Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Adventure Comics # 519 - Spoilers (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Adventure Comics # 519 - Spoilers
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Actually, you can join ROTC in high school, which is a prelude to military service.
You can also finish high school through community college, earning college credits, so theroretically you could take criminal justice classes as a part of your high school ciriculum, today.

And kids in England have gone to military academies at an early age for centuries.
In this country, too, for that matter.

Anyway, the Ayla part I remember was the jokes about her sleeping with every guy in the Legion and the snickers when some of the team found her sleeping with Gim's giant, gay broher and the dog.

AND she couldn't remember because of a black out.
I'm sorry, but I don't care what century or culture you're in, if you're humanoid from an Earth colony, drunken black outs and not knowing what you've had sex with the next day is the sign of a troubled and addictive personality.
Period.

And suggesting that it's okay because it's the future is not only harmful to the younger readers but ridiculous.
3,000 years ago, a drunk was a drunk and an undesireable state, and it is now, too.
A thousand more years isn't going to change that any more than 3,000 has.

If the DCU wants to show that it IS an okay thing, then they HAVE to really show how and why and show it's cultural effects. And not just say it's a change without the resultant ripples.

For example, synthahol(sp) that was part of the Legion history, when did it start, I don't remember for sure, but I DO remember it in the TMK years with Kono.
I can buy something like that replacing the real thing in a culture because we saw it in the diner and with Kono and other places.

Fake meats was another.

I even bought Ayla running around on Winath without a top and having sex with whomever there, because it fit into that storylines paramatures. It worked and was natural since everyone shown was a part of it, more or less.

Not Ayla sleeps with dogs but Imra looses her boyfriend because she wonders about kissing another guy.

I DO agree that everyone wouldn't have to have the same morals, but within a homogenius group like the Legion, there should be some basic behavioral modes displayed, imo.
And if they do something that's supposed to be okay, then have the reactions of the ones involved, at the very least, be okya with it.

Paul isn't doing that well, Waid was even worse.

[ October 20, 2010, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: Candle ]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korbal
The Lightning World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korbal   Email Korbal         Edit/Delete Post     
Enjoyed the issue, but was initally disappointed that the Espionage Squad was not in action at the Solar Bank, to set up the future presence of the spectrium bar for the Zaryan/Legion climax. However, accepting such a reward always did make the Legion seem kind of mercenary, so perhaps Paul has thought up a new way for Saturn Girl to steal everyone's powers. The other half of the tale was amusing enough, and whether Paul intended it to be or not, was a nice homage to Brainy's solo actions depicted in Adventure #342...

--------------------
"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63

Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Finally got to read the whole thing. It's definitely been my favorite Adventure to date. A wide-ranging group of characters getting to share the spotlight is most welcome.

Too bad that the group's time on the book is ending just as the writing and art are starting to be really compelling.

[shrug] Ain't that always the way, though?

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
Next issue is the last one that will be about the Legion's early years right? I think a Legionnaire dies in that one (Ferro Lad?).

I agree with you Cleome, they cut the "untold" early years stories too short in my opinion. So much potential there! Oh well, I guess they need the extra space in Adventure to map out the whole Green Lanterns in the 31st century thing. I hope it's worth the trade though. If a long-time Legionnaire gets the GL ring then it might be worth it in the long run, especially if he becomes popular with the readers. That will surely open the regular series to more, new fans, and that's a good thing for LSH in general.

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^ I think Lightning Lad will be the member to die in the next issue. Tying in with the whole Zaryan sub-plot that's been running through the book for a while.
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
"AND she couldn't remember because of a black out.
I'm sorry, but I don't care what century or culture you're in, if you're humanoid from an Earth colony, drunken black outs and not knowing what you've had sex with the next day is the sign of a troubled and addictive personality.
Period."

wouldn't this be true if it was a pattern of behavior?

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duck458
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duck458   Email duck458         Edit/Delete Post     
Was I the only one who thought that Saturn Girl was acting unusually queasy?

--------------------
So what.

From: Harrisburg, PA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by duck458:

[LOL]
Do your comments just blurt out or do you think about them?!
You have a wonderful pattern of making me laugh!
Thank-you!

And, yes, S-S, I think it would need to be a pattern of behavior, but the Legionnaires who saw her seemed to imply that it was just Ayla in her usual mode.
But, I also think that ANYTIME, you drink to blackout and not knowing what's happened the next day, you're in trouble emotionally and mentally and you need help to deal with the underlying causes so that the actions don't BECOME a pattern.
IMO.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by duck458:

Oh, that would add fuel to the fire.

Imra has morning sickness!

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.