Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Giffen is doing LSH Annual!!! (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Giffen is doing LSH Annual!!!
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
I am looking forward to this. Should be a blast!!
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
His writing I enjoy.

His art, not so much.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by future king:
P.S. Just look at the variant cover for DC Universe Legacies #6 ... I rest my case.

Er, I honestly think it's a decent cover, personally. I know it hasn't been a consensus favorite, but don't presume everyone agrees with you. [shrug]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm looking forward to it, as well. Giffen should always be welcome at the Legion table, in my opinion. He's contributed so much to the team and its history. I'll always be interested in whatever he has to say, write, and draw about the Legion.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
Never liked his art, but I'd have to say if he was to draw it, I'd be okay with him using his GDS style. I can't stand what he does these days artwise. His writing is fine by me, as long as he stops killing Karate Kid off every few years...

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chief Taylor:
quote:
P.S. Just look at the variant cover for DC Universe Legacies #6 ... I rest my case.

Er, I honestly think it's a decent cover, personally. I know it hasn't been a consensus favorite, but don't presume everyone agrees with you. [shrug]
Not presuming anything there CT ... I know better than that.
It is my opinion alone. Period.
I hate the art, you like the art, that's fine.

No analysis of my intentions is necessary, thank you very much.

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I loved the Giffen artwork around Legion Annual 1 and the GDS but it went downhill rapidly after that and by Magic Wars sucked. His artwork on 5YL was IMHO some of the worst art ever to be published in comics.

If Giffen comes back then it should be art consistent with the current Legion ie like he did in the early 80s.

--------------------
"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Ted McKeever's final few issues of DOOM PATROL during Rachel Pollack's run have my vote as worst comicbook art ever published.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
I loved the Giffen artwork around Legion Annual 1 and the GDS but it went downhill rapidly after that and by Magic Wars sucked. His artwork on 5YL was IMHO some of the worst art ever to be published in comics.

If Giffen comes back then it should be art consistent with the current Legion ie like he did in the early 80s.

I agree with what you said about Giffen's art circa the GDS, it was amazing and so refreshing at the time. But by the time the whole Prophet saga was over I was sick of his new shadowy style already (I seriously remember thinking back then "maybe the guy broke his arm or something???") and by the time 5YL rolled around it was honestly too painful to watch for me.

To be fair though, once he hit his true stride in writing the Legion I learned to enjoy and appreciate his storytelling after that.

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm... while I'm not really a huge fan of Giffen's 5YL art style (it would've been okay for a story or two, but needed more variation), it's pretty far from being worst art in comics, imo. Heck, it's not even close to be being the worst art in the Legion. Some of those guys who were drawing the reboot when it started to go downhill were just terrible.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Hmm... while I'm not really a huge fan of Giffen's 5YL art style (it would've been okay for a story or two, but needed more variation), it's pretty far from being worst art in comics, imo. Heck, it's not even close to be being the worst art in the Legion. Some of those guys who were drawing the reboot when it started to go downhill were just terrible.

I think there is a misconception of what BAD art means. It's like saying Picasso's art is awful when he clearly dominated so well the technique that he is able to stretch and explore new ways to express art.
To say that Ted McKeever or Giffen do bad art is an insult. You may say it's not to your tastes - that's fine. But it is not BAD ART. Bad art is Kevin Sharpe, who is unable to draw a single face expression, who has serious problems with storytelling, who clearly doesn't dominate anatomy. He's that bad. Giffen or McKeever are able to do whatever they want.
And both were at the top of the game during those mentioned runs.

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I've seen McKeever at the top of his game... and the last 4 or so issues of DOOM PATROL he completely phoned in and will always have my vote for worst published comicbook art.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Well said, Ric.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
ok i wont talk about the change in style from GDS to OMen and i wont even talk about the Time trapper story art. i'll just leave it as HE LOVES TO KILL KARATE KID, and we could have had KK alive if he wasnt sadistic enough to just kill him again. (by the way he said he would love to kill the new one that was in legion worlds too).

*that's why i dont want him writing for the legion anymore. Not that i didn't love what he contributed to it overal.

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Chief Taylor:
quote:

Not presuming anything there CT ... I know better than that.
It is my opinion alone. Period.
I hate the art, you like the art, that's fine.

No analysis of my intentions is necessary, thank you very much.

Well, that's cool, but if a lawyer rests his case, he (or she) generally feels that he has presented the best evidence he could to prove his point. So when you said that, it implied (intended or not) that said piece of artwork was all the proof we would need that Giifen's art is "hideous". That's what I took issue with.

I know Giffen, and specifically his artwork, is controversial and devisive, but he nonetheless does have his fans. I personally haven't loved every single permutation of his style but am a big fan particularly of his early work with Levitz and his work on 5YL.

So please, Giffen haters, keep in mind that different fans have different tastes and that if they disagree with you, that doesn't necessarily mean that you are right and they are wrong.

Respect always.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.