Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » ADVENTURE COMICS #1 (#504) SPOILERS! (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: ADVENTURE COMICS #1 (#504) SPOILERS!
Mediocre Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mediocre Boy   Email Mediocre Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
doncha luv-it when we get all educational!

Children don't need school: they need more Legion. Or Legion World at any rate. [Razz]

--------------------
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Okay, so the meek[s] shall inherit inherit the Earth, but what about the geeks? I still want Baffin Island--polar bears and all! :)

From: Brampton, Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, lots of swamps/marshes/lagoons/wetlands down here in the Midwest--especially BECAUSE the land is often so flat, the water moves very slowly. Chicago, my home, was described as a "swamp" prior to its settlement, with abundant flora including a stinky wild onion the natives called "chicagou." So there ya go. More edu-macation. Some would argue it's still a swamp, and still smells bad. I've gotten used to it.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Click for fullsize image

I'm a little more accepting with the methane/swamp connection. But, I'm still saying this issue lacked a lot for a first issue.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
What a delight to be able to go to the comic book store and get a comic book that I can anticipate every month. And I do eagerly anticipate the next chapter in this story. I'd be fooling myself if I didn't admit that much of my anticipation is because I get to see Element Lad again. And he's a chemistry teacher, not a philosophy or Sunday School teacher, whew!

Seeing the other legionnaires was a treat, too. I wonder if I should take Starboy's conversation with Bird Boy to mean that Quislet is in the past. Plus, I wonder if we've already seen Chameleon Boy--maybe hew was the one guiding Conner to Chemistry class, or in the Despero panel.

If I wanted to complain about anything, which is required for serious message board posts, I'd express my bother that the only black legionnaire wasn't even visible on the splash page--"Look out villains, here come a bunch of white kids!" I hope the Legion rookie has some ethnicity, or is just short or skinny or something other than "of a different hair style/color."

From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Holy-! Polar Boy is BLONDE?!

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Awkward Pause Boy:
Plus, I wonder if we've already seen Chameleon Boy--maybe hew was the one guiding Conner to Chemistry class, or in the Despero panel.

pencil sharpener
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I can't imagine Desparo saying, "Of course, Mr. Edge."

Sounds a lot more like Cham, to me.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Kayak
Italian Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Kayak   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
as a legion fan, i'm REALLY pissed off. in the end, we only got 4 mere pages of story! when i saw it i couldn't believe it... sigh.
i understand how johns wanted to introduce the legion to potential new readers, but... did he really have to use three of those little eight pages of story?
besides, i don't think that splash page was that memorable to justify the waste of space: clayton henry is a skilled artist but still average, and his faces look all the same (compare colossal boy's and brainiac 5's, they're identical!).
i repeat, as a legion fan i really felt cheated. i don't care if the superboy story was good, 'cause if it wasn't for the legion i wouldn't even thought to buy this book: i'm really cold about the kon-el character and i hated johns' teen titans book...

a tiny note about the cover: why did the use shooter's legion logo? i think it could be confusing...

another thing. it's pretty clear now that the next big storyline involving the legion will be set in 21st century. i can understand the sheer editorial logic behind that move: to introduce readers of common DCU titles to the legion of super-heroes. nonetheless, i don't think it's a very good idea: that way, i'm afraid the legion will look like just another super-team. instead, i think it would be way better for present-day DCU heroes to travel to the future and let readers see the 31st century through their eyes. batman or the justice league need to go to the future and awe in front of it: i think that would be a more honest and effective publicity for the legion. anyway, the story's just starting so who knows how it will develop!

--------------------
Ciao a tutti,
FABIO

http://www.nottolone.net/legione/

From: Milan, Italy | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
i think what he's doing is building up legion interest from the ground up. It maybe too little for us Experienced readers but for those who weren't into the legion this is a bite size snack they'll become hungry for and then it will be a full sized meal that they look forward too.

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
That may be the "plan," but if they don't start plotting things out better and tightening up the stories instead of throwing ideas against the wall to see what sticks, they're going to lose far more than they can gain.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gorilla Nebula
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gorilla Nebula   Email Gorilla Nebula         Edit/Delete Post     
not much "meat" in a first issue.
Johns is clearly building interest in LSHn in baby steps.
i liked the art just fine. Clayton does a nice future gloss, and attractive characters. not many comic artists do individual faces.
i'm glad they did a 2 page spread to introduce characters to new readers. can you imagine how it would have felt to not have that? the Night Girl/Shadow Lass mix up did bother me, but it often happens in legion books. too many of'em. it also bothers me ALOT that Timber Wolf's power blurb says "claws". ugh. i thought with this retroboot version they'd stop trying to Wolverine him.
bonus points for keeping the rocket ship shaped HQ that waid/kitson re-intro-ed.
can't help but want answers to many continuity questions...
do Garth/Imra have the twins?
are Ayla and Vi gay?
why does Chameleon Girl have improved power levels. i liked her better before when "all Durlans are not the same".
i think Duplicate Damsel is a dumb name. how about Multi-Girl?

--------------------
Gorilla Nebula

From: san francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked the Conner stuff a lot more than I thought I would. Not a fan of Conner really.

The Legion stuff was way too short of course but I did like what I saw in the teaser images. I liked Henry's artwork, except for the two page spread.

Lots of interesting subplots going on with the Legion in the 21st century now and since I love that kind of story I'm game to see it play out.

As for what DC is doing right now...IMO they definitely are rebuilding it from the ground up...more importantly, I don't really think they are trying to cater to Legion fans particularly, or at least not the diehards.

They're trying to build the audience from some of the other successful audiences they have...

A#1. Anything Johns writes.

B#1. The Titans base.

C#1. The Superman base.

#2. The Green Lantern base.

At least based on the books the Legion is appearing in now.

I think they pretty much realize that unless they pull new readers in the title is not going to be in publication as a regular title any longer...

Actually it already isn't.

Because they already know what it will do..

Launch at somewhere between 50-60k, be struggling to stay above 30k after a year, be down in the mid 20's and dropping and on life support after 3-4 years. Then poof, another relaunch or reboot. And it's not really because of the writing either. The book has had good writing and still sold quite poorly.

The Legion doesn't sell @25 k because it keeps getting rebooted, it keeps getting rebooted because it sells at @25k. Unless they expand their audience that isn't going to change any time soon.

As for the 21st century stuff...

I'm just thinking there's been stuff being teased with Brainiac 5 in Booster Gold for a few years now, since well before Jurgens was writing the title and Johns was still the main writer. That stuff is still being hinted at and I'm wondering if that is going to eventually tie in to the rest of the Legion in the 21st century.

Ditto the stuff with Dream Girl which goes all the way back to the LS arc. Even later on additions like Tellus and Cham etc.

And was that Mon-El shown with Conner in the teaser page at the end?

And I'm wondering if the Legion being in the 21st century has something to do with New Krypton as well...expecially considering Didio made some comments a while back about New Krypton rising to become an interstellar power....wouldn't be the first time the Legion has been involved in a war between Krypton(or a surviving variation of it) and Earth.

[ August 14, 2009, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Superboy ]

Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
One other thing...reading this issue didn't exactly feel like reading an Adventure Legion story...but the tone and format are very similar to the Superboy series of the early 70's.

You get the simple, almost homey Superboy story at the beginning and then all the futuristic Legion stuff in the backup. It's exactly like that old Superboy series....except no one doing this title has Cockrum's genius for redesigning costumes(and pretty much ushering in an entirely new era of comics at both companies with them).

Dave Cockrum was a huge part of the reason the Legion made it out of backup status back then...

Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardo:
quote:
Originally posted by googoomuck:
Is it possible that this is leading up to Kon-El becoming an active member of the LSH?

I really hope NOT. Conner is a teenager. LSH is adult. It would make no-sense, unless LSH became like JSA and started growing new "teen" members. Which in a sense seemed to be the direction Waid sort of implied for Threeboot.
I'm not sure how you arrived at the conclusion really...since there have been teenagers as part of the roster of adult Legions. Magnetic Kid was added to the Levitz Legion and even the 5YG had characters like Kono...And I'm not sold that the current Johns Legion is supposed to be particularly old either.

While it's been years since the Crisis for Superman, it's only been a few months since the Criis for this version of the Legion. As mentioned in the LS and the Action arc.

In the LS they said it had been 6 months since the Crisis and at the beginning of the Action of arc they said it had been a few months since the Lightning Saga.

I figure this version of the Legion the oldest members are probably 25-28 or so or about the same age as the oldest members of the Teen Titans.

Nightcrawler
Founder

If tying a concept to every other concept including the "popular" ones was a better way to get readers in the long-haul then there would be several series (JLA, Titans, etc.) pushing higher numbers than they actually do.

In fact, if this was the policy that DC was actively pursuing for the Legion or any book/series for that matter than they'd all be named BATMAN AND THE ______!

This is all just a bunch of filler crap that the editors are letting their hot writers of the day, Johns and Robinson, indulge themselves in until the next someone stumbles upon the next big thing.

Any Comic Book series that really matters and that builds a big and lasting audience need great writing and great (or at least interesting stylistic) art to reach word-of-mouth and casual buyers. Filler issues and confusing continuity (even for the Fans of a series) isn't going to help anyone especially the Legion.

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.