Legion World
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » LSH cover FACEOFF!!! (Page 37)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 136 pages: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ...  134  135  136   
Author Topic: LSH cover FACEOFF!!!
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
I've never understood the devotion that Grell enjoys from so many fans. His work never appealed to me at all.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^ Ditto. He's done some pretty good work elsewhere (like Warlord and Green Arrow) but I found his Legion work to be very middle of the pack. And the cover shown here is totally forgettable IMO.
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
Grell - all the way...

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
His LSH is definitely not among Grell's best stuff, but he, Cockrum and Sherman are generally considered the best artists of the Superboy/LSH era. I don't count that cover among Legion classics by a mile, but the signature Grell work on Superboy puts it over the top compared to the very forgettable LSH work Staton did.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
re: 225 and the mannequins, for those who haven't read it, they (or actually, the costumes on them- 1 in particular) play a VERY important role in the story. I remember liking this issue a lot and yes iirc it is Levitz' first issue (drawn beautifully by James Sherman).

re: Grell's merits as a LSH artist; I see now how he was really learning on S/LSH, but to my kiddie eyes his art really popped.

re: Judging the book's cover and leaving what's inside OUT of the descision... that's what I am trying to do myself but it is sometimes not 100% possible.

Anyhoo my vote goes to 225.

FIRST TALLY:

225~ 10 votes

248~ 6 votes

This could go either way, and will remain open all day.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
ALL-AWESOME MEGA-BASH LEGIONNAIRES RIP EACH OTHER'S FACES OFF FACE-OFF!

-

VS.

-

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Language Arts Dave
searching...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Language Arts Dave   Email Language Arts Dave         Edit/Delete Post     
OK, I will confess to this one being difficult for me to judge unemotionally, because IF I remember correctly, this (#225) is the first Legion comic I ever bought for myself with my own money from my paper route in 3rd grade.

That being said, i think the cover for #225 is more dynamic. the second cover seems more staged and therefore the looks on Tinya's face and Cos's disco pose seem artificial.

--------------------
All you need is Love (and a whole big bucket of Money).

From: Lost in the Ozone Again | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
248. I at least have the slightest idea what's going on. Mon-El is a favorite character, so that helps, as well.

225 leaves me wondering why there are faceless copies of various Legionnaires in blocks of transparent whatever behind Shadow Lass, and, ultimately, I don't care much.

It is interesting how the artist has to tweak things to make the scene work. On 225, Wildfire's energy blast is curving to hit Superboy's shoulder, due to the angle, and on 248, Cosmic Boy is in this awkward position to make him visible between Mon-El's legs.

Wow, that came out dirtier than I intended...

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
What's up with Sun Boy's hair? It looks like a bad toupee about to fly off into space!

Both covers make me roll my eyes a bit-- here we go again... Legionnaires hitting Legionnaires... what's the gimmick *this* time?

I'll give it to #225 for two reasons-- the background and Shadow Lass.

225 has those weird cabinets with the uniforms... 248 has generic computer room/spaceship deck look to it. Both suffer from 'no roof' syndrome, but the cabinets take it.

Flying, active Tasmia beats the heck out of poor, swooning Tas- or even beaten-by-her-boyfriend Tas.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

quote:
Originally posted by Set:
... Cosmic Boy is in this awkward position to make him visible between Mon-El's legs.

Wow, that came out dirtier than I intended...

Mon-El is also between Sun Boy's legs. [Big Grin]

--------------------

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

quote:
Originally posted by Officer Taylor:
His LSH is definitely not among Grell's best stuff, but he, Cockrum and Sherman are generally considered the best artists of the Superboy/LSH era.

According to whom? Cockrum and Sherman rocked (imho). Grell was a crushing disappointment after Cockrum, and his work only got worse with time (imho).

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
quote:
His LSH is definitely not among Grell's best stuff, but he, Cockrum and Sherman are generally considered the best artists of the Superboy/LSH era.

According to whom? Cockrum and Sherman rocked (imho). Grell was a crushing disappointment after Cockrum, and his work only got worse with time (imho).
Well, I'd say that's the consensus I've seen here on the boards and in Legion retrospectives here and there.

Am I off-base here, guys?!?!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
#225, one of my favorite stories from that era even though it's one of those stories that throws pre-existing characterization out the window....although, one could say there was not really any pre-existing characterization at that point to be thrown out.

IIRC it actually shows in that fight that Wildfire has some degree of superstrength. Can't remember for certain though.

And yeah, the Grell Legion from that era is always going to have a special place in my heart.

Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
quote:

I always looked at it as Dave Cockrum pretty much made the Legion jump off the covers in the Newsstands visually, but Grell made them sexy and really refined what Dave started.
Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

I'm not trying to single you out, Officer Taylor, because you're by no means the only one who does this, but I have a pet peeve about people stating their opinion as if it's a fact. So unless one can provide concrete data from an extensive survey of Legion fandom, that quantifiably states "75% of all Legion fans rate Grell in the top 3 artists of such and such an era" IMHO, one should preface such a statement with an "imho".

My personal theory as to why so many Legion fans seem to like Grell is that many of the posters on here first discovered the Legion in their youth, while Grell was at the helm, and what they really feel is a certain nostalgic fondness for that time in their lives and that sense of discovering a whole new fantasy world, rather than an actual appreciation for Grell's artistic ability. Again, imho.

--------------------

This topic comprises 136 pages: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ...  134  135  136   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.