Legion World
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » LSH cover FACEOFF!!! (Page 39)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 136 pages: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  134  135  136   
Author Topic: LSH cover FACEOFF!!!
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not a huge Grell fan since I thought and think, that many of his costumes are bordering on ridiculous but I DO think that he was a good follow-up for Cockrum.
Their styles were similar enough to create a continuity of the new visual identity that Cockrum, and a few others (fan costumes) had begun.

One of my problems with Grell, too, is that his work is SO of that era, Disco stuff, that I don't think it carries over well.
It's not 'ageless'.

Few artists and their work, are really.

I think that Swan, Adams, Cockrum, Lightle, Hughes and Coipel transend their 'eras'.
(That list isn't exhaustive, by any means.)

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
LSH ELSEWORLDS FACE-OFF... (The Legionnaires scan is much larger through no fault of mine, sorry 'bout that)

-

VS.

-

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Legionnaires 54.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KryptonKid
Khyddae Kryptoneum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KryptonKid   Author's Homepage   Email KryptonKid         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm. If I had voted from memory, I would have gone the other way. 54 created some neat visual textures, but I don't care much for Moy. LSH #92 and the "B" movie poster get my vote.

--------------------
~Integritas~

From: Bgtzl Proper | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
LSH 92 for me, too. Love seeing Gates featured in a cover, and the green background makes him seem more menacing, somehow. More...alien. They just did a good job on this one.

Leg. 54 looks too static for my taste.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Golden Age Legion for the win!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Language Arts Dave
searching...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Language Arts Dave   Email Language Arts Dave         Edit/Delete Post     
I guess I like thn both, but I'm gonna say Legionnaires 54

--------------------
All you need is Love (and a whole big bucket of Money).

From: Lost in the Ozone Again | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow a tough one. I think I am going with LSH 92. Love the movie poster homage!

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crymsun Kid
Subs Auxillary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crymsun Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Crymsun Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
54 for me.. I loved Moy, and I love how the scene reminds you of the JSA.

--------------------
Listen to the Completely Comics Podcast at http://completelycomics.wordpress.com/

From: Korugar | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I have no idea what happened in either of these, and while the *idea* of 54 excites the hell out of me, the artwork on 92 is way better.

I'd much rather read the story behind the cover of 54, but 92 is just a funner cover.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I like both- but I'll go with LEGIONNAIRES 54 since it has interesting looks for some of my favorite characters (finhead Element Lad? Hooded Invisible Kid? That awful magnet insignia for Cosmic Boy...). How could I possibly vote against that turban on Saturn Girl's head?

I do love Gates starring on a cover... and the choice of a drive-in monster movie poster representing the 1950's is a good one.

This pair of covers reminds me of so much story-potential wasted in that idea of the Time Trapper testing the Legionnaires by placing them in different eras.

That could have been a recurring bit for *years*! Similar to the Time Trapper's recurring role in ADVENTURE comics. Instead, we had these two 'looks', followed by a muddled, confusing two-parter that seemingly wrapped everything up. I wasn't satisifed then, and I'm less so now.

What might have been...

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
One really cool thing about 54 that needs to be mentioned... the groovy artificial aging effects to make it look more authentically like a fifty-year old comic! Note the "fades" in various places!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
92. I also love the atmospheric, B-movie poster homage.

Another aspect that makes it stand out is the intentional catering to the prejudices of the era. "Monster from Another Planet" -- as if any other planet *had* to be populated by monsters (a prejudice the Legion was designed to counter). The clean-cut, all-American white kids (including two blonde girls). The exaggerated, gigantic form of Gates (who was actually small). The cover, perhaps in a nod to Gates' political leanings, effectively spoofs Red Scare paranoia.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
92 for me.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brigort
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brigort   Email brigort         Edit/Delete Post     
Legionnaires #54 for me.
While this was the era that almost made me drop the Legion for the first time, I think that the overall look and faux aging of the cover make it a winner.

Artwise, Legion #92 is nicer, but 54 gets it for the gimmick cover.

From: PEI, Canada | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 136 pages: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  134  135  136   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.