Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Jon Ross and the Legion of Super-Heroes (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Jon Ross and the Legion of Super-Heroes
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
the role playing game was made with Paul Levitz oversight so i would hold it with validity and I would assume Supergirl has more than Superboy is because she has more experience than Superboy at that point in time. As Superman he may have shown her all the tricks he's learned from his experience as Superboy and learned as Superman so on that basis it would make more sense for Kara to have more skill.

As for AP i couldnt tell ya lol.

Also for proof of Supergirl's skill level with this look at what happend in LSH 294 when Darkseid put his Omega effect on both of them..Kara was fast enough to avoid it But Kal-El wasn't and got sent back to his own time and couldn't return to the Legion till it wore off (as by his comments in LSH 300).

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beyonder-Prime, Champion of Life
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beyonder-Prime, Champion of Life   Email Beyonder-Prime, Champion of Life         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
She was shown diving through a Legion cruiser once to save Light Lass (I think it was in the "Cold and Lonely Corner of Hell" story). She came out with cuts and scrapes and said it hurt, but was relatively unharmed. I think this may be where her "invulnerability" was first depicted. I thought it was a mistake at the time to show her as semi-invulnerable, but if her body can survive the vacuum of space, she must be semi-tough.

...And let's not forget when Dawnstar visited Polar Boy's homeworld, she effortlessly endured the preternatural heat there, though any other non-native had to wear futuristic protection suits, while on planet. In fact, the White Which (who was on Tharn also) even fainted, because her protection spell against the heat wasn't strong enough!
Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I can buy folks not digging what could be considered stereotypical about Dawny (I fall more on the side of Blocks-- I thought she looked both cool and hot).

But how anyone who can survive unaided in space can be said to be not at the very least semi-invulnerable confuses me. I mean, this is space. SPACE! It's like, REALLY cold and there's no air and stuff. Maybe in the 4boot, Dawny can be rebooted as the all-new Endurance Girl.

(Yeah, I'm one of those "Dawny is one of the toughest chick Legionnaires" people.)

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beyonder-Prime, Champion of Life   Email Beyonder-Prime, Champion of Life         Edit/Delete Post     
Ah, but you're right about Dawnstar being one of the "thoughest" girl-Legionnaires. It doesn't QUITE scream right into ones faces, because DC never made it explicit; they only underscored her (so-called) "winged" flight, her tracking powers, and her all but ridiculous speed. But if we ignore DC HEROES and WHO'S WHO for a moment, and just go by the comics, we notice that Dawnstar is VERY powerful indeed:

Cosmic Flight:
Dawnstar can travel at speeds at least rivaling, and quite possibly exeeding the speed of Superboy.
At least when "adding" her speed to Superman, she could break the time barieer, and proved even able to force Superman's god-like body into a very specific point of all time.
Dawnstar proved fast enough to enter (and travel through) hyper space itself in a span of seconds, without showing the slightest sign of being even moderately winded, or something. You'd think she just came back from crossing the room.

Super-Tracking:
She was said to be able to follow a single dust particle right through the depths of hyper space-- and she even could track objects through the time stream.

(Limited) Invulnerability:
She could survive unlimited amounts of time in deep space, needing neither warmth, gravity, air, or any other form of sustenance. (Unless, of course, she fed on sun light, like plants. In that case, one wonders if she ever got to meet Chlorophyll Boy...)

Super-Strength:
Dawnstar proved able to bodily smash through objects that were "unbreakable" by 20th/21th century standards, such as space ships, or high-durability domes.
Furthermore, one of her signature moves was grabbing opponents, and jerking/throwing them around, as if they were dolls.

So. Hope THAT will be enough to show you Dawnstar haters that Dawnstar is far more then merely a "hot Native American chick with wings". [Razz]

Dawnstar IS a powerhouse: only it rarely shows because her main-powers are of a more non-agressive, supporting nature, whereas over a quarter of the Legion has even more devastating attack capabilities.

But she could rend most 20th century robots limb from limb, so I'd be careful around her...

Substitute

quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
I people insist on bringing logic and facts into this, I'm taking my keyboard and going home.

Cryboy... [tease]
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I'm totally digging your 'super-jerking/throwing foes around' description.

If they ever bring back the Legionnaires' little placards that used to be displayed in front of them with their names and power descriptions, Dawnstar's should say that instead of "super-tracking" or whatever!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Beyonder-Prime, Champion of Life:
quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
I people insist on bringing logic and facts into this, I'm taking my keyboard and going home.

Cryboy... [tease]
:PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP [Smile]

though with all this space flying through meteor particles and stuff, one might wonder how she could be brought down with an arrow. They were terribly inconsistent with her vulnerability aspects.

[ October 18, 2008, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: Blockade Boy ]

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I think back on the old board we may have discussed that her semi-invulnerability-- like her tracking-- was mainly space-based.

"Space-based"... I like typing that.

--------------------

jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
I'd say Dawnstar probably used her high speed velocity to accomplish her feats of "strength" and breaking through space ships and such. A semi-invulnerable body travelling at lightspeed would pack quite a whallop, without necessarily needing super strength to do it.

However, all these abilities were already in the Legion's repertoire before she came along. And who needs to track a dust speck anyway? Except maybe Horton. [Smile]

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

To be honest, though I'm a Dawny fan, it can be argued that Wildfire kinda abused his authority somewhat to bring Dawny onboard. He did have that crush on her and all.

One assumes she was voted in fair and square at some point, though.

Back to the original topic for a sec-- I know at some point I had these issues (I vividly remember the cover Jerry describes), because I had all the DCCP issues, but I honestly do NOT remember this story. Pete Ross really went apes#!+ and tried to kill Supes? I'll wager he was dishonorably discharged from Honorary Legionnaire status!

--------------------

Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
LOL lashy he was an adult (superman's age) so i doubt he really thought about the Legion in years. I guess Jimmy Olsen replaced him as their superman bestfriend link LOL...damn legion...always wanting the kids! [LOL]

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
I'd say Dawnstar probably used her high speed velocity to accomplish her feats of "strength" and breaking through space ships and such. A semi-invulnerable body travelling at lightspeed would pack quite a whallop, without necessarily needing super strength to do it.

And that's true. The old saw is that hurricane-force winds can embed a blade of grass in a telephone pole. I imagine that at just short of lightspeed, there's not much in the universe that's going to 120 lb woman...

If her 'invulnerability' just applies to environmental conditions, and the effects of acceleration and impact from her own velocity, then she's a one-woman wrecking crew, who can be blown out of the air by a handgun (assuming the handgun was in the hands of someone who could see and hit something moving at her speed!).

Similarly, if she's able to accelerate herself to near light speeds without flying apart under the strain, she would be able to accelerate someone she's holding along with her, and then stop, letting them take an unscheduled flight to Abu Dhabi. It would happen fast enough that it would look like a judo-flip to anyone else.

I like that! Dawnstar as a heavy hitter through *intelligent use of her powers,* not just adding various Superboy powers to her willy-nilly!

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.