstar hook up with Mon-El. I always thought they would be an ideal couple.

They both do have a distant explorer / anachronism thing going on. That might actually be a better reason to keep them apart, since they'd probably wander off and never be seen again...
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmeraldEmperor
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmperor           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
quote:
Originally posted by EmeraldEmperor:
Break them up and have Dawnstar hook up with Mon-El. I always thought they would be an ideal couple.

They both do have a distant explorer / anachronism thing going on. That might actually be a better reason to keep them apart, since they'd probably wander off and never be seen again...
Hook 'em up and have them start a new team....the Wanderers!
From: Southern Oklahoma | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.