Legion World
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » LSH cover FACEOFF!!! (Page 36)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 136 pages: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  ...  134  135  136   
Author Topic: LSH cover FACEOFF!!!
KryptonKid
Khyddae Kryptoneum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KryptonKid   Author's Homepage   Email KryptonKid         Edit/Delete Post     
#225. It was one of my first Legion books.

--------------------
~Integritas~

From: Bgtzl Proper | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I've only read the second one.

I'll pick the first one, mostly because the mannequins with Legion costumes on them intrigue me.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
ALL-AWESOME MEGA-BASH LEGIONNAIRES RIP EACH OTHER'S FACES OFF FACE-OFF!

-

VS.

-

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Mike Grell vs. Joe Staton? Which one's a Legion Legend between the two? Yep, 225 for me, even if it's not the best Grell cover I've ever seen. You can see some of Grell's hallmarks in his facial work, especially on Superboy. Staton's faces just look awkward there, a frequent problem I have with him. (Shady's limp body looks pretty sexy there in Superboy's arms, though.)

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Grell had those mean sideburns on most of the male Legionnaires.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev Em:
Grell had those mean sideburns on most of the male Legionnaires.

Definitely a Grell hallmark on most male characters he draws! [Yes]

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
#225 - Go get 'em, Wildfire!
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
I LOVE both of these covers. Definitely one of Staton's better moments on the Legion. Perfect inking by the late great Dick Giordano. However, nothing in this world compares to Superboy drawn by Mike Grell. My heart skips a beat. #225 for the win.

[ May 10, 2010, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I like the second one (Joe Stanton) cover best.

Aside: I notice some people saying that the story inside the issue influences their vote for the cover. If we are just judging the covers, isn't the story inside irrelevant?

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Good question, Quislet. I try to judge the cover by the cover (as opposed to the book by the cover? Sorry, cracking myself up here!) for these contests. It's hard, though. Emotion plays a big part in how we experience art. Given the love we all have for the Legion, it would be near impossible to expect posters here to separate the emotion and nostalgia felt for the story from their decisions. I say let's shoot from the hip and vote as Legion fans first and art critics second. Just my opinion...

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
SLSH 225,Superboy vs. Wildfire,The Legion got a new writer with this issue I do believe,I wonder whatever became of him.

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ultrajo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ultrajo   Author's Homepage   Email ultrajo         Edit/Delete Post     
Mike Grell's #225 cover would be my choice.
From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Superboy carried Shady in her introduction issue, too.
I always thought that he kind of liked carrying her.
Lar certainly did.
[Smile]

I like the second cover because it has Mon as the center of the action, it hightlights their love and like Power Boy said, Dirk probably deserved it!

However, the second cover is not so straight forward.
The angles and action is moving, not stopped like it is in the other cover.
Shady is a little awkward, but he tried something dynamic.

And like EDE, I find the costume cubes really interesting.

So, I'm voting for the Grell cover.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
Aside: I notice some people saying that the story inside the issue influences their vote for the cover. If we are just judging the covers, isn't the story inside irrelevant?

In general I'm NOT letting those feelings shade my choices. But when one of them was from the friggin' GDS? MUCH harder to separate! It was the GDS that turned me into a lifelong Legion fan after all!

And the more I think about it, the more I feel 293 was the correct choice over 313 after all. It was a very effective way of showing the building tension in GDS and an excellent use of the title as a design element. 313 is a lovely image, but it looked a lot like the design elements to the Who's Who in the Legion mini that would eventually come and the title doesn't play as big or interesting a role in the image as 293 did.

So I stand by the choice even divorced from my emotional response. If Lash chooses the Magic Wars (which is one of my least favorite Legion stories) cover in the future as he's hinted, I'll try to do the same!

--------------------

Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I find both of these covers pretty blah so this one's a coin toss for me.

I'll go with the second one since it seems to be losing.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 136 pages: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  ...  134  135  136   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.